Vacation ideas for East Coast....

ajwolfe

DIS Veteran
Had trouble coming up with a title that really summed up what I was looking for here lol. But ultimately we are from the Midwest and aiming to hit a few areas we've never been on next summers vacation. We will be driving; family consist of DH, myself, DS 15 and DS 11. We love historical stuff, outdoorsy activities and theme parks. So critique this plan or let me know what you think I may be missing that I should consider on this "loop" thru the Eastern states.

Driving up from MO with a stop by Lake Erie on the way to Niagara Falls, then heading to Hershey PA/Lancaster PA for a couple nights. After that considering a night or two in Philly and then 2 nights in Baltimore. Then potentially coming back thru West Virginia for the drive home - anything awesome there that we should be stopping to do on our way thru?

Thanks!!

I was going to say Valley Forge, Gettysburg and Middle Creek Wildlife Management Area. It is really neat. I went there on a field trip with my daughter. Neat place to see birds and hawks in their natural habitat. Up in NY make sure you go on the Erie Canal at the lock in Lockport. There is also a nice tour and boat ride on Lake Erie that leaves from Canalside in Buffalo, but I can't remember the name off hand. If you are interested let me know and I'll find out from my sister.
https://www.pgc.pa.gov/InformationR...reekWildlifeManagementArea/Pages/default.aspx

Depending on your route to/from, I'd look into stopping at the National Museum of the Air Force in Dayton. We did this on the spur of the moment traveling through, and wished we would've planned more time for it. It was very interesting!

Since you like theme parks I'd make a point of going to Cedar Point if you've never been there. It's been quite some time since I've been there, but it's the best amusement park for coasters I've ever been to.

On your way to the Hershey area, you could stop at the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon. Of course it's nothing like the real Grand Canyon, but it's a really nice area. We aren't hikers, but since you like outdoor activities, I'm sure you could find some hiking trails. We like the overlooks and just driving through the area. When I was a kid, we went every fall to see the leaves changing colors.

In the Hershey area, you have Hershey Park for another theme park. Since you're into history, I'd make a point of going to the Civil War Museum in Harrisburg. We went a couple years ago and loved it. Even the non history loving people, but I really loved it being into American history. Id prioritize Cedar Point over Hershey park, and use the day around Hershey area to do the Civil War museum and maybe the Hershey Story where you can taste chocolate and I believe make your own. As mentioned Gettysburg too, but I've never been there.

Lancaster is a nice area. I don't know if you've been to the Sight and Sound theater in MO, but there is one in Lancaster and I hear it's really a great show. I've never been there, but it's on my bucket list. I would look into taking one of the buggy tours while you're there too. Some have tours where you stop on working farms, and they're pretty neat for something different. Stop by Kitchen Kettle Village while you're there too. It's a little shopping area. Also, go to one of the smorgasbords for dinner.

I've never been to Philly. Being from Pittsburgh and frequenting Atlantic City I've been through many, many times, but never visited.

While you're in Baltimore, the aquarium and Fort McHenry are must do's! The inner harbor is pretty. We used to stay right there, and enjoyed just walking/sitting around the harbor.

You'd be close to D.C. while in Baltimore, but that would take up a few days.

Can't really help on the way back through WV. Never done much visiting there. Harpers Ferry is more towards Baltimore in WV. Never been there either, but it's a historical area.

Of course you won't be able to do all this (well, you could if you had a couple weeks off), but it's some things you could look into. My favorites would be: Cedar Point, Civil War Museum, Fort McHenry, and the Air Force museum. I really like everything I mentioned, but these are the places I'd really make a point to see.

If you do Valley Forge you must do King of Prussia if you like shopping. I vote for Hershey. I think you have what sounds like a great vacation.

If you go to Gettysburg, I highly suggest hiring a personal guide. They drive you around in your own car. It is well worth the money and really not all that expensive.

I’ll add the ghost tours in Gettysburg are a lot of fun too in the early evening. Not really scary....more history oriented.

A day in NYC? The play Wicked is a winner with everyone and dinner at Carmine's. It is $$$$ for one day though.

Had trouble coming up with a title that really summed up what I was looking for here lol. But ultimately we are from the Midwest and aiming to hit a few areas we've never been on next summers vacation. We will be driving; family consist of DH, myself, DS 15 and DS 11. We love historical stuff, outdoorsy activities and theme parks. So critique this plan or let me know what you think I may be missing that I should consider on this "loop" thru the Eastern states.

Driving up from MO with a stop by Lake Erie on the way to Niagara Falls, then heading to Hershey PA/Lancaster PA for a couple nights. After that considering a night or two in Philly and then 2 nights in Baltimore. Then potentially coming back thru West Virginia for the drive home - anything awesome there that we should be stopping to do on our way thru?

Thanks!!
This sounds like a great plan to me. I'm on the MD/PA border on the MD side and spend oodles of time in Hershey, Lancaster and Baltimore. We have annual passes to Hersheypark and think it is an awesome park! If you stay at the Hotel Hershey, Hershey Lodge or the Hershey campgrounds, you will get early access to the parks. This is a perk of our annual passes also and it is so nice to be able to hit Skyrush, the SuperDooperLooper and Comet without much of a wait. But there are plenty of other hotels in the area to stay at. We typically stay at the Fairfield Inn and Suites and have a mini weekend vacation.

In Lancaster, I would also venture to Strasburg and ride the railroad, check out the Train Museum and the Choo Choo Barn. The Hershey Farm and Miller's are two of our favorite Smorgasbords in the area. The Amish Farm is on your way to Strasburg. There are plenty of outlets to get some shopping in also between Hershey and Lancaster. There is a small amusement park, Dutch Wonderland, in Lancaster but it is geared more towards younger children. This is where we started with season passes when DS was 2 through 5 and then moved on to Hersheypark.

There is a lot to do in the Inner Harbor area of Baltimore- Fort McHenry, National Aquarium, Science center, Ripley's Believe it or Not, Baltimore Museum of Industry, Oriole Park to take in a baseball game.

As others have mentioned, Gettysburg is an easy hour away from either Hershey or Lancaster to take in the battle site.

Harper's Ferry, WV has kayaking if that interests you.

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks!!
In Philly:
  • Independence Hall
  • Liberty Bell
  • Constitution Center
  • Museum of the Revolutionary War
  • Christ Church and Franklin's Grave
  • Betsy Ross House
  • Franklin Institute
  • Elfreth's Alley
  • Reading Terminal Market
You're also close enough to the Jersey shore to make a side trip there to see the Atlantic Ocean. Walk the boardwalk, free beaches in Wildwood, Wildwood Crest and North Wildwood.

If coming from Valley Forge, drive down Route 202 and then head south on Route 1 to Kennet Square to visit Longwood Gardens. Stay all day on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday in the summer and see the main fountain show with lights and music at night. Quite something to see. No outside food permitted in the garden but there's a picnic grove on one side of the parking lot.

Washington DC would be about an hour from Baltimore. Traffic can be horrendous but it is a nice trip. We typically drive but have used public transportation to get there, as well. It would take a day away from Baltimore, but if you love outdoorsy things and historical things, you will definitely have plenty of choices.

Gettysburg is a must, great place to see. Also if you are going through WV on your way home, Harpers Ferry is great also. I used to live there for about 10 years.

Wow!! Such awesome info here for me to check out!!
Originally we were thinking Gettysburg instead of Philly but can we really do that all in 2 days? Which would those of you that have done both recommend we check out if we can only do 1?

I think we will save DC for another trip when we can spend several nights there and really focus on just that area. I did see the Harpers Ferry area and thought it looked really cool.

The main point in checking out Baltimore was somehow I've got a Orioles fan for a kid (Cardinals family here lol) so we wanted to surprise him with a game when in the area.

There's so much to do on the Eastern side I feel like we could take weeks to see it all, but sadly have about 9 days to do what we can this trip.

If you are going to an O's game, you can check out the Inner Harbor before heading over. The Science Center and Aquarium are popular. There are paddle boats you can rent, and the typical shopping/dining venues.

We went to Gettysburg in June and it was actually my first time there. I did not realize you drive your car all over the town of Gettysburg to the different sites. There is a very nice visitor's center with a food court, free activities you can sign the family up for, and they give you a detailed map. You can also do a bus tour. We loved having our car because we could just stop for lunch and resume at any time. I am not sure about the time, but you can always decide based on how tired/energetic you are.

Both cities are excellent but I’d do Gettysburg if I could only do one. So much to see and do and the history is amazing. Your kids would probably love climbing around on the huge rocks at Devils Den there.

I’ve been a KY native my whole life, with many trips through WV to visit my husbands family in Baltimore. Nothing really jumps out of me to do in WV (lots of hills), but I’ve heard many people enjoy The Greenbrier resort. Seems like lots of history there and it looks beautiful. Might be worth checking out and a good place to stretch your legs if you are traveling home via WV (It can feel like an incredibly long state….)

Wow!! Such awesome info here for me to check out!!
Originally we were thinking Gettysburg instead of Philly but can we really do that all in 2 days? Which would those of you that have done both recommend we check out if we can only do 1?

I think we will save DC for another trip when we can spend several nights there and really focus on just that area. I did see the Harpers Ferry area and thought it looked really cool.

The main point in checking out Baltimore was somehow I've got a Orioles fan for a kid (Cardinals family here lol) so we wanted to surprise him with a game when in the area.

There's so much to do on the Eastern side I feel like we could take weeks to see it all, but sadly have about 9 days to do what we can this trip.
Is there something specific in Lancaster you are wanting to see/do? Lancaster is a little closer to Hershey than Gettysburg but Gettysburg definitely has more history and outdoorsy stuff.

May I add to the PA mix and suggest Longwood Gardens? It's a BEAUTIFUL public garden originally owned by the DuPont family. It's in Kennett Square (the mushroom capital of the world). (Of course, I just re-read & realized that you've got boys. They might not be as interested as my girls.) It's in between Lancaster and Philly, and close to the Brandywine battlefield. Here's the tourism link for the area: https://www.brandywinevalley.com

(If you do come this way, let me know - I live/work in the area and can give recommendations on places to stay/eat/etc.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter