UY and Restricted Points

Bjaiken77

DIS Veteran
We talk about it all the time - keep the same UY. However, with the increasing number of restricted resorts, do you still see the need in matching UY if you buy resale restricted points?

I can see the obvious logic in keeping all restricted points associated with one resort in the same UY, but I’m not sure I see the logic in matching my existing UY. What difference does it make? I can only spend those restricted points at one resort, so why do I care if they don’t match the UY of my SSR or VGF points, for example?

As I’m writing this, I started thinking that having restricted points to pair with another resort on a split stay may be worth it. That’s about all I can come up.

The reason I ask is because it allows me to search for restricted resort resale points and try to find the absolute best deal regardless of UY. Right now, I’m struggling to see the benefit of matching, but I wanted to get other thoughts.

You're right that your restricted resale points can't flow to new resorts, etc but the opposite would still be possible. Splitting UY would just add to the complexity of using your unrestricted points in conjunction with the restricted unless you transfer them first.

We keep all our restricted and unrestricted in one UY. The deals are out there. Might be worth patiently waiting for a deal in your current UY unless you're in a time crunch to add on.

If you're, say, looking at cheap but restricted Riv points, I do see where you're coming from that you're most likely going to be using those for 11-month bookings. If that's the case, you're unlikely to be wanting to combine with unrestricted points at the 7-month & onward point anyway, and that would make UY matter less.

But, I mean, you do save a log-in? Or maybe you want to book a higher-point room someday that doesn't sell out as often by the 7-month point (e.g. "preferred" view villa/non-studio).

Yeah, I’m also considering VDH. I’m only going out there to go to DL, so I won’t be combining or switching (unlikely Grand Cal availability) anyhow. Also, my UY is October, so due to banking and borrowing, I rarely book in September. Unfortunately, the point chart is really favorable in September, and I never really utilize it.

Having different UY isn’t that much of a pain. You have the same member log in, and have a drop down menu to select which UY you want to book with. Considering you want to take advantage of the low points (and low ToT) in Sept, I would not choose an Oct UY for VDH.

It also gives me more of a chance to throw out some low offers. It shouldn’t get ROFR’d because it’s on sale. I’m ok if most - if not all - get rejected.

For our restricted RIv, we also have unrestricted direct VGF. So, having them with eligible points is really important because I can use the VGF if needed when booking RIV…granted at 7 months… but they would be available for waitlists, etc and would help me to not end up with stranded points.

I would not want them by themselves. Now, given that they are being pretty generous with allowing owners to transfer between their own memberships more than once, that could help but would not want to rely on that

I think the thing is you have a lot of DVC muscle memory/conventional wisdom that’s leftover from yesteryear that can be phased out as DVC has changed dramatically in recent years. In other words, what was once a golden rule simply becomes less relevant with more resorts restricted + 2042 rolling off from the pool.

Fast forward, 42 years may be a ways away for PVB, but CC resale becomes naturally boxed in.

Anyway, the pool of resorts to SAP with is going to shrink. So, the “keep the same use year” traditional golden rule becomes rather irrelevant. And fewer resort options offer fewer outlet valves. 11th month will be far more important as DVC shrinks for resale owners.

Perhaps, “keep the same UY within the same resort” should be the firmware update for the new conventional wisdom. Because DVC has changed substantially unlike any of the previous changes, the “Club” part of “DVC” is becoming less “clubbish.” You’re basically being pushed into “buy only where it’s possible for you to stay”

For our restricted RIv, we also have unrestricted direct VGF. So, having them with eligible points is really important because I can use the VGF if needed when booking RIV…granted at 7 months… but they would be available for waitlists, etc and would help me to not end up with stranded points.

I would not want them by themselves. Now, given that they are being pretty generous with allowing owners to transfer between their own memberships more than once, that could help but would not want to rely on that
I want to make sure I understand - because I’ve been thinking about purchasing Riv resale but also worried I could end up in a situation where I’m unable to use points at Riv the way I would like. Are you saying combo of restricted Riv plus direct would help…or restricted Riv + any unrestricted (direct or resale)? Thanks so much!

I think the thing is you have a lot of DVC muscle memory/conventional wisdom that’s leftover from yesteryear that can be phased out as DVC has changed dramatically in recent years. In other words, what was once a golden rule simply becomes less relevant with more resorts restricted + 2042 rolling off from the pool.

Fast forward, 42 years may be a ways away for PVB, but CC resale becomes naturally boxed in.

Anyway, the pool of resorts to SAP with is going to shrink. So, the “keep the same use year” traditional golden rule becomes rather irrelevant. And fewer resort options offer fewer outlet valves. 11th month will be far more important as DVC shrinks for resale owners.

Perhaps, “keep the same UY within the same resort” should be the firmware update for the new conventional wisdom. Because DVC has changed substantially unlike any of the previous changes, the “Club” part of “DVC” is becoming less “clubbish.” You’re basically being pushed into “buy only where it’s possible for you to stay”
You’re right about CCV and PVB becoming boxed in, but they will also have cheap point charts relative to the new resorts with later expiry dates, so will no doubt be popular!

Another thing to consider is the likelihood DVC will eventually introduce a way to upgrade/wash restricted points.

No doubt they are trying to differentiate resale from direct with how the points and membership can be used. It seems like they are preparing for that day when point washing goes on sale. The current path could be framing it so owners are actually grateful for when the option is finally offered lol.

Wisdom used to be buy the minimum direct and the rest resale, but more and more they are making the status of the points themselves important. I think they’ll continue in this direction.

So I’d think about the future and how likely or unlikely you’d eventually care full direct usage from those points. 8 years from now might you be tempted to pay $x to upgrade so you can do everything? UY would become important again in that case.

I want to make sure I understand - because I’ve been thinking about purchasing Riv resale but also worried I could end up in a situation where I’m unable to use points at Riv the way I would like. Are you saying combo of restricted Riv plus direct would help…or restricted Riv + any unrestricted (direct or resale)? Thanks so much!
In Sandi’s example specifically, she needs unrestricted direct points bought from Disney so she can still stay at RIV. Having RIV restricted plus some other resale points won’t alleviate problems such as stranded points or needing to waitlist, since you can’t use the resale points at RIV.

In Sandi’s example specifically, she needs unrestricted direct points bought from Disney so she can still stay at RIV. Having RIV restricted plus some other resale points won’t alleviate problems such as stranded points or needing to waitlist, since you can’t use the resale points at RIV.
Gotcha - makes sense - thank you!

Both can be a benefit. We have our direct RIV with SSR in our Aug UY but ended up with resale RIV in our Dec UY, which hold our some of our direct VGF.

Basically, having restricted points with unrestricted points will allows allow you to not strand the resale RIV if you are going to be staying at RIV regularly…which we do.

If you have resale and direct RIV, then you get the benefit if booking all at 11 months…but with a different home resort, you have to wait until 7…but for us, since we split stay or upgrade room size, it works!

I would not want my restricted points alone or with other restricted points…we had that with BLT points and sold after a year because it was frustrating not being able to use them when something showed up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter