Using Your Own Cup on Cruise

I'll probably get flamed for this but...I don't use one of their cups to refill my cup every time. My cup is clean, it has a lid and straw. I do not drink directly from the cup, thereby touching the cup to my lips. If my cup is clean, there is no difference in using it at the dispenser from the disposable cups at the station. Now, if you're drinking out of the cup and there is a possibility that your germs may touch the dispenser that is different and a separate clean cup should be used. I don't like wasting the cups at the station. There would be little point in using a reusable cup, except for size, if you're always using up a paper cup anyway.

I'll probably get flamed for this but...I don't use one of their cups to refill my cup every time. My cup is clean, it has a lid and straw. I do not drink directly from the cup, thereby touching the cup to my lips. If my cup is clean, there is no difference in using it at the dispenser from the disposable cups at the station. Now, if you're drinking out of the cup and there is a possibility that your germs may touch the dispenser that is different and a separate clean cup should be used. I don't like wasting the cups at the station. There would be little point in using a reusable cup, except for size, if you're always using up a paper cup anyway.
The issue would be others, seeing you use your cup, will think it's OK for them to use theirs. There are signs clearly posted (several places) asking people to please use a "fresh" cup for refills.

Even using a lid and straw, the back wash from the liquid in the straw returning to your cup will contaminate it. Then the splash of the spigot filling your cup could lodge on the spigot, contaminating other's cups. Yes, minimal chance, but still a chance.

Yeah, it's "unhealthy" to put your cup, not lid and straw, directly under the machine. But somehow it's ok for the cups to go under the machine. The cups are often handled by others (grabbed more than one by accident) who pull them apart by the top of the cup and stuff them back in the dispenser. Or the cups fall on the ground and get picked up (again by the top of the cup) and shoved back in. Don't even look at what happens to the plastic lids.

So, no, don't put your clean cup up to the dispenser. Much more sanitary to use the cups they provide.

My family brought our own cups on our first cruise (because it was recommended on every blog I read) but I found we never used them. We don’t drink cup after cup of soda so it wasn’t necessary to have to carry around an extra item like a cup all day.

I saw a guy refill his disposable water bottle with water from the soda fountain. He didn't let it touch the tap, but I suppose it could have splashed out.

But the cup never actually touches anything- these machines dispense beverage by a grubby human hand pushing a button for the desired drink....so maybe a handwashing station there would be a more effective method of preventing germ spread?

I use my own cup.

Also, I use the machine for ice and water all day, not soda.

Whether you use your own cup or not, there have been several studies indicating soda fountain machines (both self-serve and behind the counter) are unsanitary so your cup is likely barely making a dent in the "germ" factor.

True. And the bottle filler part on water fountains is also much more likely to be germy.

Nevertheless, I do my best to follow DCL rules.

As someone who has been in food service for over 30 years, including a Food and Beverage Manager position for Disney, the biggest contaminant in the entire drinking process is everyone’s fingers touching the buttons to dispense both the ice and the beverage. The use our paper cup sign is just lip service. With that in mind, I’m a rule follower and use one of the paper cups to refill my cup.

But the cup never actually touches anything- these machines dispense beverage by a grubby human hand pushing a button for the desired drink....so maybe a handwashing station there would be a more effective method of preventing germ spread?

I use my own cup.

Also, I use the machine for ice and water all day, not soda.

There are handwipe containers at the soda dispensing stations. We grab two -- one to use on our hands, the other to serve as a barrier between our now clean(er) hands and the dispenser.

We use the paper cups, even when using them to pour into our own cups.

SW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter