Using Verizon phone in DLP and Paris?

psimon

Will travel for turkey legs!
We have Verizon Wireless and was told for $10/day/phone I can do all the talking, data and texting I want between my group as well as calls back to the US using something called TravelPass.

Has anyone used this? Results? Opinions?

Many thanks...

---Paul in Southern NJ

I also have Verizon, and went to have my screen protector replaced...to get some info on international phone service... The travel pass is the way we are going...and are budgeting for an extra 100.00 for the bill when we get back.

Here's what I was told...

Its 10.00 bucks a day per phone and you can use it just like if you were here, you are using whatever your plan entitles you to ......not that you get extra, added services or get unlimited everything is just what you have on your plan...

If you have 2 phones that share a plan 10.00 dollars a day for each phone, I did not ask about I-pads or laptop... but I would think that they are 10.00 a day as well.

Your only are charge if you use the phone... so if you only use it 5 days while your gone lets say for 10 days... then you should be charged only 50.00 dollars.

Hope this helps...

Fantastic! Sadly... we are a family of 5 and I suspect I will need to find everyone probably once a day :(.

I see $10/day/person for a week! :sad2:

The upside is at least I will find everyone! :)

Thanks....

--- Paul in Southern NJ

Verizon also offers wifi calling. You put your phone into airplane mode and turn on the wifi. I had no problems making calls that way, and it's totally free!

For a family for a week you best bet is to rent a wifi router for the duration of the vacation. Maybe a couple if you think there's a chance you'll split.

I just used my Verizon phone with travel pass in Central America (same conditions). It was $10/24 hour period. After the first 1/2 mb of data you get throttled. It happened only once to me over at 15 day period. I could have paid an extra $10 to get 1/2 more high speed data for the remainder of the 24 hours. I had FaceTimeed for two hours that day in addition to normal Facebook etc so I wasn’t too surprised. I could still slowly Facebook and get maps for the rest of the day so it was not necessary to pay. Phone calls were perfect, although the recipient did not always get my number in their caller ID usually it was a Central American number. They were able to call me without issue. It may have been a Central American issue, but I never had above 3G. I turned my phone into a hotspot for my husband a couple of days, and that was good for him to use his phone when I got service and he didn’t. We’re going in August and I will use it again.

I just used my Verizon phone with travel pass in Central America (same conditions). It was $10/24 hour period. After the first 1/2 mb of data you get throttled. It happened only once to me over at 15 day period. I could have paid an extra $10 to get 1/2 more high speed data for the remainder of the 24 hours. .....

We noticed the data throttling when we were in Canada last year. When you call and talk to Verizon about data out of the country they don't tell you that. They just tell you the $10/day deal and never mention any limits.

The calling in either direction interested me. I though I read that you can call the States for no charge but there was a fee for the US calls to you out of the country.... there are no additional charges (other than the 410/day) either way?

---Paul in Southern NJ

The calling in either direction interested me. I though I read that you can call the States for no charge but there was a fee for the US calls to you out of the country.... there are no additional charges (other than the 410/day) either way?

---Paul in Southern NJ

There were no additional charges in either direction. I called all US numbers and all US numbers called my US number (area code 720) for the 10/day fee. When I was in a spotty cell area my phone listed “dial assist” and that is when my mom would see GUATEMALA on her caller ID, in the major cities when I called she saw my 720 phone number. The same when I was in spotty areas and she called me I saw UNITED STATES in my caller ID. So you may want to warn family that you’ll be in thouse countries and to at least answer in case you’re in a spotty cell area when you call them. Again no extra charges were incurred on either side. I only called US numbers so I can’t comment on charges had I called the hotel or a restaurant with my phone.

I think what you are reading is in relation to the other plan Verizon has that is $45/month. That option has less data,texts ,and minutes and huge overage costs. But is cheaper if you don’t plan on using your phone a lot. That option lets incoming calls and texts for “free” but when you call out or send a text it counts against what that plan allows. That plan wouldn’t work for me because I planned (and did) to call my mom everyday and texted a lot with pictures.

I will use travel pass again in France, but will sign on to WiFi when possible. An interesting fact I had thought I added travel pass on my own, but called before I left and it wasn’t on my phone. They were easily able to add it and I received an email that in the small print told me about the data throttle. The email was nice because it spelled out a lot of the instructions and information I needed.

I have the $50/month plan, so other than the throttling, I guess I am good to go!

---Paul in Southern NJ

I was in the Verizon store over the weekend... and double checked on the travel pass... she said and the manager said... that its 10.00 a day per phone/device... and its just like using your normal plan so whatever you have for your plan is what you can use, so if you go over your normal allowance/benefits then there will be a extra change...

We have 2 phones, and the I-pad... our plan is to use 1 phone a day to make calls and such... still going to be 100 bucks just for that... and that's of course if we stick to the plan...

Our friends thought that it was just 10.00 a day... for all device's... 3 phones, I-pads, and lap tops... their bill was 1,500.00 for 2 weeks... ouch....

What they didn't tell you about is the data throttling after 500Mb per day. Found that out the hard way in Canada.

---Paul in southern NJ

We only plan to use it to text DD and my parents once a day and our good friend who is house sitting for us.... to make sure everything is okay, short and sweet...and for DH to look at emails once a day for work... so really not much at all...

Good, though even getting email, depending on volume can chew it up quickly.

---Paul in Southern NJ

you do realise they have free Wifi in Disneyland Hotel, which is at the entrance to the main park. All you need to do is just sit in the lobby or go up to the shop / Cafe Fantasia area and connect to the free WiFi. You can then use Whats Ap to text or make phone calls. You can also use Facebook Messenger to make free phone calls when you are connected to the free WiFi.

I used it 3 years ago in Paris and there were strict data limits, but overall it was fine. I had turned off all app updating and location services to minimize data usage. I only checked email from the hotel while on wifi. I was doing fine, and then I had to use gps because we got lost on our way back from Disney. That used up all my data for the trip. Luckily it was the only time I needed it. I am planning on buying it again for this trip.

This is info they sent me. Hope it helps.

TravelPass uses your domestic plan
allowances for a daily fee

Per line/day

Allowance

$10

France and England

Uses Domestic Talk, Message, and Data

• A 24 hour session starts when you place or answer a call, send a text or use data in a TravelPass country.
    • This includes background data and automatic updates. Incoming texts do NOT start a session.
  • If you don’t use service, you won't be charged the daily fee.
  • When ½ GB of data is used in one TravelPass session, the data speed will be reduced.
    • We'll send a text that lets you purchase additional high speed data OR the speed will simply resume with the next session.
  • No need to remove TravelPass when you return. It doesn't bill in the US.
  • Calls to numbers within the TravelPass country and calls to US numbers are covered by your domestic plan.
  • See TravelPass FAQs for more information.

Plan Options Here are some possible plans. This email is not a confirmation that a plan has been added or is available to this specific mobile number.

TravelPass uses your domestic plan allowances for a daily fee

Per line/day

Available Countries

Allowance

$10

France and England

Uses Domestic Talk, Message, and Data

• A 24 hour session starts when you place or answer a call, send a text or use data in a TravelPass country.
    • This includes background data and automatic updates. Incoming texts do NOT start a session.
  • If you don’t use service, you won't be charged the daily fee.
  • When ½ GB of data is used in one TravelPass session, the data speed will be reduced.
    • We'll send a text that lets you purchase additional high speed data OR the speed will simply resume with the next session.
  • No need to remove TravelPass when you return. It doesn't bill in the US.
  • Calls to numbers within the TravelPass country and calls to US numbers are covered by your domestic plan.
  • See TravelPass FAQs for more information.
Monthly Pricing talk, text & data or data only allowance for a monthly fee

Per line/mo

Allowance

Overage

$40

Talk: 100 min, Text: 100 sent msg / unlimited incoming msg, Data: 100 MB

$.25/min, $.25/msg, $25/100MB

$85

Talk: 250 min, Text: 250 sent msg / unlimited incoming msg, Data: 250 MB

$.25/min, $.25/msg, $25/100MB

$25

Data: 100 MB, Talk: Pay As You Go, Text: Pay As You Go

$25/100MB

$50

Data: 250 MB, Talk: Pay As You Go, Text: Pay As You Go

$25/100MB

FWIW, free Wi-Fi is supposedly now available in the Disneyland Park (though it's not yet working as good as the on in the WDS)

As an FYI, when we were in Canada in October, they DID NOT send notice that we had used the 500Mb of data and would be throttled. It just happens.

---Paul in Southern NJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter