Using Uber on Australian phone app

ozliz

DIS Veteran
I am considering using Uber in Orlando on my next trip as I hear it’s cheaper than taxis has anyone used Uber in the USA while on an Australian mobile? Is the Uber app I download from the Australian App Store functional in the USA? Do I need my phone to be roaming the whole time so the trip can be tracked? Or is it just enough to have some free wifi when I order the Uber?

I downloaded both the Uber and Lyft apps here in NZ and used them both happily the whole time I was in the States. I always compared prices before ordering and 9 times out of 10, found Lyft to be cheaper.

My phone company has special roaming packages which I prepaid before I went and found useful.
You could just order a Lyft with wifi, but being connected to internet throughout the whole journey is useful as it allows you to track your route and apply an instant grading (and tip should you choose) at the end of the journey. Also, the apps will sometimes suggest you walk a few metres from the ordering point to a meeting point, and if you loose wifi in that distance, you won’t be able to track when the car is arriving.
So in short, having some form of roaming is not essential, but definitely useful.

I too used Lyft in Orlando with no issues. The apps for whatever rideshare are the same, Australian/US mobile makes no difference.
I also ordered several Lyft’s using the hotels or a MacDonalds WiFi with no issues prior to getting a local SIM card. I wouldn’t roam with an Australian mobile, data costs $5 to $10 per day at least.
All the best.

We also used Uber in Orlando with no issue.
Only wished we got a local sim this time instead of paying $10 a day with our Aussie provider.
As mentioned above it helps being connected to see when the car is arriving as sometimes the pick up point has weak WiFi connection.

Hi, I’m with Vodafone so I have red roaming which is a good deal. I’ve just found that I’ve not needed to activate it for recent trips as I can call back home online using wifi and finish all the Disney organising on their wifi too. Mostly just need to consider that additional cost if I’m estimating fare prices.

Great to know that the Aus/NZ app works I’m USA though. That’s not always the case which can be annoying.

I bought a US sim card before leaving Australia (a company in Sydney sells them) because I like to have access at all times and to have the ability to call others in our party when they go walkabout. I used Uber and found they were convenient and all the drivers were lovely. Enjoy your trip ☺

I have a Samsung and buy USA sims to use when we are over there. For whatever reason I could not get the Uber app to work. Lyft however worked a treat and was awesome! We used it in California for getting to/from Anaheim from/to LAX, different shopping malls, to/from Legoland. Was cheaper than taxis which we have used in the past. Was so easy to use as you can see when the car is arriving, who the driver is, follow their route on the map, see how much it will cost before booking and not have to deal with actual cash.

How do you pay for tips with uber? Do you pay cash at the end or can you do it electronically?

When the driver “completes” the job, you get notified through the app to rate the driver and the option to tip appears then. It is completely optional as is any tipping in the USA.
All the best.

Reactions: kyl
When the driver “completes” the job, you get notified through the app to rate the driver and the option to tip appears then. It is completely optional as is any tipping in the USA.
All the best.
Thank you :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!