using redweek.com

margot31

DIS Veteran
For those that have used redweek.com can you tell me more about your experience?

So I have an account with them and i have been looking at some great deals at some of the resorts in the orlando area. How easy has it been to set up a stay with the owners? Generally have you found really great deals as you get closer to the dates you want to go?

I know I am trying to find the best deal and all but I also have to deal with my husbands job which is always changing....so rather using like VS or trip bound (who i would recommend working with since they now have a better cancellation policy) that wondering if a last minute type booking with an owner would be better.

We have been doing LOTS of research since doing so much reading on this site as well as looking into different companies that deal with the points and so on and so on.

Didn't see anyone else post, so thought I'd comment. Hopefully you will hear from others who have used this site more recently than I have too. I've only used Redweek.com three times, but it did work out great for us all three times. It was very easy to setup a stay with the owner, and the three different parties we dealt with were all great to work with. // I booked my stays about the same time that I booked my airline tickets, about four months in advance. I was happy with the price and didn't keep checking etc., so don't know about deals closer to the time. I've been coming down to Orlando for years, over 20 trips, so am pretty familiar with what seems like a good price for a condo. I have usually found more reasonable prices at timeshares that are larger with lots of renters (Cypress Point -- owners seem to have flexible week and can get your dates) // Sheraton Vistana Resort -- fixed weeks, but a huge resort - so usually plenty of owners renting units your week and all sections are nice).

The cancellation policies of the individual owners I was dealing with weren't good for last minute cancellations. If you need something that is fully cancelable due to uncertainty, this might not be a good option for you. Or you may need to take out your own insurance. An individual owner might just have one or a few timeshare weeks. They are going to be less flexible than a company with tons of units and tons of business. They want to make sure they get the rents to cover their maintenance fee, etc. I have found small privately owned lodges, etc. to be similar to this too.

Orlando is overbuilt so there are lots of different sources and ways to go. TUG2.net classified ads section has a bargain basement section for last minute deals that you might want to take a look at if you are most interested in a last minute booking and getting the best deal you can. This (TUG2.net) is a timeshare users group website that I have done lots of rentals from. They have a regular classified ads section and a last minute one too.

And maybe as a backup just in the off chance you don't find a last minute deal you like, you could book something fully cancelable you could live with and then cancel it if you find a great last minute bargain??

One comment on last minute for flexible in price. For a Marriott timeshare resort in West Palm Beach, I remember years back renting one unit for $1200 for a week (unit slept eight) and wanting a second (large extended family group). Retail at the time was $380 a night plus tax on the same units from Marriott. I booked my original unit 10 months in advance from an owner on TUG (looked into the want to trade area and found someone willing to rent for me for $1200 -- they were going to trade with Marriott for airline tickets, but was willing to rent to me for the cash they needed for the tickets), kept looking every month or so, but only saw one of the person advertising a unit and they wanted $3000 for the week, which I thought was way too high. Anyway, I contacted them anyway, knew they had been advertising for at least three months, mentioned that I had rented a unit for $1200 and asked if they would rent theirs for that. They told me no way, that they could easily get $3000. Anyway, I was really nice and said that if they changed their mind even very last minute, to give me a call. In the meantime, to make sure I'd have something where folks could stay I booked a fully cancelable reservation at a more basic hotel across the street for $180 a night (a double queen room I hoped I wouldn't need to use). It wasn't looking good. But three weeks before my trip, the folks called me and rented me their unit for $1200 which I was thrilled about. // This is a totally different market than Orlando though. In Orlando there is so much to rent -- renter's market.

Last edited:
I rented Bonnet Creek last November over T'giving weekend.
(1) I called redweek and learned that they could tell me that the owner had listed with them several times before, rents had gone thru, no complaints. That put my mind at ease.
(2) I called Bonnet Creek and learned that the owner in fact had those particular dates reserved in his name before I made the ressie.
(3) The price was reasonable for my listing. $150/night for 4 nights over T'giving weekend.

It was very nice.

how long does it typically take once you've messaged owner about a rental to get a response? I am trying to be patient.. :)

how long does it typically take once you've messaged owner about a rental to get a response? I am trying to be patient.. :)

I've only contacted the one person in the one transaction. It was within 24 hours. My opinion is that if someone is not getting back to you within 24 hours, or later with a good explanation like being in the ER or at a funeral, it's not a good sign. I would not do business with them.

I have just rented within the last 2 weeks. My stay not til Labor Day week, but all communication was done within hours by the owner and redweek. I even have received direct confirmation with Wyndham. I will let everyone know how the check in process and stay went when I return.

I've only contacted the one person in the one transaction. It was within 24 hours. My opinion is that if someone is not getting back to you within 24 hours, or later with a good explanation like being in the ER or at a funeral, it's not a good sign. I would not do business with them.

I agree, it has me worried.. I gave the benefit of the doubt since it was a weekend..
The exact same rental is listed on VRBO,, and it turned out to be a company..their price is $1,000 more than the one listed on redweek.
I think its the same bc the 7 nights is split into a 3 and a 4 night rental... and it starts on the Tuesday after Christmas.. and the travel company sent me all the dates available for dec. that is seen on redweek...same format everything.

Last edited:

One of my friends always rents thru redweek if she goes to Orlando for a week. She says she's always able to get a good deal. If anyone is questionable in communications, she does not deal with them.

I just got back from my stay. Everything went seemless and perfect. I would definitely be looking on Redbook to rent agin in the future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter