Using mini-bar as mini-fridge?????

PattiPB

<font color=green>I'll be happy to learn the secre
I remember reading somewhere about someone removing some mini-bar items (NOT using them!!!) to put some milk or other items in there to use as a fridge. Does this sound familiar to anybody else??? If so, could I fit a quart of milk and a few lunchables in there, or no????? I don't want to waste the money to get a fridge if I don't have to!

Thanks!

Patti

I moved stuff around in mine but didn't take anything out. I think I put a couple of water bottles in and yogurt and some muffins. It is not a ton of available space, but I'm sure you could be creative in stacking things.

not sure what you mean by a deluxe room but I staid at the PBH in a room with two double beds (your standard type room) and I had the mini-fridge/bar there. I'm assuming if that basic room had one, all have one but I could be wrong.

Does anyone know if the club rooms come with the frig? Can we request to have the items removed. We really need the frig for our daughter's insulin and juice boxes for her. And it would be nice to keep extra water in the room--I heard the FL water is bad.

We stayed at the RPH July 6-10th and there was a mini bar in a cabinet with the TV On the top of the counter with a little coffee maker and on the other side a ice bucket and some glasses, We didn't use the mini bar or even asked if we wanted too when we checked in. We bought a plug in cooler we left pluged in our room and it worked great for our breakfast items and drinks, we saved alot on water ect... Just would have been nice it there was a closer grocerie store around there? Went to Wal-Greens but they were picked over and the check our line was real long.

A couple of suggestions :)

On the way to the hotel stop and grab a styrofoam cooler. That way you have the space to keep what you like. I found their mini bars do not hold anything like a quart of milk and if it does it doesnt get all that cold to keep it. You can refill the cooler daily with ice (or twice if needed). We put milk and yogurt and soda's and water for the week.

tazz,

We needed a fridge during one stay for antibiotic's for my son. They brought one to the room and never charged us for it. Call and ask ahead about it they are very accomodating! Yes, the water is yucky! But really it probably isnt it just doesnt taste good to us being from NY, I'm used to our water. Good Luck.

In April we bought a styrofoam cooler while at WDW, but I am just not comfortable with milk in it! I don't know why---call it neurotic!!!!! I think I'll just send DH to the sundries shop in the morning for pint milk cartons. It would still be cheaper than renting a fridge!

We will be buying another styrofoam cooler this trip, because after UO we are heading to Asheville, NC, and it will be 30 miles to a grocery store!!!

BTW tazz---if you have a medical necessity for a fridge, they will bring it to you free of charge. It's considered an ADA issue.

Patti

This was shocking to us, but the sundries shop does not sell milk!!!!:eek:

We wanted milk for our 3 year old and we would have to buy it from the orchid lounge (continental breakfast time only). Other than that, I think you could only get it through room service, but it is not cheap by any means!!!!

The sundries shop only sold water, soda and juice, no milk.

We were there last week and we emptied the minibar and put in our own drinks. I'm pretty sure it would hold a quart of milk and some other stuff. We fit a bunch of capri suns, mini gatorades and a few bottles of water, even some leftover food from the restaurants. But when the person came in to check the minibar she said there's a $30 charge per day since we emptied it, even though we didn't use any of the stuff. But we said that the people at the front desk told us we could empty it when we asked about that, so i don't think they charged us. So if it costs that much to empty it and costs $15 a day to rent a refrigerator, I'd just bring a cooler.

By the way, what's wrong with the water in Florida? I've heard people say it's bad. Do they mean it tastes bad or is it bad for you? We drank a lot of water when we were there and my brother is really sick now. I don't think it could have been from that though, right?

I should have said it tastes bad, not that it's bad. I think the water tastes different almost everywhere so it's what you're used to. I think our water in Oregon has too much chlorine. So, we filter our own water to get rid of that taste. At work, I drink bottled water and I always bring bottled or a refilled (w/filter) water in the car with me too.

We buy a nylon cooler that can be folded up in our suitcase to bring on trips. They seem to keep the ice from melting better than sytrofoam coolers, therefore, we buy a gallon of milk and juice when we arrive in town.

We take Tiffany Towncar Service from the airport (who has a 20 minutes grocery stop on the way) to our hotel. We get our cooler out of our suitcase before we arrive at the hotel. We put in our milk and juice after the grocery stop. When we get to the hotel and it's not time to check into our room, we just make sure we add ice to our cooler which we have already put the milk and juice in, and leave it until later. It's always plenty cold. We just keep adding ice each morning and/or night to the cooler. Once we do get to the room, we keep adding daily pop and water. We bring a few water bottles every day to the park to also save money.

I agree it's not worth it to mess with their refridgerator charges!

Spideyhulk---That is just WRONG!!! Thank you so much for warning me. I would have been stunned when I got there. I'll just have to use the styrofoam, or our small collapsible cooler.

PF3412---$30 just to empty it! Give me a break!!! LOL!!!

Re: water---The water in FL has always smelled and tasted a little different to me JMHO!!!!!! However, when we moved from NJ to Vegas 7 years ago, we went through a tough time with my 2 yo---her poop turned GREEN, like Hulk green!! The pediatrician told us it was her system getting used to the water!!! [ this is the kid for whom I need milk---she only likes milk and water---no juice or soda] So what I'm saying is the water is HEALTHY, but your body may react to the different filtering process.

Patti

We were at the HRH July 17th thru 21st. We asked at check-in about emptying the mini-fridge and were also told that they would be happy to, BUT there would be a $30 per day charge for the privilege.:eek: Of course, we declined and decided to just leave the key to the frig. at the front desk, as we had at all the previous hotels this trip. This eliminated the temptation of an 11 and 15 yo. from helping themselves.;) Our cooler worked out fine, and although the 5th floor often didn't have ice, my DH was able to get it on other floors. One suggestion: take along some gallon size Zip-loc bags to puts things in the cooler that you don't want to get wet.

SpideyHulk24,
I couldn't agree with you more about the lack or accessibility of basic grocery items. This was our biggest disappointment in the HRH. Next time we will be better prepared.

PattiPB,

Have you tried the Parmalat milk for your daughter? My daughter loves the stuff and it requires no refrigeration (until opened) so keeping it in a lukewarm cooler wouldn't hurt it at all. Oh yea it comes in little drink box size (1/2 pint I think) and quarts.

Angela

Also if you don't have it in your area you can get it delivered from netgrocer.com

You know, Angela, I've never tried it. Maybe I'll pick some up---we really only need it for breakfast in the AM. I can get "regular" milk in the parks w/ their kid's meals at lunch.

Patti

When we were at HRH in 2001, we put in 2 cans of soda, withour removing anything from the mimi fridge. When we got back to the room, our 2 cans were on top of the dresser. I guess that was their way of telling us we may not use the fridge!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter