Using Children's TS Credits: Will this work?

Aflyingbuttress

Mouseketeer
We have the DDP for an upcoming trip. We're 2 adults and 1 child (5). I'm wondering if this scenario would work.

Let's say we eat at a TS restaurant with a children's menu and pay for my daughters meal OOP. We'd use 2 TS credits for myself and my husband, saving her TS credit. Then later we go to a TS restaurant without a children's menu, we could pay for her OOP again and use the TS credit for myself? (I understand this won't work at buffet restaurants).

If so, do we have to tell them that we want to use the children's credit? Also, can we share?

Neither of us have the capacity to eat a huge meal and tend to graze so I am trying to figure out how to avoid getting two large plates of food and wasting half of both.

I’m not aware of any TS restaurants without a children’s menu. Based on how the credits work, I’m pretty confident that there aren’t any. Hence, your plan won’t work.

No, won't work. Credits on the standard DDP are differentiated by adult/child. Children's credits must be used to order a child's meal.

I'm not aware of any TS restaurants that do not have a children's menu. Not saying there aren't any, I'm just not aware of any.

We have the DDP for an upcoming trip. We're 2 adults and 1 child (5). I'm wondering if this scenario would work.

Neither of us have the capacity to eat a huge meal and tend to graze so I am trying to figure out how to avoid getting two large plates of food and wasting half of both.

Did you get the dining plan as part of a free dining package or did you pay for it? If you paid for it, I would seriously consider cancelling the dining plan and just pay OOP for what you truly want to eat, otherwise, you will get large plates of food and be wasting half of both.

Did you get the dining plan as part of a free dining package or did you pay for it? If you paid for it, I would seriously consider cancelling the dining plan and just pay OOP for what you truly want to eat, otherwise, you will get large plates of food and be wasting half of both.

We got the play, stay, dine package. The cost of the plan was $938 for 7 nights. Originally we were booked for 6 nights, but I extended a day. I did calculations based on 6 nights and figured we broke even. We know we're going to eat at Akershus twice, Crystal Palace, and BOG, all for breakfast.

Akershus - $130 x 2 = $260
Crystal Palace - $80
BOG - $75
Refillable Mugs, which we will buy regardless - $54
We will eat 2 snacks per day - $210 (@ $5 each)

That puts us at $679 already for only 4 meals.

It seems like it would be a savings as we'd only need to eat $259 worth of food over about 5 days to make that up. If we did 2 QS per day at an average of $30, that's $300. I figured we'd have the option to eat at some nicer places for about the same amount of money. And if we wanted to, we could share credits, so to speak, we could actually eat 3 times per day.

But, I don't know. Now you have me rethinking it. Maybe I'm not thinking of it right because we could share meals at some of those places and the cost wouldn't bee as high as I've calculated it.

But, I don't know. Now you have me rethinking it. Maybe I'm not thinking of it right because we could share meals at some of those places and the cost wouldn't bee as high as I've calculated it.

To clarify that, I mean maybe I shouldn't be calculating 2 QS meals per day at full price because many times we will share. Which would be about half of what I've calculated.

We got the play, stay, dine package. The cost of the plan was $938 for 7 nights. Originally we were booked for 6 nights, but I extended a day. I did calculations based on 6 nights and figured we broke even. We know we're going to eat at Akershus twice, Crystal Palace, and BOG, all for breakfast.

Akershus - $130 x 2 = $260
Crystal Palace - $80
BOG - $75
Refillable Mugs, which we will buy regardless - $54
We will eat 2 snacks per day - $210 (@ $5 each)

That puts us at $679 already for only 4 meals.

I would definitely redo the math, especially if there is also a room discount out there that would save you some money.

BTW, your BoG price can be lowered. You don't all have to order at breakfast; you can order just one meal or just get cupcakes if you want. So take another look there as well.

I would definitely redo the math, especially if there is also a room discount out there that would save you some money.

BTW, your BoG price can be lowered. You don't all have to order at breakfast; you can order just one meal or just get cupcakes if you want. So take another look there as well.

Thank you for pointing this out. I really didn't think of it in those terms so that was super helpful. I redid the math and I think if we actually ate at 7 table service restaurants and all ordered a meal, we would see some significant savings. But that was just a perk and I think we may not actually want to do that, making it restrictive and potentially more expensive. So I did find a good room rate (I had a UOC to use) and moved us over to POR instead of CSR without the dining plan for $700 less. In the end we will probably spend a bit more than we'd planned with the dining plan, but that will be on the hotel, not the food, and we will have more flexibility.

Thanks for the advice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts