Using another airline

Dakota731

DIS Veteran
other than Southwest since they don't have departure city I need so my question is for an economy rate, the tickets are not changeable or able to be cancelled. Should I buy trip insurance or what is my alternative in case something would happen and we can't make the trip?

I usually buy private trip insurance and get the cancel for any reason one. Try insure my trip. I've had to put in claims for travel delay and medical over the years and never had any issues with getting reimbursed

First read all the terms of the economy as some restrictions may be a deal breaker and costing you more in the end those seats are better suited for day travel with no bags and not caring about having a middle seat.... Then search private insurance, also check your credit card as it sometimes covered for free or sometimes a fee.

other than Southwest since they don't have departure city I need so my question is for an economy rate, the tickets are not changeable or able to be cancelled. Should I buy trip insurance or what is my alternative in case something would happen and we can't make the trip?
Welcome to the sad world of those of us who don't have Southwest. The "alternatives"

-Pay the change/cancel fee (usually around $200/ticket, check the airline's policies before purchasing)
-buy/have travel insurance paying attention to the advice above
-lose all the money you spent on tickets if you don't take the flights, depending on the airlines change/cancel fees this can actually be cheaper than trying to cancel/change the trip

Oh, since you aren't used to this- be aware of "basic economy" and know EXACTLY what that means for that specific airline if you book a basic economy fare (generally no carry on, no advanced assigned seats, party will not be sat together (exceptions for young children I think) ).

And don't forget to budget the cost of checked bags each way. I think all the major airlines are at $30 except for JetBlue who literally yesterday went to $35 (but you still get $30 if you buy your bag before 24 hours prior to departure).

Last edited:
Here in Minneapolis, I don't use SW because their prices are never economical nor comparable to the other airlines. For our upcoming trip to Disney, two tickets would have been over $1100 dollars according to their website and that was the cheapest class of fare offered. Delta on the other hand was $600 for basic economy, and I have the Delta credit card so no bag fees. Even Main Cabin was $700 which is allowing us to pick our seats. SW just isn't affordable here

Here in Minneapolis, I don't use SW because their prices are never economical nor comparable to the other airlines. For our upcoming trip to Disney, two tickets would have been over $1100 dollars according to their website and that was the cheapest class of fare offered. Delta on the other hand was $600 for basic economy, and I have the Delta credit card so no bag fees. Even Main Cabin was $700 which is allowing us to pick our seats. SW just isn't affordable here

It's been the same for us. We used to use SW all the time because they had the best prices/flight times. Now they no longer offer any non-stops and their prices are a lot higher than other carriers. Lately we've been flying either Delta or JetBlue. Prices are better, there are plenty of non-stop flights and I can pick my seats.

Darcy03231, you have another good point! Flying from Minnesota to Ohio, I had to connect in Baltimore. It made no sense at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!