• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Using a wheelchair AND deaf facilities

Mazzy

Planning for 2019
Gosh!! This trip is taking some planning, now it is pretty certain I will have to use a wheelchair to get around, I'm just wondering about the shows, and whether I will still be able to use the reflective captions in the wheelchair.

I remember that usually you sit on the front row for the reflective captions, but can't remember whether there were any wheelchair spaces on the front rows?

There is always the option that I can get out of the chair and sit on a normal seat on the front row, if there is somewhere nearby to store the chair during the show, as I can walk fine, just the pain in my foot starts if I walk too far (my outdoor walking is limited to around 20 mins a day to avoid inflammation increasing).

Thanks for any help with this! :D

Mazzy,
Lisa(Talking Hands) has a great deal experience with using her powerchair and the services for the deaf. I'm sure she will post soon with a wealth of info for you.
Have a great trip..

Yes, Lisa will be able to help you out.
The one thing I can tell you that I have learned from Lisa's posts is that a Guest Assistance Card (GAC) is very useful for someone who is using a wheelchair and also has an invisible disability that they require different assistance for.

Thanks Nanajo and Sue - Lisa doesn't seem to be around at the moment, maybe she is in WDW! :D

Lisa wasn't around because Lisa was at Disney World at the Pin Celebration Event.
Be sure to get a GAC stating that you need both the PC and deaf services. Be sure to get the CC clicker from Guest Services ($25 deposit) also the PDA($100 deposit) Deposits can be put on your credit card.
In some venues you will have to transfer to a seat to use the reflective captioning but in others they have places for you. If a castmembers tells you they can't accommodate both needs tell them nonsense because they do it for me all the time.
And if you have any problems contact Mark Jones after so he can work on getting it fixed.
I had a slight problem last trip and it was fixed on this trip.

Hi Lisa

I hope you had a great time at WDW at the Pin Celebration - I thought you might be in our favourite place! ;)

Thanks for your help with this, it looks like I will be OK as I can get out of the chair no problem.

Sorry to be ignorant here, but what is a PDA? Is it the gadget you need to access the new portable subtitling system?

Hooray! Lisa wasn't MIA but having a Disney time. I knew it had to be something big, like pin trading, to keep Lisa from answering. Hope you had a wonderful time and got some good pins.

Yes the PDA is the device for the subtitles. It is great. You can get it at MK and EPCOT.
Yes I got great pins. I also got to meet a lot of people from DIS. They are wonderful.

I was pretty sure that's where you were, Lisa, but I didn't want to say anything since I wasn't positive.
Sounds like you had a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter