Using a Cricut with traditional construction paper

lovingthemouse

magic is in the heart of the beholder...
I have been trying to cut traditional construction paper into shapes and letters with limited success. With cardstock I am fine but I like the longer paper, like 12 x 18. Any suggestions on pressure (been trying 3), needle pt (been using 4/5), so that the paper does not have that pulpy, shredding effect?

construction paper has the pulpy made into it which is why it cuts that way & why we don't use it because it would be alot cheaper to use
sorry

I would make sure the mat is super sticky and the blade is sharp. What speed are you using? I would use a super slow speed. I've had actual cardstock act that way. If the above doesnt work I would try less pressure and multi cut. Good Luck!!

if you need a longer than 12" cut, you could always use poster board and cut it down to fit on a 12x24 mat.

I never tried construction paper because it would make my mat less sticky really quick when it would leave behind the fibers.

I was never successful with construction paper but bulliten board paper worked for me if I was trying to use someting longer. I used bulliten board paper to cut things for my class to use. I just needed to use a low speed and pressure and make sure the mat was sticky enough.

Rebecca

Back in High School my daughter had to make locker decorations for some of the football players because she was a cheerleader. There was no way I was going to use anything but construction paper for these projects since they were just torn down after each game and she had 3-4 players each week.

It worked fine for me but my pressure was set at 2, blade 3-4 and speed medium to slow with no shredding. I did use a new blade but it lasted the entire football season and I made sure the mat was sticky enough. I did have to test the settings before I was able to make the clean cuts so just try playing around with all the different settings. The construction paper I used was the bulk packs from Hobby Lobby, mostly black, orange, and white which was the school colors. Sometimes we used green for things like good luck shamrocks and I did notice that the green had more of that pulpy effect than the other colors, not sure why.

The problem that I've always had with construction paper is that I can't get it off the sticky mat without tearing, even with a spatula. I thought it would be the perfect solution for scrapping with my niece, but it just doesn't work very well.

construction paper is too lint-ty (is that a word) its terrible to work with and too frustrating - it ruins your mat too-- dont waste your time -- some people say laminating it first -- you could try that -
i found it was not worth the hassle and agravation
Jennifer

I've used a few times and had to cut at slow and pressure at 2. Keep in my that your mat will be full of lint in the end tho. I used a spatula to remove what I cut and it didn't tear but it was small items that I cut.

Hey ladies, thanks for all your comments, I appreciate them. I did set it to lower pressure, medium speed and 4/5 on my blade. Actually, maybe it was the paper brand, but it did come out pretty well. The mat was ok, but i will only use it again if i have more construction paper bulletin board stuff. I'm not cheap, just like to save my own paper for my own projects!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter