USH Christmas week

Vanvmom

Where was I going?
We are going to be in So. CA the week after Christmas (and I expect DL to be crazy crowded) so we decided to try USH since the kids have never been there (and I haven't been since 1982)! What type of line times should we expect for the Mummy ride and the Tram Tour (not sure what it is called)?

School will be out so expect long lines. Plus, many out-of-towners.

We have annual passports (they often have promotions where you buy one day and get a whole year for free), and recommend going early. USH has two portions: the Upper Lot, and the Lower Lot. The LL typically opens later than the UL. The UL and LL are connected with a series of long escalators, so to save time, you only want to go to the LL once.

Go on the Studio Tour (the backlot tram tour) on the UL, then go to the LL for the Revenge of the Mummy, then the Jurassic Park ride (expect to get wet -- a poncho is a good idea), and anything else you want to see or do at the LL. When you finished the LL, go to the UL. Be sure to see Water World (a live action stunt show).

Have fun.

Woody

Thanks for the advice Woody! We've held off on Universal until the kids were old enough to enjoy it, and now they are really looking forward to it (esp. the Mummy ride). Yes, even the little guy is a total thrill seaker (favorite rides so far are Screamin' and Rockin' Roller Coaster).

We'd originally planned for a longer trip with some flexible days, but DH's China travels for work crunched down our schedule a bit. So... this time DL is out, and we'll have to deal with lines at USH.

I couldn't find a good "park map" on thier website. If we go in early and head straight for the UL for the studio tour, is it easy to find? MGM & AK were a bit difficult to navigate compared to DL and CA- Adventure, and being the group navigator I'd like to know how difficult my job will be. :goodvibes

To get to the Studio Tour just head STRAIGHT ASA you get into the park. Come through the turnstiles and walk in a straight line (more on the right hand side if you can to avoid turning off left and getting to T2:3D) past Van Helsing (which is now closed - finally!) on the left, Waterworld on the right and right through the New York area. Bare right when you get to Shrek (which'll be on the right - don't go down any of the little side turnings) and go right past the Nickelodeon Blast Zone. By that time you'll clearly see the Studio Tour sign in front of you so just head for it. You'll go down a small escalator and then you'll be there. It's a really easy place to navigate so you should soon pick it up. ;)

The map found here: http://themeparks.universalstudios.com/hollywood/website/pdf/parkmap.pdf is as good as you're going to get even at the park though.

Woody's tips are a very good guide to stick to. Although depending on how much you love ROTM and JPRA, you will end up going back down the Starways to ride them again which will totally blow your plan of only visiting the LL once!! :) I try and go down there pretty early in the day and then very late in the afternoon (depending on closing time) to ensure I'm down there when they stop allowing people down from the UL. If you're down there, it'll become easier to get your last ride or two done as no one will be allowed down (only up - the LL closes before the UL does) at a certain time.

Have a great trip!!! :thumbsup2

If you arrive before the opening time, they will let you through the turnstiles into the front portion of the park (similar to entering Disneyland's main gate and strolling along Main Street before they open the "lands"). You will be on the upper level. They have maps and show schedules at the turnstiles.

As mentioned above, to get to the Studio Tour, head straight then bear right at Shrek.

Also, the dining options are better at Universal CityWalk than in USH (restaurants like Tony Roma's and Buca di Beppo). But that depends on your priorities (more rides or better food).

Have a great time.

Woody

I definitely agree with Woody on the food situation at USH. And even though the food within the park is nice (simple but nice) you can wait AGES (literally 30 mins for a slice of pizza - that's Summertime though) so it's far better to eat at CityWalk. There's a GREAT selection of places to choose from. Saddle Ranch is right outside of the parks main gates and they serve a mean burger - we eat there quite a bit. If you wanted something a bit different though head back to the parking structure and you'll pass tons of great places to eat.

Thanks for the tips everyone! My boys LOVED the studio tour (esp. the War of the Worlds part). They were quite disappointed in the Mummy ride, but who knows what exactly they were anticipating. The whole day reminded me of all the old movies that my boys need to see - can you believe I've never introduced them to any old John Wayne or Marx brothers movies? What was I thinking?! :happytv:

. . . The whole day reminded me of all the old movies that my boys need to see - can you believe I've never introduced them to any old John Wayne or Marx brothers movies? What was I thinking?!

At the beginning of the Studio Tour, the tram goes past a series of classic movie posters. There are many that I have yet to see. Looks like a Blockbuster weekend!

Woody

Looks like a Blockbuster weekend!

Woody

I said the same thing to DH before he headed to China! The boys and I are going to have a movie fest! Good thing I got those Blockbuster gift cards for Christmas.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter