Use your head, don't lose your head!: A Sep 2019 pre-trip report + local fun. UPDATED 9/12. Mini NY Report COMPLETE

Verstehen

I break for the Nautilus
Hello, and welcome to my pre-trip report. My name is Rachel and I’ll be your chief flight author. I’m a big lurker on many of your fabulous reports (though now that I’m posting my own report I’ll try to be more active), and decided I wanted to contribute!

JXbPd6u.jpg

I’m 31 and for the past three years I’ve been lucky enough to live in Orlando. I’ve lived in Florida for 9 years and have been a passholder since I moved here from New York, but living in Orlando is of course a whole other animal.

My husband and I moved here in 2016 for work. He’s about as far from a Disney fan as you can get, though he’ll go to the resorts and Disney Springs for certain occasions. But that usually doesn’t stop me. I get a decent amount of park time in during weekday evenings and weekends. I don’t know how long we’ll live here so I’m trying to make the best of it for as long as I can!

We live in a neighborhood of Orlando called College Park, which is about 30 minutes from Disney property (assuming no or light traffic), and super convenient to downtown Orlando and Winter Park. We love living here because we have easy access to lots of awesome shops, restaurants, and bars without being too close to the touristy areas, the houses are older and have lots of charm (ours was built in the 50’s), and even though we’re close to urban living if we want it, we also have access to a lake for kayaking and other cool nature attractions. It’s also relatively affordable compared to other areas like the neighborhoods right outside of downtown, Winter Park, or Baldwin Park, while still being in a good location in terms of proximity to amenities and safety (some parts of the city are definitely super sketchy).

I am a mega Disney parks fan and have been since childhood. I’m a huge fan of anything vintage Epcot and tiki culture and am happy to report that the bartenders at Trader Sam’s are finally starting to remember me. I like being close enough to the parks that I can go pretty much whenever I want, but that doesn’t mean I don’t indulge in the occasional staycation, particularly if family or friends are in town, or if I’m running one of the Disney races (waking up at 3 is bad enough; needing to drive before and after the races is exponentially worse).

Speaking of which…

This report will cover the preparation for my upcoming Food and Wine trip, and will eventually switch over to an actual trip report. In between, I’ll also probably use this as a little blog to share some of the other things I love about living in central Florida. I think a lot of focus on living in Orlando revolves around living in the immediate proximity of the theme parks, and that’s great, but I hope I can provide you with a nice look at some parts of the area you may have never known about! Maybe it’ll inspire you to take a look on a future trip

Joining me on this trip will be my dad.

YBEWWjY.jpg

He's the guy in the middle​

He lives in upstate New York where he does double duty as a dentist and a volunteer firefighter. So needless to say, he works hard, and this trip will be a well-deserved break.

Currently our plans are to stay at the Boardwalk Villas September 18-24 in a pool/garden view studio. We have tickets for Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party already booked, and we’re looking forward to booking at least a couple of Food and Wine events. Other than that our plans are basically to chill out, indulge in drinks and hot tub time, and have little to no responsibilities for a few glorious days.

Follow along as I chronicle our plans, along with anything interesting things that happen between now and our start date!

Last edited:

Trip Genesis

As I mentioned above, I’ve been going to Disney World as an annual passholder for going on nine years now. Up until 2016, my father had visited me once or twice a year, and only went to Disney a handful of times. He liked some aspects, but overall considered it a “kid” thing, until I started to show him the more adult side with dining, bars, etc.

From about 2007 to I think 2015 or 2016, my dad owned a vacation house in Cape Cod. It was a gorgeous house but a lot of work for him. He rarely got the chance to enjoy it because it was a pain to get to from upstate NY, and when he did go he was usually doing work on it. He ended up selling it because it was just too much to maintain, but he still liked the idea of having a vacation property, a place where he could be guaranteed to have at least a couple weeks a year where he could go and relax, just without all the work. Naturally, a timeshare seemed like a better option.

He also wanted something that would be good for my younger sister, who has some physical disabilities as well as limitations on what she enjoys.

I knew a lot about DVC, since one of my best friends was a member and I had stayed on property with her and had also rented points from other owners several times. I told him about it and when he visited me for Thanksgiving of 2016, we met with a DVC sales rep. It was a great meeting. Dad has warmed up to Disney and what appealed to him about DVC was that it would give us a guaranteed vacation in a place that was easy to get to (even if I move; Orlando is an easy plane ride from most places), it was something he knew my sister would love, and he really wouldn’t have to do anything except pay money and show up. I would be in charge of managing our trips, which meant booking everything except flights (though I do arrange for Magical Express once he books that).

We are now owners at the Polynesian Village, and are considering other resale contracts in the future. Dad was nice enough to put my name on the contract so that I could take advantage of DVC member events during the times when he’s not in town.

We typically book two trips a year, once in February with my sister, and once during the fall with just the two of us.

For this particular visit, we originally had the Polynesian booked at the 11 month mark for all six nights, and I strategically set up two waitlists for the Boardwalk for the first three nights and the second three nights, thinking that we’d be okay with doing a split stay as long as neither stay was less than three nights. Eventually, both waitlists came through though, so we don’t have to do any resort hopping at all this trip. We typically stay at the Polynesian with our points, so this will be a nice change of pace, especially since it’s my dad’s first time staying there.

Plans So Far

As I mentioned, we already have our MNSSHP tickets booked, for the night of September 20th. This will actually be my dad’s first Halloween party, though my fourth. It’s pretty much an every other year thing for me. I’m excited to see the new fireworks show. I love Hallowishes but it’s getting a little stale for me. I’m very glad the parade is remaining the same though. It’s probably my favorite parade in Disney World (not that there are many to choose from right now!).

We have our costumes planned. I’m working on putting them together. We’re going to be Buzzy and General Knowledge from Cranium Command. I’m hoping by then we actually know where poor Buzzy is.

8F05A3AA-0FD5-4AC8-BB08-E661E06E5322.jpeg
cranium2_general2006ah.jpg

My dad’s skeptical that people will know who we are, but I have faith in my fellow Disney buffs that at least a few will love it. A few years ago my husband and I went as Dreamfinder and Figment from Journey Into Imagination, so this continues my streak of costumes based after defunct Epcot rides. Next time: Horizons! Maybe.

We have a few ADR’s booked, all dinners which I’m guessing will change a bit because we don’t know yet what Food and Wine events we’ll do. So far we have:

· The Wave

· Spice Road Table

· Skipper Canteen

· Sci-Fi Dine-In

As you can see, we book at some very hot-ticket places :D The hardest one to get was definitely Sci-Fi. I had to look at a few days that were not my first choice before I found one. I’m not sure if it has to do with Galaxy’s Edge opening up. We tend to book just a couple of places and keep everything else last minute, which works for us because our choices are usually off the beaten path.

And of course we have the hotel booked. But other than that, that’s it so far! We still need to book dad’s travel plans and the F&W events/tours.

Life Update #1

So a few days ago I got quite a surprise…I’m pregnant!

This is a welcome surprise, though unexpected, as I’d been told I would probably need medical assistance in order to conceive. We’re still in the very, very early stages during which anything could happen, but we’re going to do our best to ensure that this baby is born healthy and when it’s supposed to. I don’t yet have a due date but I’m guessing it will be due sometime in early-to-mid January (maybe even on my own birthday!). We still plan to move forward with this trip. I’ll have to abstain from alcohol, of course, but there’s plenty of yummy food I’ll still be shoving down my gullet.

I definitely appreciate any advice people have on doing Food and Wine while pregnant. Which special dining events are the least bummer if you can’t drink is my main concern XD I have a couple of events I’d like to book, including Mix It, Make It, which doesn’t seem to involve alcohol, and the Parisian Breakfast. I’m avoiding booking anything that boasts alcohol pairings with the meal, since I’m sure you pay for the alcohol whether or not you drink it, and the experience probably isn’t the same if you can only eat the food. Oh well, there’s always next year!

This may mean canceling or postponing our early February trip, but we’ll decide that at a later date (maternity leave in the winter might be the perfect time to do a few nights at Disney, but not sure if it’s wise to go with a child who will likely be less than a month old). For now, planning for September is proceeding!

Meanwhile, I’m also getting ready to attend Orlando Fringe. It runs from today until May 27th. If you’re in Orlando right now, you may want to check it out! Most of the venues are near me, about half an hour from Disney. There are a ton of awesome looking shows. I have 10 on my shortlist, including one about Disney animatronics rooming together called The Animatronicans. It’s a sequel of another show they ran a few years back, and if it’s anything like the first installment it’s NOT safe for kids, but if you are able you should definitely check it out!

Congrats! I have no real advice for Food and Wine while pregnant since I don't have children but I booked us for the Parisian breakfast also and that one sounds perfect to do!

Costume Update #1

I used to do a lot of cosplay in high school and college, but really haven’t had the time or energy to continue with it for over a decade. When I do get a chance to put a costume together, I relish it, so I’m having a lot of fun with our MNNSHP costumes. One of my dad’s big questions about his costume was, “How are we going to get me an orange mustache?” I assured him that I had my resources. He was skeptical. Turns out you can just buy one on Amazon for dirt cheap!

yITE5Xm.jpg

I sure showed him.

I also got some fake military medal ribbons.

qpbGP8g.jpg

I thought about making them on my own somehow but decided I couldn’t make them look as good and spend less money. I do intend to make General Knowledge’s epaulets, though. Those look pretty simple.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter