Use year question on what is best use year if we will be probably traveling in the summer, but sometimes want December.

dceagle01

Earning My Ears
Sorry if I'm posting in wrong forum. We have a 5 year old where we would probably be going to WDW in the summer months, but would like to take a trip the first week of December every few years, probably not every year. I've watched The DVC Show\DIS Unplugged (actually watched The DVC Show latest episode today about rookie mistakes and still confused on use year). I understand the concept that it is different from when you can make reservations and that use year mainly has to do with banking dates if I understand it correctly, but I'm still confused on what would be the best use year for us in that type of scenario especially with the holding of points if a trip is cancelled, etc.

UY is mostly important if you think you may have to cancel a trip. It's best, by most members, to have a UY prior to your most often travel dates. In you case summer. That way if you need to cancel you have time to re-book or bank your points. A June UY would be good for summer travel, and would also cover the December trip if you have to cancel as banking is by January 31.

Thanks for the replies. Also, if it helps, I think we would be traveling no earlier than 5/23 every year and no later than probably about 8/7 when we would be going in the summer. I'd prefer to go when it's a little cooler since we went for the first time 6/2018 and it was crazy hot. I don't think I've drank so much water in my life.

If you travel in May I would go with an APRIL UY. Just remember banking would need to be done by November 30th, so keep an eye on the December trip dates.

Here's a thread on understanding UY that might help: https://www.disboards.com/threads/understanding-use-year-updated-march-10-2019.1942668/

With your trips spread out as they are you could consider an April UY (Banking deadline of Nov 30th) or Dec UY (banking Deadline of July 31). In both cases it sounds like you could have a trip that is planned just after the banking deadline but if you were cancelling after the banking deadline it would be less than 30 days out and the points would be in holding with no possibility of banking anyway. As mentioned, the best UY is one that gives you a bit of free insurance against last minute cancellations by either allowing you to bank or giving you as much time as possible to rebook before the end of your UY.

You mention not liking the heat. Do you have any sort of idea if you'd continue to go to Disney after your child is grown? If so what would you imagine the travel times being like then? That might help with or change the UY suggestions.

Here's a thread on understanding UY that might help: https://www.disboards.com/threads/understanding-use-year-updated-march-10-2019.1942668/

With your trips spread out as they are you could consider an April UY (Banking deadline of Nov 30th) or Dec UY (banking Deadline of July 31). In both cases it sounds like you could have a trip that is planned just after the banking deadline but if you were cancelling after the banking deadline it would be less than 30 days out and the points would be in holding with no possibility of banking anyway. As mentioned, the best UY is one that gives you a bit of free insurance against last minute cancellations by either allowing you to bank or giving you as much time as possible to rebook before the end of your UY.

You mention not liking the heat. Do you have any sort of idea if you'd continue to go to Disney after your child is grown? If so what would you imagine the travel times being like then? That might help with or change the UY suggestions.

When our daughter is grown, I would probably want to go more often during the first week in December or even January, February, March or August/September. I have pretty good vacation leave from my job where I could take off any dates. Not that there is a slower time anymore at WDW, but I would prefer to go when there are lesser crowds lol.

When our daughter is grown, I would probably want to go more often during the first week in December or even January, February, March or August/September. I have pretty good vacation leave from my job where I could take off any dates. Not that there is a slower time anymore at WDW, but I would prefer to go when there are lesser crowds lol.

Hmmmm - well, no one UY will cover what you potentially see as travel most every month of the year over the life of the contract. ;) My guess might be that there would be more flexibility in rescheduling trips later on when it's not tied to your daughters school schedule? But thinking of your comment about heat I think I might lean towards the December UY as it still covers banking for trips for Dec-July or really August. An April UY works for travel with your daughter too but you'd lose the banking window insurance later where the December UY covers a lot of it. Just the direction I believe I'd lean. And it would only come into any importance in the case you ever had a last minute cancellation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!