Upgrading tickets question

JennyT2

Mouseketeer
Sorry if this has been asked before or is a completely dumb question lol! But are the tickets from the last Canadian discount, the no expiry ones, eligible to be upgraded to an AP? If so, has anyone done it? Or is it simply a big ding because you lose the original discount? Any info would be helpful! Thanks

I think the consensus is that they can be upgraded BUT you usually get the value you paid (or AM paid) with the discount for them. Except that someone was successful at getting its full value at MK not long ago. She was probably lucky with the CM she got and I wouldn't count on it.

With a new discount just released I imagine we're gonna see a new batch of confusing upgrade attempts :P

Sorry if this has been asked before or is a completely dumb question lol! But are the tickets from the last Canadian discount, the no expiry ones, eligible to be upgraded to an AP? If so, has anyone done it? Or is it simply a big ding because you lose the original discount? Any info would be helpful! Thanks

With a new discount just released I imagine we're gonna see a new batch of confusing upgrade attempts :P

No doubt. But where APs are concerned, you always did lose the discount on the Canadian Resident tickets, even when the original promotion was still in place, because APs were never part of the Canadian Resident offer.

To be clear for OP: Yes, you can upgrade those tickets to an AP. Yes, you will lose the discount. Best option for saving a bit on an AP is to buy a multi-day ticket from a third party reseller like Undercover Tourist. Choose whatever ticket offers the biggest discount over gate price, and then upgrade at guest services. As long as it's a regular ticket (ie. the reseller is offering the discount, rather than Disney), the ticket will be price-bridged on the upgrade.

I think the consensus is that they can be upgraded BUT you usually get the value you paid (or AM paid) with the discount for them. Except that someone was successful at getting its full value at MK not long ago. She was probably lucky with the CM she got and I wouldn't count on it.

No doubt. But where APs are concerned, you always did lose the discount on the Canadian Resident tickets, even when the original promotion was still in place, because APs were never part of the Canadian Resident offer.

To be clear for OP: Yes, you can upgrade those tickets to an AP. Yes, you will lose the discount. Best option for saving a bit on an AP is to buy a multi-day ticket from a third party reseller like Undercover Tourist. Choose whatever ticket offers the biggest discount over gate price, and then upgrade at guest services. As long as it's a regular ticket (ie. the reseller is offering the discount, rather than Disney), the ticket will be price-bridged on the upgrade.

Thank you both! I figured as much but thought I’d ask

It was me who got the full value of a 7day pass while upgrading to an ap. I do realize that pixie dust was sprinkled all over that transaction pixiedust: But the upgrading was very simple and only took a few minutes. If you're using a Canadian Resident ticket you need to go to Guest Services to activate the pass anyway, upgrading just takes a few more minutes.

It was me who got the full value of a 7day pass while upgrading to an ap. I do realize that pixie dust was sprinkled all over that transaction pixiedust: But the upgrading was very simple and only took a few minutes. If you're using a Canadian Resident ticket you need to go to Guest Services to activate the pass anyway, upgrading just takes a few more minutes.
Did you pick up ticket and upgrade to AP at the same time? Which guest relations? I’m planning on going to Disney Springs to pick up ticket my arrival night so I’m ready for park day in the morning.
I was thinking for best chance of getting full value to upgrade would be to go and use ticket first before upgrading.

Did you pick up ticket and upgrade to AP at the same time? Which guest relations? I’m planning on going to Disney Springs to pick up ticket my arrival night so I’m ready for park day in the morning.
I was thinking for best chance of getting full value to upgrade would be to go and use ticket first before upgrading.

I don't think using the ticket before upgrading gives any advantage anymore, it used to for sure. I went to the Magic Kingdom guest relations outside the turnstiles with my voucher and passport. I told the CM what I wanted to do so I assume he exchanged the voucher for a 7-day parkhopper, then upgraded that to the AP. Good luck!

I did it in October and it was a nightmare.

I needed to upgrade two 5 day non-park hoppers and a 9 day nonPH to an AP. I was sent exchange certificates, so I had to go to GS to activate.

My 9 day to AP they only took the amount I paid and I had to pay the entire difference. It was ALOT!!
My 5 day - I just needed to add park hopping (value $50) and I had to "argue" that I wasn't going to pay $200+ just to add PH
The other 5 day - I needed to add PH and one more day - which should have been about $70 but ended up paying over $200 (I think it was $240 USD)

This was at Disney Springs. The CM said that there was nothing she could do, that the Canadian offer was no longer in the system, hence it had expired and there was nothing she could do. I even asked for a supervisor and got no where. I reluctantly paid the full amount for the 9 day to AP and PH+1 day but stood firm on paying over $200 US to add just PH. The CM reluctantly "wrote off" the difference for adding the PH for $50 but certainly made me feel like she was doing me a big favour, after taking over $700US from me for doing the other upgrades.

I was very nice about it, but made it known that no where did it say you could not change the ticket and would be subject to full price and that it wasn't fair to Canadians who put out the money to take advantage of the offer. I'm now in the process of taking it up with Guest Relations now that I'm home.

You were certainly lucky! My advise would be try at MK not Disney Springs!

I did it in October and it was a nightmare.

I needed to upgrade two 5 day non-park hoppers and a 9 day nonPH to an AP. I was sent exchange certificates, so I had to go to GS to activate.

My 9 day to AP they only took the amount I paid and I had to pay the entire difference. It was ALOT!!
My 5 day - I just needed to add park hopping (value $50) and I had to "argue" that I wasn't going to pay $200+ just to add PH
The other 5 day - I needed to add PH and one more day - which should have been about $70 but ended up paying over $200 (I think it was $240 USD)

This was at Disney Springs. The CM said that there was nothing she could do, that the Canadian offer was no longer in the system, hence it had expired and there was nothing she could do. I even asked for a supervisor and got no where. I reluctantly paid the full amount for the 9 day to AP and PH+1 day but stood firm on paying over $200 US to add just PH. The CM reluctantly "wrote off" the difference for adding the PH for $50 but certainly made me feel like she was doing me a big favour, after taking over $700US from me for doing the other upgrades.

I was very nice about it, but made it known that no where did it say you could not change the ticket and would be subject to full price and that it wasn't fair to Canadians who put out the money to take advantage of the offer. I'm now in the process of taking it up with Guest Relations now that I'm home.

You were certainly lucky! My advise would be try at MK not Disney Springs!

Wow, I'm sorry you went through all this, not a very magical way to start your vacation. I did say that my transaction was sprinkled with pixie dust, but now I realize just how much dust was involved.

I think I’ll be going to a park now to exchange my Canadian Voucher for AP.

We are just back from 9 days in WDW and also went in April.

In April, I inquired at Epcot guest services about upgrading a 5D Canadian ticket to an AP, it required paying the price of the AP minus a credit for the Canadian ticket and the discount for the Canadian ticket would have been lost. I instead upgraded all the vouchers I had with me to 8d hoppers since the Canadian promo was still on.

This trip I had additional Cdn vouchers and the 8D Cdn hoppers and asked again about upgrades at Magic Kingdom guest services. I was told the vouchers were no longer upgradeable and could only be used as 5d tickets. The cm confirmed with a supervisor that that was all they could do, new policy. I also asked about upgrading the 8d Cdn hopper hard tickets to APs without telling the cm anything about the tickets (handed her an unlinked hard ticket). The answer was the same, that they were Canadian tickets and were no longer changeable. This was on Halloween which was the day before the new Canadian tickets were released.

The next day, the day the new Canadian tickets were released, I inquired at DTD guest services about the same tickets. They were willing to change them but the scenario was the same as in April, I'd only get a credit towards an AP or any other upgrade. The stated value of the voucher was $249.85.

Slightly off topic but during this most recent trip, I had 5 visits to guest services, the two above and three others. The positives I can say were that I never had to wait (was always next in line) and with one exception the cms were friendly. Unfortunately they were very inconsistent and made mistakes. I had upgraded a regular child pass to an AP and a regular adult 5d to a 6d hopper and requested they be linked on our magic bands to be used first. The AP wasn't linked at all and the 6d hopper wasn't ordered correctly so we were using non expire tickets that we were saving. We visited ak guest services to fix the 6d hopper (hadn't noticed the ap yet), cm added a 1 day hopper as a separate ticket stating that he couldn't add a day back to a non expire ticket. Next was TTC guest services to fix the ap once we noticed it where I was told by the supervisor it was our fault the AP wasn't being used and Disney didn't owe us anything. In the end she back dated the AP and added on the missing days on the non expire tickets, which was what we were told at AK couldn't be done. The last visit was to epcot guest services as the added days from ttc guest services were showing as 7 added days instead to 2. Epcot guest services confirmed that only 2 days were added correctly and the app was wrong. The app and website are still showing the wrong number of days.

I'm posting mostly as a heads up to some of things that go wrong. I did learn on the second day that once you go through the ticket turnstiles and enter the park there is a CM with a tablet that can check which ticket was just used. Really though, Disney could easily fix this problem by letting guests order their own tickets and check the tickets themselves before entering the park, which would make a lot more sense.

Last edited:
Wow @Days In the Sun that sounds like an awful lot of drama. I am going in January-using the 5-day cdn discount ticket and hoping to upgrade to an AP. I don't really care if they only deduct $250 from the AP cost-it's still a savings for me over buying three separate lots of tickets for all my planned trips this year. I will be pretty upset if they tell me it can't be upgraded at all! Or did I read that wrong in what you wrote above?

Wow @Days In the Sun that sounds like an awful lot of drama. I am going in January-using the 5-day cdn discount ticket and hoping to upgrade to an AP. I don't really care if they only deduct $250 from the AP cost-it's still a savings for me over buying three separate lots of tickets for all my planned trips this year. I will be pretty upset if they tell me it can't be upgraded at all! Or did I read that wrong in what you wrote above?

Yes, that is correct, they would not adjust the vouchers or already converted Canadian tickets at MK guest services, they would not let me add hoppers or upgrade to an ap. However the next day they were willing to do it in Disney Springs with a credit of $249.85. Fortunately I had 2 regular tickets that I upgraded instead.

Last edited:
I didn't realize the whole upgrade debacle/discount/pricing would happen when I was down 2 weeks ago. All I wanted to do was add a day to our 5-day Canadian discounted tickets and they wanted $185US. For the day. Each. Ouch.
I guess I should have investigated this more before I bought the tickets.

Had a friend just add two days to the old Canadian Special tickets by phone. However, when we were there a few weeks ago, they wouldn't add a parkhopper onto ours at the Canadian Special price.

Gotta wonder why there are so many inconsistencies.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!