upgrading at the port: how it worked for me

Lisa F

is a very wise woman
We wanted to try to upgrade at the port and before I left for our cruise, I really wished I could find some more info about the process. Here is how it worked for us:

We originally downgraded from a cat 10 secret porthole room to a cat 11 because the savings was almost $800, but we decided that if we could get a verandah room at the port for the difference, we would do it. They have a chart and the cost to upgrade from an inside room (ANY inside room, cat 12-10) to a verandah (I think cat 7-4) is $698 for the 7 day cruise (either one). They also had a cat 3 on the list and we asked how much it would cost to upgrade to that. She had to add some stuff together on the calculator and it actually came out to more than what the two charts said (the chart only has the price for an upgrade from a cat 4 to cats 1-3) and it came out to $1800. Even though this is a very good deal (would've been just over $3,000 for two people for a cat 3, or approximately 50% of the price it normally costs), we decided to go with just the cat 6 instead.

When we FIRST booked the cruise 2 years ago we were paying just over $3,000 for a cat 6. Then we downgraded to a cat 10 to save $1000 and were paying $2000. THen we downgraded again and with various rebates were paying around $1225 for a cat 11. With the upgrade at the port we ended up paying just under $2000 again only for a cat 6 this time, just a few doors down from the room we had originally booked. A lot of messing with the reservation but it was worth it to save the money. The cat 3 would've been awesome as well but the difference between the two more than paid our onboard bill and frankly I cannot recall a single moment when I even thought about that cat 3 once we got into our cat 6.

I highly recommend this method of upgrading if you want to save some money but there are a few things to know:

1) get to the port EARLY. There are very few upgrades and they go fast.

2) Check in on a regular line and then get right on the line to speak to the supervisor. Even if they have the sign up that the cruise is full, ask. They had that sign up but still had a limited number of rooms for upgrade, including a cat 3 and a couple of cat 2's! I'm not sure why they had the sign up

3) Be willing to stay in your original room. We loved our verandah but we had also decided that if we had to stay in a cat 11, we'd have just as good a time on the cruise. If you are not willing to stay in a lower cat then don't even bother trying this method because it's not surefire.

Once you make the change, the key to the world card that you have already been issued is recoded for the new room. All of your stuff will catch up with you eventually also, but we went down to our previous room (the room number on our luggage tags) and picked up our luggage much earlier than the rest of the stuff. Our stateroom host at some point realized that we weren't the people originally slated to be in the room and he asked what our original room number was. When we came back to change for dinner (late seating) our castaway club gift and meal tickets as well as our DU gift had caught up with us (and I had no idea we were getting the DU gift, what a great surprise!) Our luggage was really the only thing we needed right then so it was good that we could take care of that ourselves and whatever else was IN the cabin arrived at its leisure.

Overall the process was very painless and I would definately do it this way again.

Lisa

Hi sounds good we also have upgraded at the port..
we went from secret porthole room 5020 to room 8002
witch is cat 4 and the cost was $1000.00 for the upgrade...
we had paid $1700.00 for the cat 10 so total was $2700.00
for the cruise and we also had a $200.00 shipboard credit
this was on the May 11, 2002 inagural cruise....
should not have done it ...... now we always want a verandah...
and end up booking Cat 7 one of the done graded staterooms
with obstructed view... room 7620 and that is fine with us...
peter

lisa how early did you get there?we are getting picked up at 10.45 from the hyatt at mco so we should be at port between 11.30-12am.
we currently are booked in secrit porthole room and we would like to get upgraded to a cat 6 or maybe a cat 4.any idea on what the price for either upgrade would be for a 7day.

Does anyone have an idea how much it would be for a family of five, booked in cat 4 to upgrade to 3 when checking in at the port?

Skip, we got there early but were not the first to get there. I think right around 11am. It also depends on how full the cruise is, of course, so if your cruise is not as full it might not matter. Since the secret porthole room is a cat 10 and the chart was the same for cat 12-10 for upgrade price I would assume that it would cost about $700 to upgrade to a verandah room. The only thing I am NOT sure of is whether a cat 4 is included in the same price structure as 5-7, but there is no difference in upgrade price between a cat 7 and a cat 5, I know that for sure.

As far as how much to upgrade to a cat 3, that part of the chart was at the bottom which means it was the furthest from our peering eyes at the counter :) Maybe around $1000? For us it was a difference of $1200 between the cat 6 upgrade we had already taken and a cat 3. Since we are a couple I do not know if the upgrade charge is per cabin no matter how many are in it OR if there is an additional charge for passengers over two.

Hope that helps! I wish we could get our hands on that chart!

Lisa

We just came back from a cruise on the Wonder (1/9/03) and paid for an outside room on the second deck (for three--one adult and two children, 5 and 13) and received a call from our travel agent the day before we left informing us that Disney Cruise Line had called and upgraded us to a verandah room on Deck 6. Plus this was all done at absolutely no cost to us!

We also upgraded at the port on 1/4/03. We booked a Cat 11 but were upgraded by DCL to a Cat 10. We paid $1078 dollars to upgrade from the Cat 10 to a Cat 4. There are 4 people in our family.

Lisa F - glad to read all the info you put out on upgrades. We are booked in a cat 9 (2nd deck, oceanview deluxe) the room we had on our last cruise - loved it so much we rebooked the same room. We will be celebrating my 40th birthday and my dh and my 10th anniversary (yep, dates are during the cruise - how lucky for me!), so I would love a veranda. Right now, the difference is too much, but maybe we can upgrade at the terminal. Do you remember how much the upgrade would be for a cat 9 to a veranda?

allears (and all) - We upgraded from a 4 to a 3 (family of 4) for under $1,000. I think it was $895 but not sure. Again, this is for 4 people. We have been successful on all 3 attempts to go from a 4 to a 3. Each time, the available rooms are handicapped staterooms which actually translates to bigger, from what I can tell. I have been told that they save these in case they are needed. We were among the first to check in each time (10:30 or so).

Good Luck...

i am also wondering if anyone knows the upgrade prices for the 3 night. we are in a cat 8, but i am still curious about the possibility of getting into a cat 6.

I upgraded at the port from a cat. 11 to a cat. 5 for just under 600.00. Hope that helps. This was on the Jan. 2nd (3 night) Wonder.
Ann

I was on the 3 night Wonder 1/9/03. We upgraded from a cat.11 to a cat.6. It cost $578.00. That cost was for 2 adults.

Donna

i just looked up the difference in price from Cat 8 to Cat 6 on the DCL site, and it is only about $300 right now (2 adults, 1 infant). I'm wondering if it would be even cheaper when we arrive at the port.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter