Upgrading a reservation

PoohBW

Earning My Ears
We currently have 2 studios booked through David’s. Both are rented from the same owner. Going in November, staying at Saratoga. I’m wondering if it’s at all possible to upgrade to a two bedroom? Would that be done through David’s or at checkin? We would of course be willing to pay the difference.

It wouldn’t hurt to enquire, but my understanding is that once booked, your reservation is firm. No exceptions. Part of why I like renting my points through David’s is that once I’ve made the booking, I’m done and I’m guaranteed my money. No fuss.

Do not attempt to do this at checkin. It would involve canceling your existing reservations and making a new one. It could really mess with the owners points.

Unfortunately I think you are stuck with what you have. I doubt you will be able to upgrade while there because you can’t pay half cash half points for s reservation unless it is done as a split stay.If you would try to do it now that would depend on whether or not the owner has any other points left to use and is willing to rent. Also November is a very very busy time for DVC and there is some two bedroom availability but I think the most consecutive nights you can get is six nights so it depends what your exact dates are if you are flexible and how long you planned to stay. You can always ask David’s but expect the answer to be no.

You rented two studios. That is what you get. No change, don't ask. Two studios would be equivalent to about one one bedroom villa points wise. Next time, rent points for a two bedroom villa. As a former owner you should be aware that you can't mix points and cash. Unless you book a couple of nights with points and then add on a few nights for cash. But since you don't own the points, you can't do anything to those reservations except use them as they are.

You rented two studios. That is what you get. No change, don't ask. Two studios would be equivalent to about one one bedroom villa points wise. Next time, rent points for a two bedroom villa. As a former owner you should be aware that you can't mix points and cash. Unless you book a couple of nights with points and then add on a few nights for cash. But since you don't own the points, you can't do anything to those reservations except use them as they are.
@ DebandBill you put an angry face after my post. I hope you don’t think I was suggesting the op enquire at check in. I was suggesting that they ask David’s. It would not hurt. I added that I would expect David’s to say that a change would be impossible. Not sure where your anger is coming from.

I was surprised a member would even suggest that. If you had said contact David's and not at check in I wouldn't have thought anything about it. But you didn't. It was like you thought they could inquire at check in. They can't.

Please understand I wasn’t asking to mix point with cash. What I was asking was that if the owner had extra points available they could potentially rent them to us in addition to the ones we’ve already rented with them.

Please understand I wasn’t asking to mix point with cash. What I was asking was that if the owner had extra points available they could potentially rent them to us in addition to the ones we’ve already rented with them.
I had no intention of creating this controversy. We won’t even bother asking. I just thought it would have been a nice surprise for my family.

I had no intention of creating this controversy. We won’t even bother asking. I just thought it would have been a nice surprise for my family.

You can ask David's (that's who you rented from, right?) if the owner who rented their points to you would be willing to do so. There is no harm in asking, but be prepared to hear "no modifications are allowed"

Read your contracts with David's. It will tell you.

You can ask David's (that's who you rented from, right?) if the owner who rented their points to you would be willing to do so. There is no harm in asking, but be prepared to hear "no modifications are allowed"
And, for that matter, availability is likely an issue even if they were flexible.

I think it would be a bad precedent for David's to set. One of the biggest reasons that a lot of owners are willing to take less for their points by going thru a broker is because you make the reservation and you're done (other than adding MDE or DDP).

If the word were to get out - and it always manages to get out - it would ruin their "no changes" policy. Renters would expect it. Owners would resent it.

I think it would be a bad precedent for David's to set. One of the biggest reasons that a lot of owners are willing to take less for their points by going thru a broker is because you make the reservation and you're done (other than adding MDE or DDP).

If the word were to get out - and it always manages to get out - it would ruin their "no changes" policy. Renters would expect it. Owners would resent it.
Yep. A broker is very likely to give a renter a simple no if asked. The contract is no changes. The contract with the owner is no changes, and for a broker keeping owners returning is more important than keeping renters. Odds that an owner will have extra points AND there is availability are so low that why would the risk annoying an owner or setting a precident?

And I agree, those of us who use brokers use them so we don't need to deal with someone else's vacation details. A renter changing their mind is so much not my problem and I don't want it to be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter