upgrade undercover tourist 2 day ticket w/free day to AP?

ldo

DIS Veteran
can I upgrade an undercover tourist 2 day w/1 free day ticket to an AP before I leave the park on my 3rd day? What "value" do I get? Exactly what I paid ($263)? Or the gate price of a 3 day ticket? Also, is the gate price of an AP different from the online price? I would be getting the pass without blackout dates, but not the premium one. It's $349 + tax online.

Yes you can and most people have gotten the 3 day current gate price credit.

Was just there on Tuesday, and had the UT 2 day plus free day and was told it would cost $10 to upgrade to seasonal pass. This would value the UT ticket at the 2 day gate price not the 3 day price.

We were there the end of May and able to upgrade UT 2+1 tickets to seasonal AP without paying anything, even swap

Was just there on Tuesday, and had the UT 2 day plus free day and was told it would cost $10 to upgrade to seasonal pass. This would value the UT ticket at the 2 day gate price not the 3 day price.

We were there the end of May and able to upgrade UT 2+1 tickets to seasonal AP without paying anything, even swap

Shouldn't each of you gotten a REFUND of $10.65 when upgrading to a 2-park seasonal annual pass ($303.51) from 2PP2P 3-day gate price ($314.16)?

The Seasonal pass is $303.52 with tax and the 3 day ticket from US is $292.87 so from my understanding it would be $10.65 to upgrade the UT buy 2 get I free day ticket to a Seasonal pass. So since you (and I) paid $262 for our 3 day tickets from UT we should be getting a credit of $292.87 towards an annual pass. I will be there next week and plan to upgrade either to a Seasonal or Power so I can report back. I expect to have to pay $10.65 to upgrade to Seasonal and $74.35 for Power Pass. I think people were getting refunds when purchasing the Seasonal pass because they purchased the buy 2 get 2 tickets which were previoulsy reduced more than they are currently on the UT website.

The 3 day ticket from US for $292.87 is the (discounted) ONLINE price. The GATE price (to which US bridges when upgrading to annual pass) is $314.16 for that ticket, hence the 10.65 refund.

$292.87 + $10.65 = $303.52 price of Seasonal Annual Pass (SAP)
$303.52 + $10.65 = $314.17 Gate price of 2-park Park-to-Park 3-day ticket

It's confusing, I know, because it's $10.65 on both sides of the SAP.

We will have this scenario in two weeks, so I have been crunching the numbers. Does anyone see that I am off in my numbers or thinking?

I had also expected either a refund of $10 or an equal swap. I had called guest services an they confirmed that they value the tickets at the GATE price, which is $20 more than the website price. That would mean my 2 day plus 1 should have been worth $315. I didn't bother pursuing it with the guest services person because I didn't need the seasaonal pass and was just curious to see what they would say. I called Universal 3 times before my trip and got 3 different answers, so don't be surprised if you don't get what you think you should get.

The 3 day ticket from US for $292.87 is the (discounted) ONLINE price. The GATE price (to which US bridges when upgrading to annual pass) is $314.16 for that ticket, hence the 10.65 refund.

$292.87 + $10.65 = $303.52 price of Seasonal Annual Pass (SAP)
$303.52 + $10.65 = $314.17 Gate price of 2-park Park-to-Park 3-day ticket

It's confusing, I know, because it's $10.65 on both sides of the SAP.

We will have this scenario in two weeks, so I have been crunching the numbers. Does anyone see that I am off in my numbers or thinking?

You're going to have to check gate prices at the park because the Universal website says that their online prices are UP TO $20 off now, not the straight $20 off.

Shouldn't each of you gotten a REFUND of $10.65 when upgrading to a 2-park seasonal annual pass ($303.51) from 2PP2P 3-day gate price ($314.16)?
I can confirm that we upgraded a UT Buy 2, get 1 free park to park ticket to a 2 park Seasonal Pass on June 2 (so a month ago), after I entered the park, and got a credit of $10.65. We had them put it on a gift card and gave it to DGD to spend

Last edited:
I am here now and stopped at Guest Services at IOA and was told it would cost about $10 to upgrade my 2 park 3 day (buy 2 get 1)ticket I bought from UC tourist for $292.87 to a seasonal pass. I didn't upgrade today because we plan to go to the park tomorrow and all of July is blocked out. I will ask again tomorrow and see what answer I get.

Thanks for the update.
I suspect Universal may have changed their policy. I was told that they no longer give credits or refunds and guest services said that the $10 was a "service fee " for the upgrade. I thought that was odd wording since I would have thought any payment would be the difference in cost of the tickets and not a fee.

I have read that you may get different answers at another guest services location. Good luck! Hope you get the refund!

When I upgraded DD14 in March from the b2g2, I first asked GS outside US and after a forever wait while the lady was doing something else (not sure why she called us forward if she was going to make us wait, but anyhoo), she told us it was going to be way more than I expected, so I told her no thanks. The next day, I went to GS inside US and they gave me a refund. It can pay to ask around.

So if I buy a 5 day park to park ticket including Volcano Bay for $346, what annual pass could I expect if I upgrade? Possibly the preferred 3 park annual pass?

So if I buy a 5 day park to park ticket including Volcano Bay for $346, what annual pass could I expect if I upgrade? Possibly the preferred 3 park annual pass?

You can upgrade to whatever you want. You just have to pay the difference.

3 park preferred is $483.

I ended up upgrading at IOA for $10.65. I was hoping to inquire at US but ran out of time since we were running around doing our favorite rides one last time. I was hoping for a refund of $10...oh well, still a good deal.

We upgraded to Seasonal Passes on June 17. I had two UT buy 2 get 1 free tickets and two UT 3 day tickets (both for 2 parks). We were given approximately $10 refund on two tickets and an even switch on the other two. I am not sure which tickets were given the refund and which were not.

I ended up upgrading at IOA for $10.65. I was hoping to inquire at US but ran out of time since we were running around doing our favorite rides one last time. I was hoping for a refund of $10...oh well, still a good deal.
This is strange because your charge is the same as my refund. Something odd about the amount being the same but one being an extra cost and one being a refund. How does it work out like that? Seems like too much to be a coincidence. Though I've never looked at what the value of the tickets are vs. the cost of the AP. I bought my ticket combined with some other stuff from UT so I haven't a clue what I paid for the ticket, exactly. Because I combined things I got an extra discount, plus there was an ebate rebate.

We upgraded to Seasonal Passes on June 17. I had two UT buy 2 get 1 free tickets and two UT 3 day tickets (both for 2 parks). We were given approximately $10 refund on two tickets and an even switch on the other two. I am not sure which tickets were given the refund and which were not.
That's strange too. How on earth were they not worth the same?

AngiTN - I agree that it is strange. I had bought the tickets at various times for various prices - the buy 2 get 1 were bought in summer or fall of 2016, one in April of 2017 and one about a week before we left, but all from UT. I paid different prices for them and did not understand the pricing of the seasonal pass, but was happy that I got money back. Before reading on here that we could upgrade the UT tickets, I was not planning on going back this year. Now, we have two or possibly three trips planned for the same ticket prices as one trip. So, I saw this as an unexpected bargain and really did not question the pricing.

AngiTN - I agree that it is strange. I had bought the tickets at various times for various prices - the buy 2 get 1 were bought in summer or fall of 2016, one in April of 2017 and one about a week before we left, but all from UT. I paid different prices for them and did not understand the pricing of the seasonal pass, but was happy that I got money back. Before reading on here that we could upgrade the UT tickets, I was not planning on going back this year. Now, we have two or possibly three trips planned for the same ticket prices as one trip. So, I saw this as an unexpected bargain and really did not question the pricing.
Yeah, I wouldn't question it there either, probably. But puzzling.
I bought the ticket I upgraded in April also. Not sure how it matters since I thought they always bridged based on gate price, which is why you use the ticket first.
I hate when things don't make sense but have learned to just channel my inner Elsa (even at Universal) and Let it Go :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter