Upgrade from AP to Florida Resident AP

KCervasio

Mouseketeer
We are moving to Florida this summer but will begin by renting a home while waiting for either a new home to be built or while searching for a pre existing home. In the meantime our kids should be enrolled in a school while we rent. How do we purchase annual passes while renting? Is it possible to buy the regular AP in the beginning and then change over to the Florida resident pass? Or can we change over to our Florida license while renting a home? Thanks!

You can activate a FL resident pass with a recent (in the last 2 months I think) utility bill or bank statement for your FL address. As far as I know, Disney does not issue refunds if trying to switch from a more expensive ticket (in this case a non-resident AP) to a less expensive ticket (in this case a FL resident AP). So if you want to get the savings of a FL resident AP, you'll need to start out with a FL resident AP.

Additionally, you don't have to own a home to get your FL driver license. A Florida resident is someone who lives in Florida, not just someone who owns property in Florida. Utility bills, rental agreements, FL car registration, and recent mail from financial institutions will all work for proving you reside in Florida. You can see what all is required for a FL driver license on the FL Dept of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles website.

Thank you all so much! This is a gigantic move for us and in order to make our transition as smooth as possible, we want to be able to ease into Floridian life by visiting the parks as early as possible with our 5 and 7 year olds. It would be torture for all of us if we move down to a rental while looking for our forever home and having to delay going to our favorite place in the world because we don’t have the proper credentials! :)

1. Is it possible to buy the regular AP in the beginning and then change over to the Florida resident pass?
2. Or can we change over to our Florida license while renting a home? Thanks!
1. No. Don't do that. Too expensive.
2. Hundreds of thousands of FL residents rent their homes.
You don't have to own a house in order to be considered a FL resident.

We are moving to Florida this summer but will begin by renting a home while waiting for either a new home to be built or while searching for a pre existing home. In the meantime our kids should be enrolled in a school while we rent. How do we purchase annual passes while renting? Is it possible to buy the regular AP in the beginning and then change over to the Florida resident pass? Or can we change over to our Florida license while renting a home? Thanks!

You're legally required to switch your license and car registration within a certain period when you move. My mom was almost cited for it while she was in short-term housing. I have also gotten a notice on my vehicle with out of state plates when I stayed with a family member for a month.

1. No. Don't do that. Too expensive.
2. Hundreds of thousands of FL residents rent their homes.
You don't have to own a house in order to be considered a FL resident.
Correct. That said, Disney is much more lenient for resident status than is the DMV. Getting a Florida drivers license was an act of Congress.... and we did indeed live in Florida.

That said, a Florida drivers license is the easiest way to prove residency.

I would wait and get your annual pass after you move to Florida. There are several types of Florida annual passes, and they are less expensive than the non-Florida version.

I doubt that Disney will cut you a check for becoming a Florida resident.

After you move, get your Florida driver's license right away. Check the ID requirements and be prepared with the documentation.

Then you'll be good to go. You just have to pick the Florida annual pass that works he best for you.

You’ve all been very helpful. In the event that we stay at a extended stay hotels while getting our home, is that enough to get either the license or enough documentation to give to Disney? It’s kind of funny that out of all the things I need to do to prepare for this move, this is my priority lol

I would wait and get your annual pass after you move to Florida.

Depending on how soon your first trip will be after the move, you may not want to wait. You can buy the FL AP before you’re a resident and book fastpasses etc. you’ll just need the ID when you activate the pass. (Note you can also buy a ticket from a discounter and upgrade that to an AP to save some money as well - look at the FAQs on upgrading and price bridging if you’re not familiar).

You’ve all been very helpful. In the event that we stay at a extended stay hotels while getting our home, is that enough to get either the license or enough documentation to give to Disney? It’s kind of funny that out of all the things I need to do to prepare for this move, this is my priority lol
I’m pretty sure for most states you will not be able to obtain a license while staying at an extended stay hotel. You should be able to find all the information you need for transferring you license on the website for Florida’s equivalent of the DMV.

You can show your current ID, Rental Agreement and utilities bill/bank account showing current FL address and Disney will sell you FL rate tickets/ AP.
Florida ID is obviously the easiest, but not the only way to prove state residency. In other words you can buy your discounted tickets as soon as you sing the lease.

In other words you can buy your discounted tickets
as soon as you sing the lease.

musicnotes-25.jpg

Oh, I'M a Florida resident
And, I'm OK.
I sleep all night and I work all day.

I have palm trees. I skip and jump.
I like to press swamp flowers.
I put on Disney clothing
And hang around in parks!

musicnotes-25.jpg

Thank you all so much! This is a gigantic move for us and in order to make our transition as smooth as possible, we want to be able to ease into Floridian life by visiting the parks as early as possible with our 5 and 7 year olds. It would be torture for all of us if we move down to a rental while looking for our forever home and having to delay going to our favorite place in the world because we don’t have the proper credentials! :)
I ran into this problem when we moved to Florida 2 years ago. To get your Florida Drivers License, if you use your birth certificate as the primary identification and have changed your last name in marriage, you will need your marriage license, and not marriage certificate such as the minister would give you. Crazy, because I had a Florida drivers license 20 years ago without needing to provide this document. It took a weeks to get it processed through CT. Keep that with your paper work. Good Luck!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter