Updated Oct 23/"Um, where are my shoes? WHERE ARE MY SHOES?!" Our first trip & report! August '18

IRL UPDATE #2!

Well....life has taken a few twists and turns in the past few weeks, as life does.

Should I start with the good news, or the bad news?

tenor.gif

Go with that feeling, Andy.

If you recall from the first chapter of my trip report, my father-in-law went into the hospital right before our trip. He'd been home and doing well since a week or two later, but a few weeks ago (before Veteran's Day), he had the same problem and went back to the hospital. Once again, it was tough to gauge how bad it was. The Wednesday before Veteran's Day, it was hitting Hubs pretty hard, and at lunch (he works from home) we discussed possibly heading to TX for Thanksgiving to be with his parents, and what we would do if he needed to fly down suddenly, or stay with his parents for awhile.

Later that day, as I was in the car line waiting to pick up our kids from school, he called to tell me that his dad was having breathing problems. Leaving out a lot of details, the doctor had said that family needed to come into town ASAP, so he was flying out that night. His brothers both came into town that night as well. We didn't want to take the kids out of school, and they wouldn't have been able to visit him in the ICU, so we decided that he would just stay down there as long as he needed to, and we would play everything by ear.

94add472c1b451783d26bb16fecac9f8.gif

Hubs' dad passed that following Monday. It was an incredibly stressful few days - lots of praying, crying, discussing the future, if there was a future. It was so hard on everyone, especially my mother-in-law. The not being there was hard. Knowing the details of what happened in the end has been very difficult to process. The kids and I made videos for him to listen to, so there is a lot of peace in knowing that he heard us say we love him. We are so thankful that Hubs and his brothers were all able to be there with him and support their mother. And of course, we are most thankful that he is no longer in pain.

T-N-3-naveen-and-tiana-32565403-499-270.gif

That's all I have to say about that...

So, now for the good news? Well, with everything going on the past few weeks (Hubs flew back last Friday, funeral is in a few weeks, which we'll all fly down for), I only just took my computer this week to get it looked at since the hard drive died. The place was local, and actually recommended by the people at the Genius bar. I took it in Tuesday, and received a call from the customer service rep later that day.

He said that given the problem with the computer (that the hard drive died, as opposed to say, the computer actually being damaged), that recovering my data should be doable. I got an email the next day with the link to everything they were able to retrieve.

They retrieved...EVERYTHING.

tenor.gif

Of course, we are really happy because we not only will we have all of the pictures of our family and kids from the past 4 years, but we will have all of the pictures with my father-in-law that are now truly irreplaceable. A family member has gifted us the bulk of the cost of the recovery for my Christmas present this year, which is just another huge blessing. :thanks:

So, I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend. We spent a lot of time resting and watching movies as a family - Hubs was exhausted from everything that happened, and Bubs has been sick for a few days. We've got some hard weeks ahead, but we're grateful to our extended family and friends for their prayers and support. Hopefully once things get a little more back to normal around here, and of course when I get the retrieved data from the computer-fixer-people, I'll be up for writing the next chapter of our trip.

tenor.gif

I’m so sorry for your loss.

But it is wonderful the photos were saved!

Take your time getting back to the TR! We’ll all be here whenever you are ready!

Chapter 10: Aug. 23 (Part 1): "I'll buy you TWO cupcakes if you ask her!"

Hello my fellow Disers. Long time, no trip report.

In case you came straight to this post, you can catch my IRL updates here and here.

I got my computer and files back today! :cool1:

I was going to wait awhile before my next chapter, but I thought writing might give me a pick-me-up.

Plus, I'm totally procrastinating on doing actual housework. So.

giphy.gif

So, where did we leave off? Ahh yes, we went to sleep so we could wake up for MAGIC KINGDOM ROPE DROP!!!

(I'm pretty sure the grammatically-correct way to write that is always in capital letters.)

We woke up the next day around 6ish to get ready for a 9 AM rope drop. We had FP+ for Pooh, HM, and Splash that day, plus a reservation that we got by a MIRACLE for lunch at BOG at 11 am. Also, we had gotten Rex a Splash FP for later in the day. Our rough plan was to do as much as we could in Fantasyland before lunch, then after our Splash FP, head back FL to finish. Rex also wanted to see Tom Sawyer's Island.

But, first things first: rope drop. Rex hadn't been able to get a FP+ for 7 Dwarves. So the plan was, she and I would head with the throngs to ride it at RD, while Hubs took the kids over to the Peter Pan area to wait for us. After we rode 7 Dwarves, we would ride Peter Pan standby (we had a FP+ for our last MK day, which would be after Rex left.)

giphy.gif

So we drove to the MK about 8am, and parked pretty close - either in Simba or Peter Pan. We took the tram to the TTC and decided to take the boat this time so we could enjoy the morning tranquility of the Seven Seas Lagoon.

upload_2018-11-27_13-49-3.jpeg

Look how happy/well rested/not sweaty we are!

Sidenote...there was a group of people, probably in their early-mid 20's, on the boat with us. There was a girl in the group whose outfit and hairdo reminded me of a movie star/ballerina who had just come from practice. She was kind of stunning and memorable looking (not in a bad way.) My sister also noticed her, and we were both just like...wow...we want to look like ballerinas at Disney!

So we got off the boat and walked down Main Street. It was really nice to be able to meander and know we could go all the way up to the castle.

upload_2018-11-27_13-59-23.jpeg

upload_2018-11-27_13-59-42.jpeg

At about 8:30ish, Rex and I went to the rope on the right side of the castle, while Hubs took the kids to the stage to watch the show. I will say, if you're hoping to watch the show AND RD 7 Dwarves....it ain't gonna happen. We couldn't see anything, although we could hear most of it.

While we were waiting in line, Rex noticed that the movie star ballerina and her friends were standing near us. So near, that the rest of our conversation was in a whisper, for fear of her hearing us:

Rex: Do you see that girl?

Me: The ballerina? Yeah, why?

Rex: Do you know who that is?

Me: (takes a totally-not-obvious look at her): She kinda looks familiar, but I can't tell because of her sunglasses. (They were huge)

Rex: I think it's Saorise Ronan!

Me: (looks at the ballerina some more)...Maybe....are you sure???

Rex: LOOK at her!

Me: No, we have to listen to her. Try to get closer and hear her accent.
(we totally-not-obviously get as close to her group of friends as we can)

(Meanwhile, I'm on Wikipedia looking up Saorise Ronan's biography to see if the name of her mother matches the name on the button of the older woman in their group, whose birthday it was, apparently.)

(Also, we're SUPER jittery with anxious excitement about RD.)

We went back and forth for a few minutes about whether or not it could be her. And then I said:

Me: You should ask her.

Rex: No, not doing that.

Me: Come on! Just be polite, ask if it's her, if it isn't then we know.

Rex: Ok!....(about to ask)...No I can't!

Me: Come on! I dare you.

Rex: No!

Me: I'll buy you a cupcake if you ask her.

Rex: Hmmm....ok....no I can't!

Me: I'll buy you TWO cupcakes if you ask her!

Rex: (getting that look where I know I've got her)....Well....no I can't!!!

Me: Ugh, you're killin' me Smalls.

Rex: I don't think it's her after all, actually.

Me: (Listen closer to her accent) yeah...dang it, her accent isn't Irish like Saorise's.

Rex: Dang it! Oh well.

An almost-celebrity sighting at WDW, ladies and gents. All before 9am.

*End scene*

giphy.gif

Alright. It was time to focus. This was what we'd been waiting for. Rope Drop....and....GO!

People starting moving and we started weaving. I'd say we did a good job of making it at least halfway up to the front from where we were, without knocking people over or pushing anyone out of the way. We got in line and I immediately texted Hubs. He had decided to park the stroller and take the kids on the carousel while we waited. In the end, Rex and I only waited 20 minutes! Since this time I was riding with Rex, I took the opportunity to have my hands raised the whole time - much easier to do on 7 Dwarves than SDD or Big Thunder. Verdict: she loved it!

While we were on the ride, Hubs and kids finished up on the carousel and then met...Peter Pan! I was kinda jealous, actually, because I love Peter Pan (the ride is a MUST do for me), but I was so glad they got to see him.

upload_2018-11-27_14-27-23.jpeg

Can't be too jealous when they smile like that, though!

We got in line for Peter Pan, which was showing about a 30 minute wait at that point. I think it ended up being about that. At DLR, Peter Pan is the ride that you have to RD. We waited 60 minutes on our first trip, 15 on our second and 5 on our third. Also, the queue is entirely outside, so you're just staring at each other willing the line to move. The queue at WDW, however...WOW. Waiting is a lot more fun when you get to do it in the Darling home!

MK 1.jpg

MK 2.jpg
STOP with how cute this is!!!

I think my favorite thing was how the furniture in the nursery was designed to look like a cartoon. Well done, Disney. :thumbsup2

Finally we boarded our ship to Neverland. It was going to be hard to beat the original at DLR, and in the end....it's a close 2nd. The queue is no contest: WDW wins. But DLR reigns on this ride. I'd say the WDW version is still excellent though. (Also, bonus points for being one of the few original dark rides still left after the expansion of New FL.)

After PP, we went to Castle Couture so the kids could get "pixie dusted". I hadn't told them about it, and Hubs kept asking me, "You're SURE it's free??" :rotfl: (yes honey, the Dis says it's free so it must be true.)

MK 3.jpg

They really enjoyed getting sprinkled with glitter. And they really enjoyed that it stayed after several washes of their hair. (We enjoyed that a little less, though.) We played around in the store for a little bit after that. Fun Fact! There's a Photopass studio in Castle Couture.
-PAXP-deijE.gif

-PAXP-deijE.gif

MK 4.jpg

You can use your own camera, but they also have a Photopass photographer there as well. I think it's more meant for the kids who go to BBB, but the CM said anyone could take pictures in there.

Next up, we needed a bathroom break, so we went to the Rapunzel bathrooms since they were right near there.

MK 5.jpg

I'd read all over the web that they were The Most Beautiful Bathrooms at the Magic Kingdom, so I couldn't wait to see them.

I mean.....

upload_2018-11-27_15-42-25.jpeg

The ceiling is painted nicely, and there are cute touches here and there....but....I guess I was expecting more?

(I actually found the really prettiest bathrooms of all the next day. But that's several chapters away!)

We took some pictures with the Rapunzel tower after that, and then lo and behold, we ran into Peter Pan again! We were randomly talking to a CM who Hubs recognized as being from MN when he passed by. I tried to upload a video but apparently it's too large. I was super happy that I finally got to see him up close and personal!

After meeting Pan, we headed to Pooh for our first FP+. Aaaaand it was down. Boo! BUT we were given an anytime FP - YAY! We decided to go ahead and meander on over to BOG for our lunch reservation.

****to be continued***

Last edited:
Reactions: DLo
T-N-3-naveen-and-tiana-32565403-499-270.gif

That's all I have to say about that...
So sorry for your loss, you had me in tears.

I got an email the next day with the link to everything they were able to retrieve.

They retrieved...EVERYTHING.
YAY

You can use your own camera, but they also have a Photopass photographer there as well. I think it's more meant for the kids who go to BBB, but the CM said anyone could take pictures in there.
Did not know this thanks for sharing

The ceiling is painted nicely, and there are cute touches here and there....but....I guess I was expecting more?
right there along with ya

So sorry for your loss, you had me in tears.

YAY

Did not know this thanks for sharing

right there along with ya

Thank you so much. And I was trying not to cry while writing it! :guilty:

You're welcome! There's also a life-size cartoon version of the dress the mice make for Cinderelly to wear to the ball in there!

Oh good, I'm not the only one lol. I really thought I'd missed something, regarding the Rapunzel bathrooms. I do wish we'd gotten to see the area at night though, with all the lanterns!

You would have had me at one. Dude is tough. :)

You know how much I hear this from my wife... never heard anyone else say it so now you have made me realize I need to pay attention to what she is saying when I hear it. Thanks. :thumbsup2

There you go. :rotfl2:

I really almost had her with the two cupcakes! She's a tough cookie, but she has to be, with who she got for two younger sisters (#3 wasn't able to come on our trip.) :laughing:

Haha! You're welcome. :banana:

The Dis never lies. :disrocks:

Chapter 11: Aug. 23 (Part 2): "I'll buy you TWO cupcakes if you ask her!"

***continued***

We meandered over to the Beast's castle for our BOG reservation at 11 am, after our FP+ at Pooh didn't pan out because it was down. When we hit our ADR date back in February, there were zero reservations available for our entire trip! Later we found out that BOG would be closed for refurbishment during our stay.

5d92d8b0-452d-0131-36e3-4643f75caeec.gif

Then...

...in mid-July....

a miracle happened.

tenor.gif

I woke up and checked Facebook like I always do. The first post in my timeline was from a Disney group I'm in that announced that BOG reservations had reopened for the entire time we would be at Disney!!!! So we basically had our PICK of what time of the day we wanted to eat there!!!!

latest

It was truly a Christmas (in July) miracle. We decided on 11 am on our rope drop day, because lunch seemed to be a better value than breakfast, and that way we could get the first seating. Also we didn't want dinner, since it would be a signature meal by then, and we didn't want to be too exhausted to enjoy it.

We got over to the area and had some time to look around and take photos. Beauty and the Beast is my ALL TIME FAVORITE movie, so this was my can't-miss-must-do for the MK.

MK 7.jpg

This area was just so cute! Since we had some time to spare, we jumped in line (aka "There's Gaston, go go go!") to meet this guy:

MK 6.jpg
Brad Garrett's lookalike filling in for the day!

After that, we got checked in to our reservation. I actually didn't realize this but you can't even get into the walkway leading to the castle unless you have a reservation. I guess it makes sense, for crowd control, but wow, that kinda sucks if you just want to take pictures but couldn't get an ADR.

Fortunately, that wasn't us. :banana:

For lunch, they told us to sit anywhere and they would find us. We were hoping for the West Wing (because it's forbidden), but it's really small and was all full, so we sat in the ballroom near the West Wing. (The Rose Room didn't really interest us, and it's apparently closed for lunch anyway.)

MK 8.jpg

MK 9.jpg

For lunch, IIRC, I had the Carved Turkey Sandwich with Pomme Frites.

It was good. I'd eat it again.

But, let's be real. I came for THIS:

MK 10.jpg
For your viewing pleasure: The Master's Cupcake

AND IT WAS AMAAAAAAAZIIIIIIING!!!!!

No really though, it was so good, I can taste it through the computer screen.

I couldn't tell you what everyone else had (although I think one of my kids had the kids' turkey sandwich and the other had Mac & Cheese), but I CAN tell you that because Hubs was on a Disney high, the kids walked away with the light-up Souvenir Castle Goblet at a whopping $18.

Each.

really_house_of_cards.gif

#kids3dad0

We had a great time there, and I definitely recommend eating there at least once. Once again, Disney was able to help my sister find something to eat, including a gluten-free cupcake. The atmosphere was so magical, what with the Beauty and the Beast soundtrack playing. Hubs even took me for a spin on the restaurant floor. #imarriedagoodone

giphy.gif

Before leaving, we of course had to get "the" castle photo:

MK 11.jpg

And the kids showed off their booty:

MK 12.jpg

As much as I wanted to stay there for the rest of the trip, we had a 1 pm FP+ at Haunted Mansion to get to! We had planned our lunch so that we wouldn't have to rush and could have a good break. So we headed to Liberty Square.

When we went when I was a kid, Haunted Mansion was the ride I was most looking forward to riding (and probably came in at #2, after Big Thunder). We'd ridden the DLR version two years ago...and the kids totally freaked. To the point where I had to take them on psychadelic Pooh afterward to put happy thoughts back in their heads. So this time we prepped them a little more:

Us: "Kids, we're going on Haunted Mansion. Yes there are ghosts. Yes it is dark. But you survived last time, and you'll survive again."

Kids:
_220250.jpg

They actually really liked reading the names on the tombstones. When it came time to ride, Bubs rode with me, while Boo rode with Hubs and Aunt Rex. Bubs can be a bit sensitive if he's nervous (takes after me in that way), so he cuddled with me during the ride and wouldn't you know it....

he survived after all. :thumbsup2

But, he did say he wouldn't go on it again. Boo on the other hand, LOVED it. She made a point of reminding her big brother that she "wasn't scared" because "it's not real ghosts" and "nobody's going to get us". Proof positive that she actually listened to me!

(Except I didn't record her saying it. And if a mom doesn't record it, did it really happen? :laughing:)

***to be continued***

(sorry, gotta break to go get the kids from school!)

Last edited:
Chapter 12: Aug. 23 (Part 3): "I'll buy you TWO cupcakes if you ask her!"

First let's start this chapter off with....

Happy New Year, everyone!!!

giphy.gif

It's now 2019, which means it's the year of my 20th high school reunion.

Not sure how I feel about that, actually.

GranularPointedJackrabbit-max-1mb.gif

Basically this.

So.....without further ado....let's get on to the third part of our second day at MK!

(In case you missed the last chapter it's here.)

Where did we leave off? Oh yes, my kids survived the Haunted Mansion!

Not that they wanted to go on it again, of course!

So our HM FP+ was used around 12:45, and we had a FP+ for Splash at 1:40, so we decided to go explore Tom Sawyer's Island for a bit. It was SUPER hot this particular day, with not a gray cloud in sight (possibly the only day it didn't rain!), so naturally, getting on a raft to ride in the bright afternoon sun seemed like the best decision.

MK 13.jpg
Now watch us whip! Now watch us sunburn!

I don't really remember caring too much about Tom Sawyer's Island as a kid, but it was neat to visit again. I'm always up for Bubs getting to have as many non-princess moments as he can at the parks. Of course, both kids loved exploring all the nooks and crannies of the fort. We even paused for a quick game of checkers...

....unfortunately, none of us won, because Hubs and I have apparently completely forgotten the rules.

Anyway.

We walked all over the island and the kids loved it. It was so SHADED, so it scores a :thumbsup2 in my book too. :rotfl:I also kept thinking about how romantic it was on the island. If you're looking for a quiet, not-too-"Disney" spot at the MK to propose, then I think the island is a winner. I especially like the bench on the quiet path facing BTMR.

After Tom Sawyer, Rex and I went with Boo to ride Splash. Bubs was a definite "no" (#thanksSDD), so he and Hubs went off to the games in Frontierland, I think.

Y'all.

My Boo was so excited.

SO brave.

SUCH a big girl.

And y'all. She did SO well!

....until of course, as we rounded to the very last, 5-story drop, then she began screaming....

"I DON'T WANNA DO THIS!!!!"

(Is it wrong that I can laugh about it now?)

I think my reply was something like, "IT'S TOO LATE NOW!!!! JUST HOLD ONTO ME!!!!"
"JUST HOLD ON AND LEAN INTO ME, I'VE GOT YOU!!!!!"
-PAXP-deijE.gif

Third row back. You can't see her face because it's totally buried into my arm, and my free hand is holding onto her as tight as I can.

She definitely cried. :sad:

We definitely gave her ice cream as soon as we got off the ride. :mickeybar

She definitely laughs about it now. *whew*

Since Hubs hadn't gone on Splash, Rex used his Magicband to use his FP+. She had a FP+ scheduled for it at 5:30, so after riding Splash she changed hers to a Space Mountain FP at ~9pm-ish. We had already decided that after Splash, we would head back to FL for a bit, and then probably head out before dinner. (Rex was planning to return alone after we ate.)

We still had a free FP to use since Pooh had been down earlier that day, so we looked at what was available and decided to use it at the Princess Fairtyale Hall, which was an 80 minute wait stand-by! We realized we had been focusing way more on rides at that point, and Boo was dying to meet Elena, while Cinderella is Rex's favorite princess. Bubs, of course, didn't want a picture with them, so we promised he could pick the next FP when we were done there.

mK 14.jpg
Because you can't visit Cinderella's Castle without seeing Cindy herself!

This brings our grand total of princesses met at various Disney parks to 10: Cinderella, Rapunzel, Snow White, Belle, Jasmine, Tiana, Ariel, Elsa, Anna, and Elena!

Afterward we looked at the FP list again, and much to Hubs' chagrin, Bubs decided he wanted to ride Small World. :rotfl: Poor Hubs gets really annoyed with the constant loop of the song on the ride. But, we ain't gonna say no to sitting in a boat in the A/C on a hot day, so off we went!

I tried to upload a photo of us on this ride (from the first post of this TR) but it kept uploading upside down. #usererror

Hubs decided that he liked that this queue was shaded, unlike the one at Land. I think we both decided that the two rides are virtually identical to each other...someone who's ridden both of them multiple times would know better, but there was very little difference to us on this one.

Of course, what was EXTRA special to us was the fact that our kids kept singing "It's a Small World" over....and over....and over....

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

Totally accurate, actually.

We were pretty pooped after that, so the only thing left for us to do at MK was find this totally random purple wall that Rex had seen used as an Instagram backdrop. All she knew was that it was "somewhere in Tomorrowland".

stos.gif

So off we went in search of a purple wall. Fortunately, Rex had a good idea where this purple wall was to be found, although it really isn't totally obvious unless you're looking for it:

Screen Shot 2019-01-10 at 9.52.46 AM.png

Rex got her shot:

MK 15.jpg
#allthedisneyworldpurplewallhashtags

We made one last stop on Main Street at the fire station, to get Bubs and Boo set up with the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom game.

Then, after what seemed like the Longest.Day.Ever....we headed out of the MK. We took the boat back to the TTC, just in time for the day's rain clouds to finally arrive.

After getting back to our room, we collapsed on the bed while trying to decide what to do for dinner:

Him: "Do we have to eat?"

Me: "Uh, yeah. I mean, we at least have to feed the kids. It's required by law."

Him: "I don't wanna go anywhere..."

Me: "Me neither..."

Him: "....."

Me: "WE HAVE LEFTOVER PIZZA!!!!"

Him:

that+is+genius.gif

So we turned on the tv :happytv: for the kids to zone out and chillax while we got "dinner" set up. Rex stayed until probably 7ish, then she went and caught the bus back to the MK. We actually gave the kids baths that night (they wanted to go swimming but we were just zonked), and got them in bed by about 8:30.

After Rex got back to the MK, she went to the first aid station to get checked out. She had started to develop a rash on her legs, above her socks. Turns out - it was the "Disney Rash"! Apparently, due to the heat and germs, some people develop this rash on their legs. It's harmless and goes away as soon as you leave Disney. So be aware, folks!

I can't remember everything Rex said she got done that night, but her Space FP was scheduled for right after the fireworks. She said that she watched them from the Tomorrowland side of the castle, then ran for SM. As she was heading there, she looked back and saw a huge rush of people coming toward her. She did end up getting in the FP line before the crowd, but she told us that if she hadn't run, she would've waited another hour, easily! She probably made it back to our room by 10:30pm.

We went to sleep then, all ready for the next day: our first at Epcot! party:

Last edited:
After Rex got back to the MK, she went to the first aid station to get checked out. She had started to develop a rash on her legs, above her socks. Turns out - it was the "Disney Rash"! Apparently, due to the heat and germs, some people develop this rash on their legs. It's harmless and goes away as soon as you leave Disney. So be aware, folks!
My sister gets the same thing! She started wearing compression leg wraps around her calves whenever she goes to Magic Kingdom and that helped a lot! Surprisingly, it didn't happen for any of the other parks and doesn't for Disneyland! Only on days we went to MK!

My sister gets the same thing! She started wearing compression leg wraps around her calves whenever she goes to Magic Kingdom and that helped a lot! Surprisingly, it didn't happen for any of the other parks and doesn't for Disneyland! Only on days we went to MK!

Good to know about the leg wraps! It was the craziest thing, she was the only one who got the rash, and as soon as she got back home from the trip it started to clear up! Who knew you had to worry about leg rashes at Disney World?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!