Updated Oct 23/"Um, where are my shoes? WHERE ARE MY SHOES?!" Our first trip & report! August '18

Following along! Enjoying reading.
Slightly scared about taking our 5 year old on slinky dog now- she loved 7 dwarf and the hippogroft at universal so hope she will be ok?!

Following along! Enjoying reading.
Slightly scared about taking our 5 year old on slinky dog now- she loved 7 dwarf and the hippogroft at universal so hope she will be ok?!

If she loved 7 dwarves, she might be ok. We watched the Youtube video for Slinky and I will say, I was even surprised by how much more intense it was than the video made it seem. My kids didn't love 7 dwarves, but they also rode it after Slinky, so they were ruined for it already.

upload_2018-10-23_11-42-44-jpeg.360482

Those beignets were AMAZING!!! Definitely worth leaving the hotel room for.
When we were at FQ they were still all regular square shaped. And I am sure they taste the same, but everything tastes better when it is mickey shaped!

Just found your report. I am all caught up and enjoying it. I was in Minnesota last week and I feel your pain on the drive, I drove from Louisiana to Minnesota but was able to do it 1 day. I can't wait to hear more about your 1st trip to WDW.

I got so far behind after our Sept trip but all caught up now! That's funny but not funny about the boat situation, we've had trips like that too and we laugh afterwards :) And as far as the tiffs? Yup, every trip without fail so you're not alone :thumbsup2
Glad you enjoyed 'Ohana! It's been awhile since we've been there. Almost booked it for our trip next month but it lost out to Il Mulino; so many great restaurants and so little time! I do love the Lapu Lapu though :drinking1

Just found your report. I am all caught up and enjoying it. I was in Minnesota last week and I feel your pain on the drive, I drove from Louisiana to Minnesota but was able to do it 1 day. I can't wait to hear more about your 1st trip to WDW.

Welcome!!! Glad you're enjoying the report! We drove to Minnesota from Texas last year when we moved. It really wasn't that bad - just straight up 35 - but we didn't have to go through any mountains. Driving through mountains is a beast!

I got so far behind after our Sept trip but all caught up now! That's funny but not funny about the boat situation, we've had trips like that too and we laugh afterwards :) And as far as the tiffs? Yup, every trip without fail so you're not alone :thumbsup2
Glad you enjoyed 'Ohana! It's been awhile since we've been there. Almost booked it for our trip next month but it lost out to Il Mulino; so many great restaurants and so little time! I do love the Lapu Lapu though :drinking1

Thanks for coming back to read! I can't wait to read your TR!

Glad to know we're not alone with having tiffs. I'm kinda scared to go back now, since I could just save money and argue at home! :sad1:

Chapter 9: Aug. 22 (Part 2): "Let's just have this out right here!"

...continued...

I promised you a pool picture, and a pool picture you're gonna get!

upload_2018-10-26_11-34-43.jpeg

Thanks for not Googling beforehand. :love2:

Those are Hubs and the kids in the foreground. They LOVED the pool, even though Boo didn't ever go down the slide. I found a spot in the shade to chillax with our stuff while they played. (Due to my unhealed surgery wound my doctor said I couldn't get in the pool.)

So we planned to just stay there for several hours. When the alarm went off to go change the laundry, I told Hubs I was going to do that, then go back to the room and try to nap - I was just hurting so bad and was so exhausted.

So I changed the laundry and headed to the room. Rex was still working on her laptop, but it was nice and quiet and I was able to sleep for at least 20-30 minutes. I felt MUCH better after that!

tenor.gif

Ok...maybe not QUITE to this level!

Rex was done with her work pretty soon after I woke up and got reoriented with the world, so we went back down to the pool. MAN it was a long walk! This time we went to the bridge by the Riverside Mill, so it didn't take quite as long. Also, it's a good thing Rex had me to guide her, because along with having the most beautiful singing voice, getting lost is one of her many talents. :jumping1: (Sorry sis, you know it's true!)

We got to the pool and it was about time for me to go grab the laundry from the dryers.

I don't even know how it happened. Really, at this point, I've kind of forgotten. But somehow, someway, my husband insisted on coming with me. I wasn't liking his attitude, and he wasn't liking mine. But, off to the laundry we went, while Rex stayed with the kids at the pool.

We're walking all the way from the pool to the laundry facility, and somewhere on the sidewalk in our part of AB, we had.....another tiff.

It was....kind of a loud one.

latest

Ok, not TOO loud.

I mean, you could only hear us if you happened to walk right by us.

tenor.gif

Which....one or two people may have done....

giphy.gif

He didn't like that I was making him feel unwelcome to help me with the laundry, and I didn't like that he wasn't able to "be present" and enjoy the trip.

So, we hashed out our feelings. Right there. On the sidewalk.

#ALLTHEFEELS

He said his peace.
I leaked a few tears.
I said my peace.
He gave me a hug.
I hugged him back.
He forgave me.
I forgave him.
We kissed.
Said I love you.

making-up.gif

Yes. Very satisfied.

After that, we were all perfectly happy and tiff-free for the rest of our trip!*

(*hahahahaha)

We were able to enjoy the rest of our day though. And I promise, we didn't actually embarrass ourselves. Not that badly, anyway.

He helped me carry the clean laundry back to the room, and he went back to the pool while I had some nice quiet me time...of putting away laundry. It was actually really great to have a few minutes alone in the A/C.

I met up with them at the pool, only this time it was at Muddy Rivers. The pool had closed yet again for "lightening", so they had gone there for lunch. The kids were enjoying some games that the lifeguards arranged...

upload_2018-10-26_12-36-22.jpeg

I don't have any pictures of our food, but I do know the kids got the Kid's Turkey Sandwiches (which came with a package of goldfish crackers, package of baby carrots, and a small bottle of water.) This was the second time Hubs gave in and let them get a "special drink" - Bull Frog Brew (green lemonade, apple, and kiwi juice), served in a plastic mason jar with a lighted lid.

In case you lost count, that's $38.98 we'd now spent on "special drinks" for our kids.

We still had 5 days left after that to buy more. But, anyway.

Hubs and I had turkey sandwiches. They were ok, nothing special, but definitely easier than going all the way to the food court for food. We also had some of the red sangria. It was good.
REEEEAAAALLLY good. :drinking1

I can't remember what Rex had. A salad maybe? I do think she had a "special" drink of her own, since those are gluten-free. :earboy2:

After lunch the pool opened up again, so we (and by we, I mean everyone except me) got back in the pool while I lounged and read a book. I really enjoyed the soundtrack by the pool - not sure what all of it was but I know there was some Southern gospel in the mix, so it felt like home to me. I love that even the pool soundtrack fit into the theme of the resort!

And so, the afternoon drifted by, into a sangria-induced wave of relaxation and happiness. Finally, around 4 pm, we all left to go to the room to get ready. Rex was taking Bubs and Boo on an "Aunt Rex Adventure", while Hubs and I were going to go on a date. Originally, we had reservations for Victoria & Albert's that night. We love fine dining and good food, but a few weeks before the trip we looked at the cost of everything and decided to drop that one. It will always be there. Till next time, V&A. *sniff*

We still wanted to have date night, so we were planning to still go to the GF and eat at Milzner's, and listen to the music, and enjoy the atmosphere of the resort.

After the kids left, instead of getting ready for date night, Hubs looks at me and says, "I'm beat. I'm hurting. I just want to stay here and eat pizza and not walk anymore. Is that ok with you?"

Hmmm...gotta think about this for a minute....

tenor.gif

They were the most beautiful words he'd said to me all day. #truelove

So he went to the food court to order some pizza for us, while I tidied up our room a bit (we decided NOT to opt out of Mousekeeping, because we tend to spread out and take over our hotel rooms). When he got back, he had like three pizzas - one pepperoni, one yucky, and one gluten-free for Rex. So we ate and drank some wine and watched Friends on tv and went over our itinerary for the next day. #datenightinour30s

After the kids came back at around 8, we heard about their adventures before giving them baths. Rex had borrowed our truck and taken them on a resort-hop around WDW. (I was really proud of her for not getting lost!) They started out at Animal Kingdom Lodge...

upload_2018-10-26_13-27-15.jpeg

...and saw some animals...

upload_2018-10-26_13-28-30.jpeg

upload_2018-10-26_13-28-45.jpeg

...and being the good aunt she is, Rex took them to the gift shop to pick out a toy. They wanted the drums - the $50 authentic looking ones. They came home with the $7 rattle drums on a stick instead. :rotfl:

After AKL, they went to All-Star Movies. Rex is a huge 101 Dalmatians fan, and she wanted to see the icons. Plus she knew the kids would love the Toy Story area.

upload_2018-10-26_13-34-5.jpeg

upload_2018-10-26_13-35-24.jpeg

upload_2018-10-26_13-36-18.jpeg

After that they headed to All-Star Sports. I'm not sure why she picked this one over Art of Animation, unless Bubs requested it. Anywho, the kids of course loved it:

upload_2018-10-26_13-37-36.jpeg

As it got closer to dinner time, they went over to the campfire at Sports, and had an "Aunt Rex" dinner of S'mores:

upload_2018-10-26_13-38-40.jpeg

They had a blast that night and came home telling us about how they wanted to switch resorts and stay at all the others (thanks a lot, sis *grumble* *grumble*). Bubs had actually told us the day before that we should switch to AKL so he could look at animals every day :rotfl2:, so we hoped that he got his "fix" that night. We were good parents and made sure they each ate some pizza before bath time, to counter the unhealthy effects of S'mores. :laughing:

All in all, it started out as a rough day, but ended nicely. We felt a lot more rested and were able to get into bed by 9 pm. We knew we needed some good sleep for the next day, which was.....
:mickeyjum:goofy::dumbo: MAGIC KINGDOM ROPE DROP, BABY!!! :tigger::sulley::maleficen

upload_2018-10-26_11-34-43-jpeg.361092

Thanks for not Googling beforehan
WE have stayed at French Quarter before and next time we are staying Riverside. I am intrested to see which pool my girls like better. This one looks pretty cool.

He helped me carry the clean laundry back to the room, and he went back to the pool while I had some nice quiet me time...of putting away laundry. It was actually really great to have a few minutes alone in the A/C.
I always read about people doing laundry on there trips. I would rather pack a whole extra suitcase than do laundry on the trip. I hate laundry.

This was the second time Hubs gave in and let them get a "special drink" - Bull Frog Brew (green lemonade, apple, and kiwi juice), served in a plastic mason jar with a lighted lid.
Sounds intresting..... at least.

After the kids left, instead of getting ready for date night, Hubs looks at me and says, "I'm beat. I'm hurting. I just want to stay here and eat pizza and not walk anymore. Is that ok with you?"

Hmmm...gotta think about this for a minute....

tenor.gif

They were the most beautiful words he'd said to me all day. #truelove
that really is true love!

WE have stayed at French Quarter before and next time we are staying Riverside. I am intrested to see which pool my girls like better. This one looks pretty cool.

I always read about people doing laundry on there trips. I would rather pack a whole extra suitcase than do laundry on the trip. I hate laundry.

Sounds intresting..... at least.

that really is true love!

We went to the pool at FQ later in the week. Stay tuned for which one the kids liked better! (I'll say that I think the lounge chair setup is better at Riverside. There's not as many areas behind fences at POR, thus blocking the view of the pool.

Laundry...it's a necessary evil for us sometimes. We were gone for 2 weeks, so there was just no way to pack that many clothes for 4 people! Plus I had our clothes picked out for each day and some shirts we wore more than once. I really don't mind doing it, as long as I don't have to do it every day. We had built resort days into our schedule so laundry could get done then.

The Bull Frog juice was really sweet actually! The kids liked it.

My Hubs is good man. :)

POR's lobby was more grand, and FQ felt livelier. No doubt that FQ was a beautiful resort, but I think we all preferred how peaceful POR was.
I so agree

Ok, not TOO loud.

I mean, you could only hear us if you happened to walk right by us.
Um so happy to hear we're not the only ones. But when I'm angry I tend to raise my voice (I'm loud to begin with) and I don't get embarressed when I'm angry DH on the other hand is mortified and doesn't believe that anyone else ever argues.
tumblr_mmjt1k0fFx1sp9fcho1_250.gif

we had reservations for Victoria & Albert's that night. We love fine dining and good food, but a few weeks before the trip we looked at the cost of everything and decided to drop that one. It will always be there. Till next time, V&A. *sniff*
You're going to love it when you do get a chance to go.

My husband says everyone has a Disney Meltdown at Disney. It's like tradition so your Tiff was just honoring that. ;)

Watching Friends and eating pizza sounds like my kind of night.

I so agree

Um so happy to hear we're not the only ones. But when I'm angry I tend to raise my voice (I'm loud to begin with) and I don't get embarressed when I'm angry DH on the other hand is mortified and doesn't believe that anyone else ever argues.

You're going to love it when you do get a chance to go.

I'm not usually one to have an argument in public like that. But I guess we felt like we had a bit of privacy, what with the foliage and all. :laughing:

My husband says everyone has a Disney Meltdown at Disney. It's like tradition so your Tiff was just honoring that. ;)

Watching Friends and eating pizza sounds like my kind of night.

I think it was inevitable that we were going to have a meltdown or two. The heat, the HUMIDITY, early mornings, late nights....the real magic at Disney is how people manage to survive their vacations with their relationships in tact!

It'd been so long since we vegged and watched Friends together. I think we needed a break from the "magic" and just needed a slice of the outside world for a few hours. :happytv:

WE INTERRUPT THIS TRIP REPORT TO BRING YOU SOME BREAKING NEWS:

IRL Update

Well folks, my MacBook has bit the bullet. (I'm using my husband's to type this out.) The hard drive died and I'm going to have to take it to a disk recovery place to see if all 25K+ photos that I didn't have backed up can be saved.

This all happened because my computer was like "Update to Mojave!" and I was like "Sure!" and then it was all "Hahahaha lol jk nope, can't do that".

oP0adX1.gif

- Yes, I have the Cloud, but it only has like 2000 photos saved on it apparently.

- Yes, I have an external hard drive for backups. Just hadn't backed up in a looooong time.

- Yes, I took it to see the Geniuses. They couldn't do anything for me though, except diagnose that it was the hard drive that had failed.

giphy.gif

Fortunately for my trip report, I still have my Disney photos on my camera. Unfortunately for my kids, if the disk recovery place can't recover my data, I'll lose most of the pictures I had of them from the past 4 years.

tumblr_mgfb30zKOr1s0p3y2o1_500.gif

- Yes, there was a full day of extreme sobbing.

On my husband's shoulder.

I mean literally though.

He had to change his shirt, actually.

tumblr_p8n96jO4qo1wm3rhio1_500.gif

The most accurate gif I've ever seen.

So fellow Disers (Disboarders? People on the Dis? Anyone reading this, really!), please say a prayer that my data can be recovered!

wp-cache-gif-please.gif

The Duchess commands it.

***This report currently on hiatus and dreaming Disney dreams***

That is a big OUCH I'm so sorry for your loss. Reminds me to get my pics backed up. Hope you can get the pics back.

OH no!!!! That is horrible!!! I am so sorry to hear that! Loosing photos is so hard. Fingers and Toes crossed for you that your data can be recovered!

Thank you! We've had other family stuff going on so I haven't had a chance to take it in yet. I had to take a mental break from it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter