No $200 visa gift cards at my staples. OD only had $100 visa gift cards, but with Dosh, those made sense to buy. Better than nothing. Was hoping to get $1400 but only got $300 today.

No $200 visa gift cards at my staples. OD only had $100 visa gift cards, but with Dosh, those made sense to buy. Better than nothing. Was hoping to get $1400 but only got $300 today.
Can those kind of visas be used at Sams either in store or online to buy GC? I'm still trying to learn the ins and outs of all this.

Can those kind of visas be used at Sams either in store or online to buy GC? I'm still trying to learn the ins and outs of all this.
I know at Costco they auto drain. So if your total is $105 and you swipe a $100 card it wipes it out and the new balance due is $5. I’m not sure how these work at Sam’s. I buy money orders with mine to pay my mortgage.

I know at Costco they auto drain. So if your total is $105 and you swipe a $100 card it wipes it out and the new balance due is $5. I’m not sure how these work at Sam’s. I buy money orders with mine to pay my mortgage.

Is there anything special about your mortgage that allows it to be paid with money orders or is this something common with many mortgages?

You rock :D I used Dosh tonight instead of Wikibuy. Immediately got 4% deposited into Dosh on my $500 Disney gift card purchase at Sam's online, plus the 4% Sam's discount on the card, and now waiting to see if my Capital One Walmart CC gives me 5% reward on the purchase.

I got 1% back on the cc, so when all was said and done I paid $460 for a $500 gc.

Just an FYI, I had no problem buying a $25 amazon gift card at Bed, Bath, & Beyond with a happy gift card yesterday.

Right now there is an Amex offer for $15 back on $100 of Happy gift cards. Also, in the last 2 years Stop & Shop has run promos on happy gift cards in November (last year they even had a few days where you got $10 off $50 and it stacked with $20 free groceries on $100). Office Depot also usually has discounts on the happy card on Black Friday.

And for the past 5 years, BBB has run a promo in December on getting a BBB gift card when purchasing a gift card, although last year they limited it to 1 per address and it was a pain since their rebate center rejected it and you had to email them.

I've also seen that you can have money orders made out to yourself and deposit into you account. Have you tried this?
I'm confused why you would do this though? Money orders cost $1-5 depending on where you get them. Not that thats a lot of money, but it just doesn't make sense to do that.

I'm confused why you would do this though? Money orders cost $1-5 depending on where you get them. Not that thats a lot of money, but it just doesn't make sense to do that.
I pay $0.46 per $500. When OD/OM has $15 off $300, I can buy two $200 Visas for $399, get $8 back from Dosh, and 2k UR points (worth $30 to me). Then I can purchase a $400 money order for $0.46. So it does make sense for me.

I remember doing this last year. Are people seeing eligible Disney GC at their Meijer stores? That is can anyone confirm availability?
I bought $500 worth last week and am going to go back this week to use the $5 rewards I earned ($50 total). Not as good as last month, when I got an additional 3% back on my Disney Visa for "grocery" . But I will take what I can get, more money for Disney.

I bought $500 worth last week and am going to go back this week to use the $5 rewards I earned ($50 total). Not as good as last month, when I got an additional 3% back on my Disney Visa for "grocery" . But I will take what I can get, more money for Disney.
I am at Meijer once a week, which is lower than pre-Covid. I also got $50 in rewards last week.

Yes but you don't want to do it too much if you value your relationship with your bank. So I deposit them in a secondary account.

I have also read in other blogs that if you buy lots of money orders and deposit them in your bank, you have a much higher risk of getting audited by the IRS. So that is another consideration why this deal may not be worth it for some people.

I have also read in other blogs that if you buy lots of money orders and deposit them in your bank, you have a much higher risk of getting audited by the IRS. So that is another consideration why this deal may not be worth it for some people.
CIC maxes out at $25000/year. If you spread this out over 12 months, this is a non-issue IMO. Of course everyone has a different tolerance for risk. But you can generally make car payments, mortgage payments, etc. with money orders with no issue.

@anricat brought up PayPal Key noting she earned Chase quarterly 5% category on PayPal with a recent purchase and @platamama explained it might not be available to everyone at this time but it's coming. I'm no expert but I do feel PayPal Key can help save money even on gift card purchases, let's dig in!

PayPal Key
If you need a virtual card for online purchases but your bank doesn’t offer one, PayPal Key may be your solution.

PayPal Key is a new, free online security offering from PayPal that generates unique credit card numbers for internet transactions.

Here’s how PayPal Key works:
  • Choose a payment method from your PayPal Wallet
  • Receive a secure PayPal Key with its own virtual card number, expiration date and security code
  • Save the PayPal Key to your browser for faster checkout or use it as you would any card online
  • Take PayPal Key anywhere you shop online
Note: If the payment method you chose for PayPal Key doesn’t have enough funds to cover a purchase, we may use another payment method in your account to complete the transaction.
Data Point: American Express works except for travel & entertainment.

Where You Can Use PayPal Key

You don’t need to shop with a business that accepts PayPal as a payment method to use PayPal Key.

These virtual cards are powered by Mastercard. So you should be able to complete a virtual card transaction online or over the phone at any business that accepts a card with the processing giant’s logo.

This applies to both U.S.-based and non-U.S. transactions, though you may be subject to foreign transaction fees with the latter. Check the settings on your PayPal Wallet account and the policy with your actual credit card before making a foreign transaction.

Virtual cards also can be used for contactless payments through digital wallets in select brick-and-mortar stores.

How PayPal Key Works to Keeps Your Information Safe
PayPal Key is a virtual card creator, which means that it produces a “dummy” credit card number, expiration date and security code. This is done to mask the true details of your debit or credit card information, thus protecting you from internet nightmares like fraud and identity theft.

To use Key, you have to have a PayPal account. PayPal lets you to send and receive money from individuals, as well as upload banking, debit or credit card information to make protected purchases with online merchants.

You Don’t Need to Fill Out a Credit Application to Get a PayPal Key
Though you are receiving access to unique credit card numbers specific to individual online transactions, you are not actually applying for a new credit card.

That means you won’t have to fill out a credit application, nor is there a fee to use the Key.

That said, your Key transactions will be reported to credit bureaus (just like any credit card transactions), but you cannot use the key to build credit.

You Can Use PayPal Key as a Browser Extension and with Select Digital Wallets
PayPal says that you’ll be able to integrate the Key product within your internet browsing and digital wallet ecosystems.

Aside from having the unique card number to use anywhere Mastercard is accepted online, you’ll also have the option to embed the Key into the following web browsers for easy access at the virtual checkout counter:
  • Apple’s Safari
  • Google’s Chrome
  • Microsoft’s Internet Explorer
PayPal Key also can be used with the Venmo and Google Pay platforms. It is worth noting that Key is not yet available on Apple Pay or Samsung Pay.

You Can Still Earn Your Regular Credit Card Rewards
If you’re worried about losing credit card cash back or rewards points, don’t fret. PayPal Key will not hinder your rewards earning process.

PayPal says you are eligible to “earn points in the same way you would with any card in your account.”

Currently Chase Freedom Visa & Freedom Flex 4th Qtr: 5% up to $1,500 at Walmart & PayPal.

Final Thoughts
When it comes to cybersecurity, it generally pays to take the extra steps to secure your information.

While some credit card providers — such as Capital One — already provide virtual card services, many others have left cardholders with only third-party options.

If your bank or one of your lenders already offers virtual cards, you may not have much use for PayPal Key. If your card provider does not offer the security measure, PayPal Key may be the perfect solution.

PayPal Key is a hot topic, Greg at Frequent Miler recently posted his take on the benefits to this new program on October 14, 2020.

This post has been added to PayPal Key / Cashback (CB) Portals Discounted Gift Card Websites & Apps

Where do you buy your money orders ?Walmart used to let you buy them with Visa Gift cards but stopped that a while ago. Tried at my post office and that did not work. Would love to know where I could do this. Thanks for any guidance!

Where do you buy your money orders ?Walmart used to let you buy them with Visa Gift cards but stopped that a while ago. Tried at my post office and that did not work. Would love to know where I could do this. Thanks for any guidance!
Food lion.

Added Offers ~ 10/21/20

Discount District
Fareway: Buy $50 Select Gift Cards & Get $5 Fareway Gift Cards Free
Includes: Visa, Mastercard, Uber, Lowe’s, Sephora, Xbox, Nike, Nintendo eShop & Happy​
Expires 10/31/20. Link, READ! :thumbsup2

Walmart: Buy $25 Darden Gift Card & Get $5 Walmart Gift Card Free
Direct link to offer Expires 10/25/20.
I recommend you follow this Link and read Tips & Ideas.​

Amazon & Credit Card Offers

Delta Amex Offer: Spend $300 & Get $120 Back
Expires 12/31/20.​
Update: GC Galore bought Delta gc & $120 was credited to his account but that doesn't mean it won't get clawed back. It will be interesting to see this progress.​

Macy’s Amex Offer: Spend $60 & Get $10 Back
Expires 12/31/20. Link

Citi DP:
  • Citi ThankYou Points Can Be Redeemed For A Gas Discount At Shell, BP, and Amoco stations (Less Than 1¢ Per Point) Link

MISC.
Starbucks:
Buy $15 Starbucks eGift Card With A Mastercard & Get $5 eGift Card Free

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!