Updated Oct 23/"Um, where are my shoes? WHERE ARE MY SHOES?!" Our first trip & report! August '18

Chapter 13: Aug. 24 (Part 1): "Um, where are my shoes? WHERE ARE MY SHOES?!"

Well folks, we have now arrived to the chapter of the trip report in which we find out the story behind the title:

WHERE ARE MY SHOES?!

Happy reading! :surfweb:

Friday, August 24th was our first day at Epcot! It wasn't the most exciting park to me as a kid (except for Body Wars, may it RIP), but Hubs and I couldn't wait to relive the nostalgia of our childhood trips.

And also, eat ice cream and chocolate croissants in France, because #priorities.

Let's check out our hopeful agenda for the day...

upload_2019-1-28_11-56-14.jpeg

We left around 8:30 for the park, which was the easiest to drive to from POR and the easiest to park at. I actually wrote down where in the lot we parked that day, which was Amaze, row 34. It was a fantastic spot and we were up to the gate in just a few minutes.

Something I didn't realize about Epcot is that there doesn't seem to be the mad-rush-to-the-rides energy that's at the other parks. This was easily the least crowded park of our trip and we reeeeeally enjoyed the low crowds. So here I am, trying to hurry us up to Turtle Talk, and literally everyone else is cool as a cucumber.

giphy.gif

Rope dropping Spaceship Earth, of course

We headed to the Seas pavilion and didn't realize that you can't actually rope drop Turtle Talk, because it didn't open until about 9:40! Ok, no problem, we thought. We'll just go ahead and ride Nemo instead of waiting for our FP window to open.

Except....it was down. Closed for about 20 minutes.

Y0jn.gif

The kids were getting pretty bummed (which is always a GREAT way to start the day!/sarc), so we looked at our schedule and realized we could go ahead and meet some characters with no wait in line, so off to Baymax we went!

Bubs was really excited because he loooooves Baymax, and we were all excited to spend some time in the glorious air conditioning. One fun thing is that Baymax is super soft and squishy, so the kids gave him lots of hugs...over...and over...and over....

Bless the poor cast member inside the costume!

Big Hero 6, literally

After that, we headed to HQ to meet Joy and Sadness.

Epcot 1.jpg

Y'all.

Sadness.

She got me.

I mean she REALLY got me.

We had a bond.

A connection.

It's like she could see into my soul.

She just hugged me and...I couldn't let go.

I felt like if I told her all my problems, she would listen.

(I mean, she'd have to, right? Because face characters are forbidden to speak in costume? So I'm sure my problems would've made for some great water-cooler conversations backstage. Best to just keep my mouth shut then! :laughing:)

Joy was awesome too, of course. Boo in particular loved her. They're pretty much soulmates.

#blessed

The Disney app was showing that Nemo was open by then with no wait, so we went back over to the Seas and boarded our clams. The ride was really cute, definitely not a thriller, but the kids enjoyed it. Afterward, we stopped to look at the manatees for a few minutes, then headed to Turtle Talk.

TTWC is Bubs' most-favorite-ever thing to do at Disney. Out of our three visits to the Land, he got picked once (on our last visit) to ask Crush a question. Boo has never been picked. So we were all hoping that at least Boo would get picked (something I've learned by accident is that kids wearing a hat of some sort tend to stand out...*hint*)

So Crush comes out and starts the show, and eventually, Bubs gets picked to ask a question! But even though I was sitting behind her, I knew Boo was upset. She was trying to hold back those tears. She was feeling left out again. #momintuition

And then, Crush asked to speak to the girl with the "really tall ears"...

upload_2019-1-28_13-36-49.jpeg

SHE GOT PICKED TOO!!!!!

:dancer:

Of course, Hubs and I were crying our happy parent tears as well.

55FuYFR.gif

That is why we Disney, y'all. Those sweet little moments when our kids light up because a cartoon character talked to them and it just made their day. It really (almost) makes it so much easier to fork over all that money for a trip. princess::earsboy:

giphy.gif

For the kids, of course.

After Crush, we had almost an hour before our Spaceship Earth FP window even opened, so we hung out at the Seas and basically went through the whole thing. The kids really loved it.

First we learned about the manatees, and then spent so much time watching the scuba divers swim with the fish.

Can you spot the Hidden Mickey?

We had to practically tear the kids away (I guess a half an hour of watching fish swim isn't long enough?). I love how the CMs just stopped and talked to us and shared little tidbits of information.

For example, the Hidden Mickey in the picture (did you find it yet?) gets moved around by the divers from time to time, and at Christmas, it gets a Santa hat!

We decided to go over to Character Spot, which was showing a 30-minute stand-by at that point. I think we waited around 20, but it felt like the line moved pretty fast.

First we said hi to Mickey...

upload_2019-1-28_14-1-52.jpeg

...then we said hi to Bubs' pal Goofy...

...then of course, hugs with Boo's main girl, Minnie!

Hubs can protest all he wants about being a sappy Disney fan, but the proof is in the photo:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

#lovehim #hecantdenyit #Disneyforever

After we left Character Spot, we did a quick bathroom and water break. We all noticed how much better and less tired we felt than in the previous days. Apparently spending most of the morning in the a/c means.....you don't get overheated and exhausted as quickly.

tenor.gif

Next chapter: Spaceship Earth FP!

UdUQeIM.gif

****to be continued****

Last edited:
Reactions: DLo
IRL Update!

Hey y'all! :wave: It's been awhile!

giphy.gif

71 days, actually, but who's counting? Clearly not Gloria Stewart.

Well I didn't intend to wait this long between updates, but life happened. Let's see, there was...

- Winter in Minnesota
200.gif

Basically me, trying to get anywhere since January.

We're finally thawed out and were above 60 yesterday! But we're getting another 20 inches (possible) on Thursday. Because of course we are.

- Loss of two friends

giphy.gif

Yes. February was especially rough because two of my former co-workers passed away. We had all worked together over a decade ago, but they were rather young and one was very unexpected.

So yeah. Not a great month. :sad1:

giphy.gif

So add that to lots of staying inside due to below-zero temperatures, seasonal depression, and trying to work through the loss of my FIL....we've been trying to find ways to stay positive.

Such as...

- Lots of family movie dates! :dumbo:

source.gif

Mary Poppins Returns was totally adorable, if a little long.

1528876138-dumbo-elephant-reveal.gif

Dumbo was cute with the exception of a terrifying circus scene that forever scarred my daughter.

DimwittedKindChimpanzee-size_restricted.gif

The best part of Ralph Breaks the Internet was every scene with the princesses, of course!

....and....

- Preparing to move back to Texas!

tenor.gif

Because Hubs works from home, he talked to his boss about us moving back to our home state. His boss is awesome and very much understands our desire to be near our family again (and he won't have to travel much more than he already does). So after a decade away from my hometown we are finally moving back this summer! :cool1:

ComfortableLankyChameleon-small.gif

Hopefully in the next week or so I can muster up the energy to update this trip report. Stay tuned!

a637d2fdb8a9a1ae74de33c0b3ad43e6.gif

Last edited:
- Loss of two friends

giphy.gif

Yes. February was especially rough because two of my former co-workers passed away. We had all worked together over a decade ago, but they were rather young and one was very unexpected.
I am so sorry to hear that. My husband has lost 2 college friends, and it has hit him and his friends hard.

DimwittedKindChimpanzee-size_restricted.gif

The best part of Ralph Breaks the Internet was every scene with the princesses, of course!
This is THE BEST!!!! I want a whole movie of this!

Because Hubs works from home, he talked to his boss about us moving back to our home state. His boss is awesome and very much understands our desire to be near our family again (and he won't have to travel much more than he already does). So after a decade away from my hometown we are finally moving back this summer! :cool1:
That is exciting and give you something exciting to look forward to. I am sure it will be some work to pack up and move. Good Luck!

I am so sorry to hear that. My husband has lost 2 college friends, and it has hit him and his friends hard.

This is THE BEST!!!! I want a whole movie of this!

That is exciting and give you something exciting to look forward to. I am sure it will be some work to pack up and move. Good Luck!

Thank you so much. It was really shocking and very sudden. My sincerest condolences to your husband! :rose:

---

I love that they brought back all of the living princess voice actors! It really was the best part of the movie!

---

Again, thank you! We are starting to purge our stuff since this is the first time we're moving ourselves (we've always been moved by the military before now.) But we can't wait to be back in the warm weather!

I'M FINALLY BACK!

Hello DIS peeps!

For those of you waiting for my next trip report.....

my apologies for the tardiness.

As it always does, life happened.

Basically, the last few months (does 5 count as "a few"?) have been crazy busy.

After my last post, we:

- had approximately one million end-of-school activities :crazy2:

- decided to try to buy a house in TX from MN

- lost the house to someone who got there first :sad:

- decided to rent instead, since we wouldn't be able to see it in person and realized we didn't want to have buyer's remorse from buying out of state

- lost the first rental to someone who got their first

- finally got a house to rent in a great neighborhood :dancer:

- said bye to friends up north

- moved and all that goes with that

- got unpacked/kids enrolled in new school/etc etc etc

- welcomed a new nephew!

- got sick from kids going back to school

and now we're

- ready for a nap!

So stay tuned...I need to go back and fix a few pictures that the boards have eaten (WHY?!) in a few of my past posts. If you just happened upon my report, let me know what you think! I plan to get the next chapter written within the next week!

Last edited:

Chapter 14: Aug. 24 (Part 2): "Um, where are my shoes? WHERE ARE MY SHOES?!"

Y'ALL. IT'S TIME FOR ANOTHER CHAPTER! :cool1::cheer2::banana:

Where I last left off months ago, we were on our first day at Epcot, finishing up at Character Spot. It was now mid-morning, and we had a FP for Spaceship Earth.

Epcot's most famous icon, affectionately called "The Giant Golf Ball" by my kiddos.

Bubs was so excited to ride this one (after we promised it wouldn't be scary like SDD #stilltraumatized), so we rode together. I honestly don't remember riding this one as a kid, although I'm sure I did. I would definitely recommend riding this at rope drop or with a FP.

The kids loved it, of course, and I tried to take photos, but this scientist diva was the only one to not come out a blurry mess:

#skillz

After Spaceship Earth, we landed in the Project Tomorrow playspace. Bubs and Boo were in HEAVEN with the "series of exhibits that bring innovative ideas and technologies to life".

AKA, "the video games". :laughing:

Actually the games were pretty cool. There was a race car one and a version of "Operation". The "energy game" was by far their favorite:

They basically had to sweep all of the digital trash in order to build a city.

Yeah. I don't really understand, but, the kids loved it, and it was fun watching them play what looked like a digital game of Olympic curling, so there ya go!

The time was coming up for our Test Track FP, and thanks to the harrowing memories of Slinky Dog, and Radiator Springs Racers at Disneyland on a previous trip, both kids gave an emphatic

to going on the ride.

Well. Ok then.

Rex and I decided we would go, so Hubs took the kids to see what Innoventions East was all about. When Rex and I got there, the ride was closed :sad: because the sky kinda looked like this:

Thanks for the memories, Disney!

We hoped we would get another chance to ride later before we left, but as it turned out we never did. However, Rex and I have ridden RSR at 'Land twice together, so we comforted ourselves with knowing that it is a superior ride (according to all the Disney bloggers who say so) to Test Track. :cool2: #stillupsetthatitwasclosedthough

So we met up with the Hubs and the kids at Innoventions. While it was a nice, quiet indoor spot to rest in, there didn't seem to be a whole lot to do in there. We decided to head to Club Cool, and then to the World Showcase for lunch.

I hadn't told Rex about the Beverly and was hoping to trick her into trying it. Alas, on our way over there she said, "Hey! I heard they have this drink called the Beverly that's really bitter and we should try it!"

Hubs was, of course, laughing at me and my foiled plan, and then insisted that I should also try the Beverly, as punishment for trying to set up my sis.

We have great video of this moment as well, but inserting videos into my trip report is apparently not my forte, so let's just say that our response was something akin to:

Pretty accurate, actually!

Hubs was a good sport and tried it too, but the kids refused to after watching our reactions. :rotfl:
We spent a few minutes trying the rest of them - I think my favorite was the sweet one (couldn't tell you which country it was from though!)

When we were done, we stopped to take a picture in front of the World Showcase...

.....and noticed that that huge gray cloud we'd seen earlier was following us and we were likely about to get rained on. We ducked into the Port of Entry just in time for the heavens to open. I mean, it was poooooouring. We waited for about 10 minutes and realized that it wasn't going to let up, so we pulled out our ponchos and put the kids into the stroller and covered them up.

And then it happened.

Can you guess? Take a guess.

You know what happened.

Another.tiff.

And when I say "tiff", I mean "yeah this was a really big fight". >:(

The funny thing is, I'm not even really sure who got angry at who first. Hubs at me? Me at Hubs? Hubs at Rex? Me at Hubs for being angry at Rex? Rex at Hubs for being angry at her?

And why? Who knew at this point. 🤷‍♀️

(Although I do know that part of my anger was at the fact that we were yet again HAVING A TIFF AT DISNEY!)

Fortunately for the rest of Epcot (and our kids), we weren't loud (this time) and got a lot of our pissed-off-ness at each other out on the walk over to France. It was still pouring and we were soaked, so we went as fast as we could. I don't know about the others, but I sure was grumbling not-very-nice things in my head on the way there, while also grumbling at the fact that I couldn't stop to take in the sights because of the rain and aforementioned fight. :sad2:

Alas, we made it to France in one piece, and went to our already-agreed-upon lunch destination of Les Halles, where we joined literally every other person in Epcot to have a bite and wait out the rain. :rolleyes1

(to be continued because I've maxed out how many pictures I can put here!)

Chapter 15: Aug. 24 (Part 3): "Um, where are my shoes? WHERE ARE MY SHOES?!"

So where were we? Oh yes. Lots of pouring rain. Lunch at Les Halles. Another tiff at Disney.

We got to Les Halles, which was crowded because of the rain, and there was no where to sit. We tried to get our bearings and find a table. Hubs, who needs something "to do" when he's upset, sent me, Rex, and the kids to go get our food while he looked for a table with our stroller. (I guess it was raining too hard for us to want to leave it outside.)

The kids and I picked out an assortment of yummy sandwiches and desserts, and they got a kick out of me speaking French with the CMs. I was in HEAVEN at Les Halles, because if you read my pre-trip report, you'll remember my francophileness and love of all things Belle.

It hurts, it physically HURTS. :laughing:

I don't remember exactly what we got to eat, but I do know that the mouse au chocolat and pain au chocolat made it onto our trays. Hubs had miraculously found us a table and he got his food - and brought us mimosas. #franceforthewin

While we ate and dried off, we tried to cool off. Chris and I stepped away, had a come-to-Jesus talk again, and made up. And I insisted he talk to Rex about whatever was bothering him instead of going through me. So they had a pow-wow as well and made up and became friends again (as we say in our silly family). :love2: The kids, who were blissfully unaware, had by that point started wandering around Les Halles and found the KidCot station. I actually had no idea what it was, but apparently there's one in each country. You get a postcard with a saying written in the native language, and they usually have a small craft or coloring sheet you can work on. And best of all, they're a FREE souvenir the kids can look forward to collecting!

During lunch, we took off our soaked socks and shoes and stuck them in the bottom of the stroller. I always bring my Reefs with me, so I put those on. It had finally stopped raining, so we ventured outside to check out the area.

The area was so adorable - obviously fairytale version of France, but hey, fake France is better than no France. Of course I got a picture with La Tour Eiffel:

as did the kids:

Then we headed over to Morocco, hoping to see Jasmine and Aladdin, but alas they weren't out yet. :genie:Morocco was stunning. Absolutely beautiful.

We didn't stay there long because there wasn't a lot to do and the kids wanted to keep going after they got their postcard, so we headed to Japan to explore.

When in Asia...pose with a peace sign. ✌

Japan was beautiful because, well, Japan, but I felt like there should've been something a little more to it. A fake Mt. Fuji? Cherry blossom trees? There's a lush Japanese garden in St. Paul that we had visited, so maybe I was just subconsciously comparing them. We looked through all the shops and I found several kimonos I would've loved to have....but alas, Hubs wouldn't spend the $$$$ to get me one.

Something about all the $$$$ being spent on a trip to Disney....

We did get to catch the Matsuriza - the super cool drum performance. Bubs was enthralled - it was easily one of his favorite parts of all of the WS.

We left Japan and headed to the American Adventure area. Bubs loves early American history, so he was excited, and we were all looking forward to finding the restrooms :rotfl:because we had looked and looked in the previous 3 countries and been unable to find any at that point. And America always has bathrooms. #greatestcountry #cleanbathrooms #IhearttheUSA

(My TA later laughed and told me that there are actually bathrooms in almost every country, but yes, the ones in America are the best. So clearly we just suck at reading maps. :laughing:)

So pretty I had to take a picture of it. Take that, Rapunzel bathrooms. 🇺🇸 >☀

We found the Kidcot station and chatted a bit with the CM for a bit. I asked her what Epcot stands for, and without missing a beat, she responded, "Experimental Prototype City of Tomorrow". :cool2: #impressive

(In writing this report, I had to look it up because I'd forgotten. :laughing:)

There was a showing of the American Adventure coming up, so we went into the Rotunda just in time to catch part of the performance of the Voices of Liberty.

Fun fact: dude on the far right is also a Dapper Dan in the MK!

If I had a voice like Rex, I'd audition to sing in a Disney Park in a heartbeat.

But alas. I do not. :rolleyes1

So we hung around the Rotunda for a bit, enjoying the a/c, and headed to the theatre for the 4:30 showing.

(to be continued...)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter