UPDATE: Rant about the GCH...and Undergarment Thief

We were there on July 29 to Aug 3. Paid for a premium park view and they tried to put us in a DTD view, nope no way, then it was a pool view, nope not happening was put in room 5440, we like that area but they really need to get rid of some trees or stop charging what they do. Took them 30 min to put me in the category I paid for. First night no hot water, that was a very cold quick shower. Our 3rd night we get back to the room at midnight and we were locked out of our room took 20 minutes for maintenance to show up and then he had to call security because it need reprogramming which only security can do, the security guy working that section wasn't answering his call so it took 30 minutes for another one to come so my husband and I are sitting on the floor getting a lecture on how the earth is only 7000 years old and how we need to believe in god and blah, blah, blah.

We were there on July 29 to Aug 3. Paid for a premium park view and they tried to put us in a DTD view, nope no way, then it was a pool view, nope not happening was put in room 5440, we like that area but they really need to get rid of some trees or stop charging what they do. Took them 30 min to put me in the category I paid for. First night no hot water, that was a very cold quick shower. Our 3rd night we get back to the room at midnight and we were locked out of our room took 20 minutes for maintenance to show up and then he had to call security because it need reprogramming which only security can do, the security guy working that section wasn't answering his call so it took 30 minutes for another one to come so my husband and I are sitting on the floor getting a lecture on how the earth is only 7000 years old and how we need to believe in god and blah, blah, blah.
Wait, who was lecturing you? The security guard??

Wow!! That is truly awful and completely unacceptable at the price point their charging!!
Luckily we had no issues on our recent stay at DVC villas at GCH at the beginning of July - I would have been fuming at everything you've described!

Is it possible that the water temp is an issue only in the room you were in? We're at the GCH at this very moment and haven't had any issues whatsoever with water temp this week.

Our room also overlooked the pool, and we didn't hear any jackhammering? What time did it happen?

Sorry! I missed this. The jackhammering was Monday morning August 5th. Lasted several hours in the morning.

Please report this to management; it's beyond inappropriate.

I'm so sorry about the laundry thing. That is just downright creepy. :crazy2: And I'm glad they were able to refund some of your fees since your service was definitely subpar. I hope this your worst experience ever! (ie. I hope all your future trips are way better!)

I am surprised that the unclean room didn’t concern him more. I find that the most glaring because very, very clean rooms can be gotten for $200 a night. Housekeeping, (adequate amount of staff and management overseeing it, full training, room supplies, quality spot checks and a well oiled rotation schedule for cleaning) should be an absolute assumption at $700.

...I'm toying with writing him another email, just reflecting on his guest service to me. Should I bother? I don't want to seem like I'm fishing for something more. I'm not. I just think he shouldn't have been so dismissive about a woman's experience with an obvious sexual deviant as a result of failed hotel maintenance. And yes, I laughed and he laughed....but really, it's more creepy-disturbing-funny-after-the-fact than downright Ha-Ha funny. I certainly was NOT laughing that night. Or the next three days.:sad2:
I wonder if it was a specific decision or simply an oversight, but the laundry room in the VGC wing has never been locked (VGC is almost 10 years old).
The Ice/Vending rooms throughout GCH are locked, but the VGC rooms are unlocked.

What you experienced was unacceptable at any pricepoint - let alone at GCH prices.

Hard to say whether its worth pursuing with another email. I guess it depends on what you're hoping to achieve out of the interaction, and whether what you went through would be enough to stop you from booking GCH in future?

I'm so sorry about the laundry thing. That is just downright creepy. :crazy2: And I'm glad they were able to refund some of your fees since your service was definitely subpar. I hope this your worst experience ever! (ie. I hope all your future trips are way better!)
I think I’d leave it at that. Glad you’re getting a refund. He should have given a free future night or something imo.
What you experienced was unacceptable at any pricepoint - let alone at GCH prices.

Hard to say whether its worth pursuing with another email. I guess it depends on what you're hoping to achieve out of the interaction, and whether what you went through would be enough to stop you from booking GCH in future?

Good points! I think I was just a little miffed that he "poo-poo'd" the experience of having personal undergarments stolen through what is obviously an unlocked door - and cared initially more about the Cabana Host interaction. For me (obviously) losing 2.5 days at the Parks feeling, uh, NOT put together was way more of a guest service bummer than the CM attitude poolside. I would have preferred he answer me truthfully saying it was always unlocked, rather than giving me an "I'll look into that" kind of answer followed by "besides, no one from the street could find it anyway!" Just didn't feel like a genuine response. Really a brush off. And if the other laundry had been operational, the theft honestly probably wouldn't have happened. IMO

And I'm not going to ask at this point, but yes, it would have been nice if he had refunded the two nights I had to survive without panties. That would've definitely made me a happy camper, cause it sucked!! Can't tell you how much I'd start sweating right before the dreaded...

"TUG ON THE YELLOW STRAP...PUSH UP ON THE BAR"...!!!

My DH still yells both around the house just to watch me turn red....:rotfl2:

You know, I was thinking about your situation and I have decided it’s straight up ridiculous.
Last week I stayed in an RV park in Montana and paid a flat $35 for the camping site and hookups. It was immaculate and quiet. They had modern large, spotless clean bathrooms and hot showers. They had a secure and working laundry room steps away. They had WiFi, games, activities, tourist info, ice, vending, etc.
All the staff was warm and helpful. One staff member drove over in a golf cart just to check on us and even went back to the office to fetch us more change for the washer.
The fact that I got more superb service, cleaner and working facilities and amenities at an RV park for $35, well it’s just silly.

Last edited:
You know, I was thinking about your situation and I have decided it’s straight up ridiculous.
Last week I stayed in an RV park in Montana and paid a flat $35 for the camping site and hookups. It was immaculate and quiet. They had modern large, spotless clean bathrooms and hot showers. They had a secure and working laundry room steps away. They had WiFi, games, activities, tourist info, ice, vending, etc.
All the staff was warm and helpful. One staff member drove over in a golf cart just to check on us and even went back to the office to fetch us more change for the washer.
The fact that I got more superb service, cleaner and working facilities and amenities at an RV park for $35, well it’s just silly.

I don’t care if you pay 35 for 700. We should all get great service and be treated as we’re all special guest. I don’t need the red carpet pulled out but still. A little better than what she got isn’t asking a lot

I'm not saying this would have made the experience less awful - because it does sound bad on all fronts - but couldn't you have purchased some new underwear somewhere to be more comfortable for your last few days?
That’s what I was thinking too! I would have found some somewhere or had them delivered to me.

Well, we didn't have a vehicle on site and there was nothing in DTD. I honestly didn't think about delivery at the time - silly, cause Amazon delivers everything, right? If it hadn't been so late at night and if we weren't at the last two days of the trip, I probably would've tried to take a taxi somewhere. I just didn't want to interrupt the whole family vacation, spending the time and money away dealing with underwear issues. But no, it was most definitely not the end of the world. It's getting funnier (for the whole family) as the days pass!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!