UPDATE: Math Error! New Numbers, New Plan, DDP+ Math: Drinks and Character Meals FTW

Of course, the flip side of this is also true. Because I've paid a certain amount already for the plan, I need to make sure I'm "spending" at least that amount when I eat. So I will almost always only order the more expensive items even if that's not what I really want to eat.

So, yes, I can make the plan work and spend the correct amount, but I'm not always eating what I want, even at the same restaurants because I've self-imposed a need to not lose money.
Very true and that’s one of the top arguments I see come up in every discussion about the plan. We rarely see the opposite of that: the freedom to choose the most expensive thing for the otherwise cheap (by habit or necessity).

Very true and that’s one of the top arguments I see come up in every discussion about the plan. We rarely see the opposite of that: the freedom to choose the most expensive thing for the otherwise cheap (by habit or necessity).

I see that one fairly often too. It really is not only a math exercise (and that part MUST be done), but also a psychological one. Everyone needs to know which side they fall on when it comes to spending money. AND you need to know how the rest of your party does all of it too. If ever just DH and I go without the boys, I could see us MAYBE using a plan, but I know with the boys, we'll always come out ahead and still eat exactly what we want without any plan.

I see that one fairly often too. It really is not only a math exercise (and that part MUST be done), but also a psychological one. Everyone needs to know which side they fall on when it comes to spending money. AND you need to know how the rest of your party does all of it too. If ever just DH and I go without the boys, I could see us MAYBE using a plan, but I know with the boys, we'll always come out ahead and still eat exactly what we want without any plan.
We did the plan for several years before prices spiked and it hit a point where it wasn’t much of a value anymore. Now we have a 1 year old so I want to pack as many character dining opportunities in so we’re not waiting in lines so I’m sure we’ll be way ahead with the plan for the next 8 years.

I’m telling ya, the ingrained budgeter in me wants to pearl clutch the costs of character meals these days. We actually decided to try the Plus this time so we don’t have to choose between our favorites and character meals. We plan to do slower paced touring so two TS a day should work for us and I feel much more comfortable with total dining costs by bundling all those character meals in with the plan.

To be able to consider ANYTHING on the menu (included in the plan of course) and not feel like I need to restrict myself is such a big thing for a lot of people.

So, yes, I can eat at Disney cheaper than what I’m paying for the plan even at the same restaurants, but the plan helps me lose self-imposed restrictions.

Some people see the plan as limiting. Other see it as freeing.

I hope your friend feels absolutely spoiled.

Yes, I definitely want it to feel like a luxurious vacation, even staying at a Value.
Yes, going through this exercise, choosing "What would we order?", reinforced that for me, that paying OOP, for me, is mentally restrictive. For one thing, I had literally NEVER had an alcoholic drink at any Disney resort or restaurant of any kind, because of prices (plus tax and tip!). Until the DDP added alcohol. And I *loved* it. I also had Catch of the Day fish and steak, both things I would never choose and among the best things I ate on my trip.
The sticker shock was so bad (and reaching into your wallet to pay is a different shock than merely looking over menus while still at home) on our first trip, DLR in 2012, that I just didn't order anything at CS places. I just ate the kids' leftovers, which is as appetizing and satisfying as it sounds. I would pull something similar if I tried the "I'll just bring Disney gift cards loaded with the money I know I'll spend." Because that gift card is fungible enough that I would forgo food, or at least alcohol, knowing that I could get a Rey vest or those cute Mouse ears or a Loungefly bag or that gorgeous droid dress for my DD that isn't available outside the parks!
I can't wait to take a couple different special ladies, and snack and drink like queens! princess:

The debate will rage on...

For us it totally depends on the trip... If it a family trip... yes we go for the DDXDP it works for our family... if it's just DH and myself normally no..and yet we have gotten the dining plan for just the 2 of us a few times.... We are locals, and AP holders so we do Disney different than most people...

I think that planning, and understanding what works for you... and how to use the plan to make it happen is the most important tool to using the Different dinning plans...

It's really just up to you...

:flower1::flower1:pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter