Upcoming port/itinerary changes HERE

Exactly. Maybe it was on Cruise Critic that I said the same thing. Especially as the Magic and Wonder return to Florida and Caribbean/Bahamas routes - there simply are not enough days for doubles. (Even if there are now prior to that, I don't see them making that switch because can you imagine the outcry...)

You may have said it here. I didn't really feel like wading through 10 pages of nothing but speculations. :-)

You may have said it here. I didn't really feel like wading through 10 pages of nothing but speculations. :-)

It's cool. I have said similar things before and remembering if it was outloud, in private message, or on one or both forums I visit is a challenge. :)

did you see the article about Marriott sending a ferry over to St. Thomas to pick up their guests, filling about 1/2 of the 600 seats on the boat, and leaving the other 35 people there because of "liability issues" - I think that Marriott has lost some potential customers for life. I know that I will stick with other hotel chains in the future.

I heard the dock would not allow them to board additional passengers, not that it was Marriott's decision...

We're on the 2/18 Wonder which is supposed to go to St. Maarten and San Juan... no idea if that's happening.

Thats what my coworker had told me also - she was livid even though she said it was due to regulations of some sort. It sounded like other cruise lines had showed up soon after however... I hope those that needed off ASAP were accommodated! :sad2:

St. Thomas is not as bad as St. John or Tortola but it is in bad shape. Hospital lost roof, airport terminal is basically gone, and many hotels have announced they will be closed at least to the new year. Electric is coming back online which is good for water treatment. There is looting.

Of course there is looting... grr. Clearly its not enough to lose everything and barely get by as it is. I hope they are able to round up these ruffians for proper justice before this is all over. :mad:

Exactly. Maybe it was on Cruise Critic that I said the same thing. Especially as the Magic and Wonder return to Florida and Caribbean/Bahamas routes - there simply are not enough days for doubles. (Even if there are now prior to that, I don't see them making that switch because can you imagine the outcry...)

Outcry!? People's have been planning these vacations for over a year and their entire plan changed within a couple weeks of leaving. And you think others would whine that these travelers get a 2nd day at CC? I should hope not...just as I am not whining that we can't go to St Thomas and Tortola for our trip. The people on the islands obviously have bigger issues than us travelers. You do what you have to do to salvage your vacation. In my case, i am scurrying to make alternate arrangements. The people you think might complain could certainly just hop on one of those new double dip sailings.

Outcry!? People's have been planning these vacations for over a year and their entire plan changed within a couple weeks of leaving. And you think others would whine that these travelers get a 2nd day at CC? I should hope not...just as I am not whining that we can't go to St Thomas and Tortola for our trip. The people on the islands obviously have bigger issues than us travelers. You do what you have to do to salvage your vacation. In my case, i am scurrying to make alternate arrangements. The people you think might complain could certainly just hop on one of those new double dip sailings.

I meant outcry about later ones that get changed and DON'T get a double dip.

Because many of us are tied into school breaks and cannot "certainly just hop on one of those new double dip sailings".

I meant outcry about later ones that get changed and DON'T get a double dip.

Because many of us are tied into school breaks and cannot "certainly just hop on one of those new double dip sailings".

I see. That makes more sense. People will complain no matter what happens I suppose.

I've seen them do 2 days at CC before... I don't know what season, and I don't think it was back to back days, but they've definitely done it previously.

I've seen them do 2 days at CC before... I don't know what season, and I don't think it was back to back days, but they've definitely done it previously.
I have seen back to back CC on consecutive days before because I remember how jealous I was. I do remember them ha ring to go out to sea and then redock the second day.

They have done "double dip" cruises that were scheduled that way. And they tend to be considerably more than "regular" Castaway cruises.

To my knowledge they have not randomly added a day at Castaway before.

It seems strange to me that people view a double dip at Castaway Cay as a great thing. I thought CC was OK when we were there, but was looking forward to seeing new islands. I'd be a little disappointed if my 7 day Eastern turned into something like Day at Sea, Day at Sea, Castaway Cay, Day at Sea, Castaway Cay, Nassau. However, no matter what, I've still got 7 days to relax with my family.

It seems strange to me that people view a double dip at Castaway Cay as a great thing. I thought CC was OK when we were there, but was looking forward to seeing new islands. I'd be a little disappointed if my 7 day Eastern turned into something like Day at Sea, Day at Sea, Castaway Cay, Day at Sea, Castaway Cay, Nassau. However, no matter what, I've still got 7 days to relax with my family.
I am only disappointed that we lost a day at sea. We picked the eastern because of its 3 days at sea. But I'm not too broken up about it, I'm just elated to go cruising

I am only disappointed that we lost a day at sea. We picked the eastern because of its 3 days at sea. But I'm not too broken up about it, I'm just elated to go cruising
Agreed. I like the extra sea day of the Eastern as well. However, we have been to Cozumel and Grand Cayman so many times that one or both of those days are effectively going to be sea days for us, as we probably won't get off the boat, and will just do pools and/or spa. However, we are also slated to do another Eastern on the Wonder in February, so we will so how that shakes out and when they make a decision on that. I agree with the post made earlier that San Juan will probably be available, but I doubt that St. Martin will be by then. Although, I am sure that the people of the island will sure want and need the tourist money flowing back in by then. I guess it's just more wait and see. 7 Days on a Disney boat and not at work and they can take me pretty much wherever they want.

Agreed. I like the extra sea day of the Eastern as well. However, we have been to Cozumel and Grand Cayman so many times that one or both of those days are effectively going to be sea days for us, as we probably won't get off the boat, and will just do pools and/or spa. However, we are also slated to do another Eastern on the Wonder in February, so we will so how that shakes out and when they make a decision on that. I agree with the post made earlier that San Juan will probably be available, but I doubt that St. Martin will be by then. Although, I am sure that the people of the island will sure want and need the tourist money flowing back in by then. I guess it's just more wait and see. 7 Days on a Disney boat and not at work and they can take me pretty much wherever they want.
That's what we said, we'll likely sleep in and just relax in the adult deck by the pool and enjoy the quiet. I do think that sea days are more active, at least in the ship's activities. But it's still going to be an amazing cruise.

All of my 'sea day' stuff is booked for the day that will most likely get changed to a port day. If DCL would let me keep it, I wouldn't be as bothered; I'd rather do Palo than go to Falmouth. I booked a 3-sea day cruise because I prefer sea days.

Staying on ship on port day =/= sea day

That's what we said, we'll likely sleep in and just relax in the adult deck by the pool and enjoy the quiet. I do think that sea days are more active, at least in the ship's activities. But it's still going to be an amazing cruise.
We did the western for a second time this past Christmas. One of our favorite days was staying on the ship during Cozumel. It was really nice and empty. Had a nice pool day with kids,
did some trivia, had a nice lunch. There were plenty of activities to keep us busy. During the sea days, we could never get near the aqua duck without a long line. It was fun for the kids to keep riding it with very little wait!

All of my 'sea day' stuff is booked for the day that will most likely get changed to a port day. If DCL would let me keep it, I wouldn't be as bothered; I'd rather do Palo than go to Falmouth. I booked a 3-sea day cruise because I prefer sea days.

Staying on ship on port day =/= sea day
We had planned an early breakfast out on the back deck of cabanas, to enjoy nothing but ocean around us. We'll still eat there, it just won't be the same.

Hard to say when we'll actually know--but might be a good idea to get on the DCL site and see what's offered on Cozumel, Falmouth and even Grand Cayman. Some other sites I am on are hinting strongly that's where we'll likely be headed..but who really knows???

I've checked out the Disney offerings for the western excursions. We will have out 18 month old with us, there are so few options with children that young available through Disney. It makes it hard. We had a private sail and snorkel day booked in St Thomas, I'm not sure I can replicate that one.

While I don't like Castaway Cay all that much, three see days, two CC days and Nassau sound great. I'll just stay on the boat and have the whole place to myself, thankyouverymuch. :D

They have done "double dip" cruises that were scheduled that way. And they tend to be considerably more than "regular" Castaway cruises.

To my knowledge they have not randomly added a day at Castaway before.

It happened on our spring break cruise several years ago on the Dream (2011? 2012?). There was a problem w/ the aquaduck. The evening after our first day at CC we were told we were going back to CC the next day instead of having a sea day. Guessing they were able to get parts there to make the repairs.

I've checked out the Disney offerings for the western excursions. We will have out 18 month old with us, there are so few options with children that young available through Disney. It makes it hard. We had a private sail and snorkel day booked in St Thomas, I'm not sure I can replicate that one.

The private sail and snorkel excursion sounds awesome -- I've struggled over my last few cruises with young kids to find excursions they can go on. I'm definitely going to look that up in the future!

If your new itinerary is going to Cozumel, my vote with an 18 month old would be the Playa Mia beach break excursion. We did that when our older DS was 18 months and it was great. They have a whole section of small water features and water slides for young kids that he loved. There was a regular pool, too, plus the beach with chairs. And if you do have older kids, there is a whole area of inflatables in the ocean. We also did the Turtle Farm in Grand Cayman on that cruise -- not as much of a favorite for me, but DS did enjoy it. Fair warning, though, the "touch a turtle" section was a bust as they would not let kids that young touch the turtles. We just walked around the secured port area on Jamaica.

Good luck! You'll still have a fabulous time -- the Fantasy is an awesome ship and you'll still get that great topical feel from the Western islands! Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter