Up-charge for "customization" of otherwise free celebration pins in the parks...?!

babs33

Earning My Ears
I may be behind the times on this one but I just heard in a video from another Disney vlogger that I follow that those free *Happy Birthday/Anniversary/Whatever* pins are now available for "customizations" with designs and "3D cursive writing"... for $3 per design. So if you wanted your name in "3D cursive", and a couple of little stars around it.. your otherwise free pin would be $6.00.

I realize this is a super small silly thing compared to the non-stop shameless money grabs from WDW as of late, but I think this one just sent me over the edge lol. I don't know why I am so surprised, but I AM!

(P.S. Sorry if this has been mentioned already! I didn't see anything upon a quick search.)

I hadn’t heard about the customization of the free celebratory pins. But I did see the new pins/buttons for sale in the shops that say I’m just here for the snacks and other cutesy phrases. I think those are $6-10 for two. I don’t know what they look like but in my opinion paying to upgrade a free button is not high on my priority list.

It’s free if you want them to personalize it at the resort or City Hall with your name on it.
The buttons only cost money if you only want them to personalize it at the Christmas shop at Liberty Square, and you can choose colors and designs like fireworks or balloons, etc.
Otherwise the regular pins are still free and they’ll write your name on it for free.

You can still feel free to get the complimentary ones.
Disney is trying to keep up with the trends they see.
I personally just customized several buttons on etsy that have to do with rides/inside jokes from my family.
Disney has seen this and wants to get people to buy THEIR buttons. Same has happened with shirt designs in the last 6-8 months.

We are usually celebrating something and often get a pin. The CM's have frequently done a great job writing the name on it in a special/fancy/decorative way - one more way they are awesome. However, we've seen that these names (which were only applied with a marker) wear off pretty easily, does anyone know if the purchased customization rubs off as easily?

We are usually celebrating something and often get a pin. The CM's have frequently done a great job writing the name on it in a special/fancy/decorative way - one more way they are awesome. However, we've seen that these names (which were only applied with a marker) wear off pretty easily, does anyone know if the purchased customization rubs off as easily?
The pin DD is wearing for her birthday in my profile photo was customized at the X-Mas shop in MK on May 18th. The CM there offered to put clear tape over so that it would last longer. It's held up pretty well.

The pin DD is wearing for her birthday in my profile photo was customized at the X-Mas shop in MK on May 18th. The CM there offered to put clear tape over so that it would last longer. It's held up pretty well.
Yep the tap dose work to keep the writing on. Sometimes you have to ask for it other time the CM will do it for you

I personally don’t see this as a money grab. The cost is the same as if you were getting an ornament personalized and as others have mentioned, it is still free if you get the standard sharpie.

You can still feel free to get the complimentary ones.
Disney is trying to keep up with the trends they see.
I personally just customized several buttons on etsy that have to do with rides/inside jokes from my family.
Disney has seen this and wants to get people to buy THEIR buttons. Same has happened with shirt designs in the last 6-8 months.
I agree with you...I have a denim jacket I put Etsy-aquired buttons on, like my "I love Walt" button and so on. Wdw sees an opportunity for a niche market.

We are celebrating two big things & the cast member at guest relations was so happy for us and gave us each two buttons - one for each celebration.

The same magic is here. Nice that there are options for those that want it.

I personally don’t see this as a money grab. The cost is the same as if you were getting an ornament personalized and as others have mentioned, it is still free if you get the standard sharpie.

I think what bothers me the most is that years ago, this was just a cute thing CMs would do if they happened to have a creative hand. I have a few standout pins from trips past with hearts, stars, smileys, fireworks, Mickey's...whatever the CM felt like doing, if they felt like doing anything. I know the standard Sharpie versions are still free.

I don't mean it as a harsh criticism. I understand why they would do it with the onset of so many Etsy-inspired shops/items, but it does make me a little sad that there are such few things left - even the TINIEST things, like this - that Disney hasn't begun charging for.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I think what bothers me the most is that years ago, this was just a cute thing CMs would do if they happened to have a creative hand. I have a few standout pins from trips past with hearts, stars, smileys, fireworks, Mickey's...whatever the CM felt like doing, if they felt like doing anything. I know the standard Sharpie versions are still free.

I don’t see how that will stop. I don’t see how that is the same as “3D cursive” designs done at a different place than where you can pick up the buttons.

very recently I've had CM write in pretty cursive on the button, not like the result and start again. They are also putting the tape on top because they know how fast the writing will fade

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!