Unsure where to post question about scooters...

My Dad has a bad back and can't walk or stand for very long times, so he rented a scooter from Walker Mobility before we left. My mom wore herself out after a couple of days. (Her new knees work great! Her old feet and her old legs and old hips, OTOH...) She went up to Guest Relations at Epcot and rented a scooter mid-day.

She then called Buena Vista scooter and rented one for the remaining three days of the trip after that with no problems. (The walk from the bus to the front of the park and back was the worst part of it for her.)

There is no shortage of ECV rentals and unless you're plowing into people, nobody's paying any attention to you. This can be problematic because the number of people who walk in front of scooters is pretty high. I wonder if these are the same people who walk in front of traffic, taking for granted that drivers will just stop on a dime for them? I ended up leading both my parents around through crowds and creating a buffer. Other people with ECVs used their horns effectively, but my parents didn't want to do that. If anyone does have a problem with it (unlikely), they can go jump in a lake. There's lots of them in Florida to choose from.

The only problem they really found they had was that many times, they couldn't get on the Disney bus together, or the buses were already pre-loaded with wheelchairs and ECVs. It wasn't a big deal, it just meant a longer wait. The benefit now is that you can sit on your scooter on the bus, whereas it was discouraged before.

My Dad has a bad back and can't walk or stand for very long times, so he rented a scooter from Walker Mobility before we left. My mom wore herself out after a couple of days. (Her new knees work great! Her old feet and her old legs and old hips, OTOH...) She went up to Guest Relations at Epcot and rented a scooter mid-day.

She then called Buena Vista scooter and rented one for the remaining three days of the trip after that with no problems. (The walk from the bus to the front of the park and back was the worst part of it for her.)

There is no shortage of ECV rentals and unless you're plowing into people, nobody's paying any attention to you. This can be problematic because the number of people who walk in front of scooters is pretty high. I wonder if these are the same people who walk in front of traffic, taking for granted that drivers will just stop on a dime for them? I ended up leading both my parents around through crowds and creating a buffer. Other people with ECVs used their horns effectively, but my parents didn't want to do that. If anyone does have a problem with it (unlikely), they can go jump in a lake. There's lots of them in Florida to choose from.

The only problem they really found they had was that many times, they couldn't get on the Disney bus together, or the buses were already pre-loaded with wheelchairs and ECVs. It wasn't a big deal, it just meant a longer wait. The benefit now is that you can sit on your scooter on the bus, whereas it was discouraged before.
They still don’t really like you sitting in the ECV when the bus is moving, but I offered during our last trip and the driver said it was up to me. I usually chose to stay on it.

They still don’t really like you sitting in the ECV when the bus is moving, but I offered during our last trip and the driver said it was up to me. I usually chose to stay on it.

Drivers seemed to encourage him to stay on to free up seats, but did say he didn't have to. They just said he had to seatbelt in if he was staying on.

My mom rented one later in the trip and she preferred to stay on because she felt bad about already taking up three seats with an ECV.

3 years ago, my wife and I both ended up renting scooters “just for AK”. We were 47 yo and both quite overweight.....so the walking was hard. It made such a difference in our trip. Two years ago, we took our new, 8yo,son for his first visit. We were much quicker to rent and the difference was even bigger. I’m taking him in January on my own and will still get a scooter. Once I got over the mental space of “people are laughing because I’m so fat and lazy” and focused on “I enjoy the trip more and my son doesn’t care...and I will never see these people again” I realized how big of a change it was. Good luck with your reluctant member.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!