Unplugged Chit Chat Thread

So sorry @hertamaniac - hope the pain starts to subside soon. And what's the saying - "No good deed goes unpunished?".

You sound like me - strange, adventurous things happen to me doing regular, everyday stuff, and the kind of things that never happen to anybody else I know all the time. So much so that my friends who have been around to see enough of them, gave them the name "Heidi-Ventures". Another friend who'd never experienced them pooh-pooh'd the idea, and thought were were all just being melodramatic, even though I TRIED to explain most Heidi-Ventures turn out okay in the end, it's just the torturous (and fantastical) process of getting to the end of them. Then she and I went to the movies a couple of weeks ago at a big, busy, always-crowded mall, where people circle for long periods of time looking for parking spaces, follow you to your car from the exits, etc. We got blocked in and prevented from leaving for approximately 1/2 an hour, while the 3 cars wanting our spot got into a screaming, and eventually shoving, road rage incident, fighting over the spot!! They were also taking pictures of each other and each other's license plates, posting them on social media, etc, - VERY weird, and kinda scary!! The only way we finally got out of there is me calling the local PD, who sent mall security (of course - NONE around the whole time the incident was going on, otherwise I would have flagged them down!) and a squad car for backup. When we were FINALLY above to leave, my friend turned to me with REALLY big eyes, and said "That was a Heidi-Venture, wasn't it?". I smugly said "Ayep"!!!!!!!! :) :)

I have my adventures like that too. Yesterday while dh was taking some papers/electronics to an event at our credit union...I was home with the dog. Well, I had to take outside, some of our neighbors got in a fist fight---I'm not sure what it was it about since I only heard of it in Spanish. It seems okay at that house for the rest of the day (multiple relatives sharing a home).
Then, a few hours later, dh takes me out to an early birthday dinner a night early since he has his last week of working nights for now (new job next week), we went to Chili's. We had last eaten at Chili's over 10 years ago plus. We saw online that the menu had dropped old favorites from the past and portions have really reduced. We had no wait at 60pm on Saturday...that should had clued us in. We decided to do the 2 for $25 meal deal. We had ordered chips and salsa from dh's email deal and that was pretty decent. We took a long time to order since I was trying find what appeal to me that did not have bell peppers (slight reaction). We decided on their appetizer on awesome petal...it came...and it did not look like a sharable portion since it came in the same basket used for their portion of fries. Another server came by and asked if we are wanting for another portion of the onion and we said that we were not sure if what we got was correct size. Then, our entrees came. The burger was okay and cooked to the right temperature, but dh's fajitas were a let down---paid extra for beef and it had the most pitiful portion of sour cream/cheese/pico/guac and the runniest black bean mix. I felt bad for him as he a view of the place that we go for fajitas/Mexican that we tend to go for birthdays/special events that you get a lot for about the same amount of money or less. However, we were to hungry to do that place's Saturday dinner crowd waits and they are closed on Sundays. He was hoping for the "shared dessert" choice for cheesecake, but I claimed birthday girl choice and ordered the cookie skillet since it would be nice on a cool night to have a warm dessert..right? Well, it took a while to come and the ice cream did not melt except the tiniest place where the cookie had warmth. It was the hardest cookie skillet ever. I could not use a spoon to break the cookie so I had to hit the spoon like a chisel which got the waitress to come by quickly and ask if we need anything and she took the cookie away and gave us the cheesecake in a to go box (we asked it that way) and we were only charged for the2 for 25 deal plus the beef up charge. We laughed a lot about it.

We then went to Target since it was in a nearby parking area. I could not believe that there was so much Halloween candy and supplies still there. I got some cheap enchilada sauce, salsa, and 2 Target exclusive M&M flavors. If we had the money, our dog would had some Halloween wear like angel wings, devil outfit, tutu, and witch. She is to fit plus we are moving soon.
You may think nothing else was exciting could happen...well...about a half-mile to home...I got a glimpse of a white blur. It was a male deer with a big rack of antlers along the road munching on grass. I let out a high pitch noise and dh was able to avoid the deer and the deer moved away in time. The deer along my car door side and looked in. I think he was seeing what made that noise and ran away to safety. I told dh that the deer may have been in our yard or nearby lately since our scent hound keeps on looking at the back and side yards for something.

I hope for a Disney birthday dinner next year.

Today is my birthday. :cake:
Dh made brownies yesterday too before he did some errands---it was a lot better than Chili's skillet cookie.

We usually don't go out on Saturday night at a restaurant---usually takeout or leftovers.
Happy Birthday Belle!

Yes, @hertamaniac - We had lights on, tried to back up several times, my friend (and me - with a cane!) got out several times, asking when we were going to be freed from the hostage situation. And this was at Westfield Garden State Plaza! It has gotten even bigger, more bloated, crowded, (and dangerous - especially at the holidays) since you were here, I'm SURE!

Paramus Park pales in comparison, and is actually my "go to" mall, since Bergen Towne Centere (what used to be the Bergen Mall) expanded years ago, added a bunch of stores I'll never shop at, but also a Super Target, making it extremely busy, and moving the bus stops (and grocery store) several blocks away, across several busy streets, making it extremely challenging to access for seniors, or those with mobility issues. Unfortunately, Sears at Paramus Park recently closed down, and they are building a HUGE Stew Leonard's Dairy Store there (I am familiar with the one in Bridgeport, CT. There are also several Stew's Liquors around) and also adding a movie theater. They will totally DESTROY the family-friendly, easily accessible. nicely busy but uncrowded vibe there as well, which will pretty much cut me out of mall shopping. I also love to go to PPrk to hangout/people watch/get something to eat solo, on public transportation - I will almost definitely not be doing that anymore either, once renovations/expansions are complete. :( :(

@SorcererHeidi - I found your next home just went up for sale. Can you say Disneyfied?

https://www.realtor.com/realestatea...-Rd-NW_Palm-Bay_FL_32907_M54881-28214?view=qv

You saw that too! I'd made a tongue-in-cheek comment that on my "if I win the lottery" list was DVC, but I was wondering if in the long term this would actually be cheaper because of maintenance fees on DVC. :)

I'd be torn between spending my time in the Mickey pool or the grotto. Nah.....I'd take the onsite go-kart track.

Insert lottery win clause here!

@hertamaniac - I LIKE it!!!!! And if I hit some kinda jackpot, and you're on your best behavior, I'll even let ya come and crash in the West Wing from time to time - IF you have a FP for it! :P You too, @Aerin75 !!

Gee - I could even auction off stays there for the marathon show!!!
Wait a minute, wait a minute. I thought we weren't allowed in the West Wing! Oh wait, wrong castle.....

I saw that property on my FB feed and did some research. This always happens to me. I see an ad or article and I want more info on it. The picture I saw didn't even give me the number of bedrooms etc. It just tells about the Disney stuff inside. Two hours later I have sifted through all the stories etc. My first thought was I wonder who these people are to want so much Disney in their house. There were rumors that the house was built by Mary Blair. Does anyone remember what her role at Disney was??

Anyways this might be interesting. Check out the comment section. http://www.disneyeveryday.com/blair-family-hidden-mickey-mouse-mansion-in-palm-bay-florida/

I was surprised tonight that this is not the only house in the area that is decked out in Disney. https://www.today.com/home/disney-themed-house-windermere-florida-has-be-seen-t127216

I saw that property on my FB feed and did some research. This always happens to me. I see an ad or article and I want more info on it. The picture I saw didn't even give me the number of bedrooms etc. It just tells about the Disney stuff inside. Two hours later I have sifted through all the stories etc. My first thought was I wonder who these people are to want so much Disney in their house. There were rumors that the house was built by Mary Blair. Does anyone remember what her role at Disney was??

Anyways this might be interesting. Check out the comment section. http://www.disneyeveryday.com/blair-family-hidden-mickey-mouse-mansion-in-palm-bay-florida/

I was surprised tonight that this is not the only house in the area that is decked out in Disney. https://www.today.com/home/disney-themed-house-windermere-florida-has-be-seen-t127216
Wow - that house has a LOT going on! And I guess I've turned into an old "Get off my lawn" cihck, because all I could think, looking at that Christmas room was, "How much dust do all those plushes attract, and who wants to CLEAN all that?" :) That's why I cut WAY back on all my collectibles/plushes, etc. Just go to be too much to even THINK about cleaning around all the time.

Interesting - thanx for sharing, @Alicenwonderment !

Last edited:

Thanks for the links. What appeals to me is the architecture that incorporates Disney, not necessarily the merchandise/murals (although very impressive). Certainly, having a home custom built Disney centric limits the market, but perhaps that is a selling point to a certain clientele. The comments about the family and cost of upkeep makes me wonder if the maintenance costs are exorbitant and the owner(s) are trying to capitalize on a seller's market (especially in Florida).

It does make me question if a buyer would "play possum" and take a position that they are not Disney fans, but are merely interested in the home location/size/amenities.

Thanks for the birthday wishes!

No trick-or-treaters this year even with new kids in the neighborhood. We had bought candy for just in case, but it was what we like anyway. Many people go to town to the malls/stores/food venues or they go to trunk or treat events.

We are moving within a month, but not a Disney theme home (local move for now...to make sure about job security is really best to stay local...plus it seems better way to move quicker if the right opportunity comes around. We are looking this week since we may have the closing on our house soon (lots of fine print to look over). He wants a short commute for now if he is doing days plus other factors.

No trick or treaters here either. However, I did go to a town near me (used to live there) where the kids all come down the main street and trick or treat at the businesses downtown from 3-5, just to see all the costumes. Didn't even know who a lot of them were, but I saw a LOT of superheroes (Capt. America, Thor, Black Panther), Incredibles, Mickey and Minnie Mouses, and princesses. Also saw 2 of the REALLY tall, popular blow-up dinosaurs that loo REALLY hard to waddle in, but are incredibly cool/funny to see walking down the street. :) Glad I did it, it was fun.

Had a friend who went to the Greenwich Village, NY parade for the first time last years, and also did it this year. She had lots of fun, but said since it was such a nice day this year, there were a LOT more people, and it was kind of overwhelming.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!