Universal's Dining Plan?

Squigglove

Earning My Ears
Hey all,
I'm familiar with Disney's Dining Plans but I don't want to take for granted that Universal's works exactly the same.
For example, at Disney you get a souvenir cup that you can fill with coffee, tea, hot cocoa, soda, etc. But Universal said their souvenir cup is only good at the Coke machine (soda only).

With Disney, you (used to) have six months in advance to schedule your dining options. Does it work this way with Universal?
How do reservations/Dining Plans work in general?

Please advise. I'd rather not have any embarrassing surprises. Thanks a bunch!

So in general, UOs dining plan is not like WDW at all. UOs has 2 plans. The one with the table service meal is no savings at all, you will most likely always lose money because it can only be part of a package, and the savings usually aren't as good as booking everything separately.... Now the counter service one can save you some but you have to be really smart with it. The big difference between UOs and WDWs is that you can buy it on the spot and not everyone in your party has to. So if you want to do Leaky Couldren breakfast. The kids meal is $12.99 but the quick service deal is only $17.99. The quick service deal with come with an extra drink so a $5 gillywater. Now I essentially get two snacks for "free". Also your credits don't have to be used that day. The refill mug is coke freestyle machines only, no coffee, no hot chocolate. So your best bet is to NOT buy it ahead of time, rather see what you want then decide if the meal plan is a good option or not. Also just IMO, UOs counter service is terrible compared to WDWs with the exception of the HP restaurants. We much prefer the sit down restaurants in the parks and they're only a couple of dollars more than the quick service places. Also, about reservations, you can make them a couple of days before, its not like WDW at all. I know, that seems strange, it took some time to get used to but its great not having to plan out every second of your vacation.

Can you get water at the coca cola freestyle machines if you have the dining plan with the souvenir cup? Thanks. :flower1:

I have done the counter dining plan a few times but purchased it at the time I was ordering food.
It was a spur of a moment decision.

I was very hungry and the TM putting in my order suggested I could come out ahead a few bucks by using the promo they offered

It sounded fine for me and went with it

Not a tremendous saving but still a decent savings.

If you have an activated freestyle cup (whether or not you have the plan), yes, you can get water.

Thanks so much for the info. I get dehydrated easily and would use it for water more than soda. I probably would get soda with a snack or meal. I am a big water drinker though. Thanks again. :thanks:

Thanks so much for the info. I get dehydrated easily and would use it for water more than soda. I probably would get soda with a snack or meal. I am a big water drinker though. Thanks again. :thanks:

I don't know how familiar you are with UO's Coke Freestyle refillable mug program, but keep in mind you will have to wait 10 minutes between refills. I've never refilled with water so I don't know if it's timed the same way as soda. If you need water, most carts with regular soda are supposed to give you free water just like QS at Disney does. I also found that the Icee stands at UO will give refills with activated refillable mugs. We enjoyed finding all the different flavors of Icee thru the parks. The stand in the Simpsons area are the only ones that didn't give refills on Icee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter