Universal with type 1 diabetic

kt_mom

DIS Veteran
We are headed to Orlando next week for a missions trip with my daughters youth group. I go along as a room leader to monitor her bg overnight. Usually at the end of the week they spend one day in MK and we are well versed in how to do everything there. But this year I just found out the last day will be at Universal Studios. I have no knowledge really of this park or what to expect for her. She is on a Tslim pump and dexcom cgm. I usually carry a bag with some extra supplies and so does she with sugar and stuff. But I'm hearing that on some rides you can't carry stuff through the line? Does she need to take her pump off? And what about her test kit? I'm just wondering what to expect. I will be leading a group of girls and we will have to stay together as a group so I just want to be prepared.

Hi that is correct that you can't go through some of the lines with any bags or things in your pocket. It is for ride safety. There are lockers provided for free if you need one. Honestly, with a medical condition like this I would call Universal guest services and find someone who can help you with that answer. You will have a good time it's a great park! Good luck :)

You do not have to take the pump off on any ride. When you get to the metal detector, she will simply tell them she has an insulin pump and cgm. DH usually always has the pump in his hand as we approach so that if isn't an issue.

Everything else will need to go in the locker while you're on the ride.

But this year I just found out the last day will be at Universal Studios. I have no knowledge really of this park or what to expect for her.

KT_mom.....please don't worry about Universal trip. My granddaughter is a Type 1 diabetic and though she is not on the pump we carry her glucose monitor, Insulin pens, plenty of fast acting carbs and other snacks to help with any blood sugar issues should they arise. We carry a small back pack with her supplies and she always has a small package of fast acting carbs with her in her pocket.

The TM's are very helpful and kind at Universal. If she should have any problems were you feel she needs additional help stop and ask any employee (TM) at the parks (at rides, food stalls, restaurants, shops etc... and they will call for a medical team to assist you.

You probably know this already, but the additional walking and heat contribute to lowering the blood sugar. Even as vigilant as we are with granddaughter we had a 98 degree day while we were there in May and the she had a low which we treated without difficulty. A TM walked past us and stopped asked if he could assist in anyway and stayed with us until she was feeling better and her blood sugar was stable.

I have always marveled at how they go above and beyond to make sure all who visit the parks have a safe and wonderful time. That's why we keep coming back. We love Universal.

You all will have a great time pixiedust:

Last edited:

We're going in 2 about 3 weeks, my daughter is a type 1. We did Disney last August but this is our first Universal trip. We're staying onsite so we'll have unlimited express. We use a Frio pack for her insulin and it works great. Happy to hear TM's are helpful.

We're going in 2 about 3 weeks, my daughter is a type 1. We did Disney last August but this is our first Universal trip.

Looked up the frio pack. Looks like a great option for keeping insulin cool.

Yes, TM's are really lovely folks and so helpful.

We always stay onsite also. The additional perk of the Express pass is well worth it. We love the Resorts there. We always stay at the Portofino Bay. You can't go wrong with any of the Resorts. They are all very nice. The convenience of having the refrigerator in the room is so helpful for insulin storage.

You will love Universal. Have a great trip pixiedust:

Agree with everyone else - pump and cgm not an issue - even with metal detector rides (my daughter is the same as yours: t:slim and dexcom). We've always left everything else in the lockers including any fast acting sugar she's carrying around. I suppose if she had a zippered pocket you could throw some starbursts in there or something if having no sugar on her makes her panicky.

Thanks! I'm excited to try something new, but with her being type 1 I'm always a little nervous in new situations. We've used the frio packs in the past when she carried pens around, but now with the pump we just make sure the pump is full. I wonder if I should dig it out just in case though. We usually do Disney in the fall when its not quite as hot.

I wish we could do the express pass, there's one you can pay for when you get there I think right? If it was just the two of us I would just do that, but we'll be with a group and I doubt most of the kids will have the money for that and as a group leader I have to stay with my assigned group of kids.

Are the lockers at the beginning of the line or closer to the ride? That could be a long wait with no test kit or sugar. Neither of us owns any shorts with zip pockets so I'll have to figure out something. I don't mind leaving my phone and stuff in a locked locker, but her being away from her test kit and sugar for so long in an environment like that makes me nervous. She won't mind, lol, but that's because she'll be distracted having fun with her friends. I mind though, because I know how quickly it can change when you're doing a lot of walking in the heat, eating and correcting and adrenaline and all that. She tends to run high in the parks at Disney, but when it drops, it drops quickly. And generally she feels it but like I said, she'll be distracted with a group of friends. I'll have to figure out something.

Thanks! I'm excited to try something new, but with her being type 1 I'm always a little nervous in new situations. We've used the frio packs in the past when she carried pens around, but now with the pump we just make sure the pump is full. I wonder if I should dig it out just in case though. We usually do Disney in the fall when its not quite as hot.

I wish we could do the express pass, there's one you can pay for when you get there I think right? If it was just the two of us I would just do that, but we'll be with a group and I doubt most of the kids will have the money for that and as a group leader I have to stay with my assigned group of kids.

Are the lockers at the beginning of the line or closer to the ride? That could be a long wait with no test kit or sugar. Neither of us owns any shorts with zip pockets so I'll have to figure out something. I don't mind leaving my phone and stuff in a locked locker, but her being away from her test kit and sugar for so long in an environment like that makes me nervous. She won't mind, lol, but that's because she'll be distracted having fun with her friends. I mind though, because I know how quickly it can change when you're doing a lot of walking in the heat, eating and correcting and adrenaline and all that. She tends to run high in the parks at Disney, but when it drops, it drops quickly. And generally she feels it but like I said, she'll be distracted with a group of friends. I'll have to figure out something.

I wasn't even thinking - we had express pass, which is now good for all the rides (even Harry Potter) so we never had long wait. Lockers are at the beginning, but there are only a couple of rides that are strict about nothing in pockets.

There are only three rides that require that you remove everything from your pockets - Rip Ride Rocket, Hulk and Dragon Challenge. Every other ride (even the locker rides) allows you to keep stuff in your pockets or in a secure fanny pack.

Well since it is busy in the summer and you don't have Express pass that could possibly make waits an issue especially with the heat. It's been hot in Orlando.

You will have to put phones and bags in the lockers before you get in line for rides. Lockers are by the rides that require them.

I think considering you could be waiting in lines for long time after phones and other bags are in lockers. I would keep your treatment bag with you that has her glucose monitor and fast acting carbs etc... Tell the TM's at the rides what is going on. It is critical that she be able to treat herself for lows and highs. Hopefully they will be able to hold the bag for you while you all ride and return it as you get off.

Since you usually are at Disney when it's cooler. Might want to check with manufacturers suggestion on pump temperature needs as a precaution.

Also take a look at the Universal Orlando park maps on their website it will give you a lay of the land.

There are plenty of restaurants and shops to get into to cool off. Take advantage of that for frequent cool off breaks.

Also there are rides were she will get wet as in Popeye and Bluto's Blige Rat Barges, Dudley Do-Right's Ripshaw Falls ( both of these drenched) and Jurassic River Adventure depending were you sit. Not sure if that is an issue for the pump.

You can get free ice water anywhere they sell drinks. So this will help with everyone staying hydrated.

You are a great mom.

I'am sure you all will do fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter