Universal with a Disney Palate Cleanser

dark54555

Mouseketeer
Long time reader, first time trip reporter. So here we go. This is going to be text heavy.

Original plan was to do nothing in particular on arrival day, 2 days at Universal (checking out at Universal on the second day and checking in at Disney the same day), then 2 days at Disney with my wife and son (5). We arrived with no problems and were checked in just before 4 pm on Sunday, 4/26/15...so I called an audible. Head for Universal that day, add an extra day at Disney in the middle. A little on our traveling party:
Me - 5th WDW trip; 4 trips to Disneyland, 2 to Disney Tokyo, 1 to Disney Paris (once previous to Universal Orlando, twice to Universal CA)
Wife - 3rd trip to WDW; 2 trips to Disneyland (one trip to universal CA)
Son - 1 trip to Disneyland (age 4)

Last WDW trip for the wife and I was our honeymoon in 2007.

A word on Universal lodging: we were at the Royal Pacific, in a room that hadn't yet been updated. I'm just going to say, this place needs the update. The beds were awful. The pillows were awful. I've been in budget hotels with nicer furnishings. You can hear hallway noise like the door is open. Hopefully the refurbed rooms fix these problems, but yuck. Slept there 2 nights, didn't get one good night's sleep.

Anyway, headed to Universal Studios. With the Express Pass (and a relatively short line of 45 min at Gringotts), managed to do everything in the park once between 4 pm and close (excluding Beetlejuice and Animal Actors and Terminator, which no one in the party really wanted to do). The Simpsons area was nicely done, but certainly left me wishing they had added more. And the Simpsons Ride (which I rode 6 years ago in California) is starting to show its age. Daigon Alley is also really nicely done, but I constantly got the feeling that it was 75% of what Disney could do with the same concept. A lot of the staff was into it, but quite a few weren't. Some were on their cell phones while working (though not as many as in the other parts of the park). Even with a low crowd, there was a decent line for every magic wand spot. We had dinner at the Leaky Cauldron. The fish and chips were surprisingly good, as was the Dragon Scale. Butterbeer was a bit sweet for my tastes. We also had a late evening donut and drinks at Duff Gardens. The Duff was also quite good, as was the Flaming Moe. The Buzz Cola was OK, and the Mr. Teeny was nothing to write home about.

Other attraction thoughts:
-MIB scoring was really confusing. I still don't understand it. My son scored over 300k the first time, and no one knows how. No one even came close to that on subsequent rides.
-Minion mayhem was fun. But the whole Universal simulator ride formula hadn't sunk in yet. After Transformers, Spiderman, and the Harry Potters...it's painfully obvious there's a formula to all of their rides with only minor deviation.
-ET hasn't changed. At all. In decades.
-There's just not much to do at this park. Especially if you compare it to the Magic Kingdom. And the draw to ride things multiple times just isn't as strong as Disney anything.

Day 2...
Early admission to Islands. Managed to clear the entire park (do every non-water ride) by noon. None of us like getting soaked, so we grabbed the Hogwarts Express over for lunch in Simpsons land. The chicken and waffle sandwich was pretty good. Tried Duff Lite and Duff Dry; original Duff is the best of the bunch. Re-rode what the kiddo wanted, took the train back, and decided to head back for a rest at the hotel at 3. We had a reservation at Lombards at 6, but no one wanted to go ride anything again, so we went to Bubba Gump at Citywalk instead of going back to the park. Went back, packed, called Disney to add an extra day to our tickets, called it a night. This was a low point; the wife was giving me a hard time for even planning this trip.

Further attraction thoughts:
-The locker system is awful. And it's only made worse by the cretins who can't seem to figure it out. The only coaster we didn't ride was Hulk, and it was entirely because the lockers there were a nightmare. We would have had to child swap it anyway, the the fact that they no longer let the child swappers avoid the lockers is nonsensical. It would reduce the mess around the lockers. Or, if they are still doing it, the staff at neither Hulk nor Dragon Challenge would let us leave the backpack with the child swap non-rider.
-The Hogwarts Express was nice and well done. But my 5 year old could tell he was looking at a screen as soon as we sat down. He couldn't figure out any Disney imagineering tricks that quickly.
-Only after visiting Disney did I full appreciate how much better the Magic Band and Memory Maker systems are than any competitor's offerings.

Things take a turn for the better on Day 3.

Downstairs and in the car by 8:15 to head to Disney. Nice that the Royal Pacific had towncars/suburbans on hand, but not sure if the $50 one way was a decent deal or not. Likely not. Had done the pre-check in for the Beach Club, so we were greeted with an iPad at the drive through. That greeting came with a pleasant surprise: upgrade to the club level.

We were taken up to 5, and the check-in was quick and easy, as was the walkthrough of the club level offerings. Let me say now: the concierge there was one of the best I've dealt with worldwide, even putting the Ritz Carlton to shame. The Imperial in Tokyo is a close second to the service here. The room wouldn't be ready anytime soon, so we made a quick exit for Epcot, which had only just opened (and was practically empty due to morning rain). Started with Imagination, which made me sorely miss the old, original Imagination. I'm hoping a refurb with some sanity is in the works...like bringing back an update of the old ride. Managed to hit Soarin and the Land before lunch in the Land pavillion. The food court there is still great, and appreciate a health menu. Knowing we only had a day (and a 5 year old's attention span), we planned to try to only hit the highlights. Got through Nemo, Turtle Talk, and Mission Space before doing one of the Agent P missions in Mexico. The new smartphones are a welcome improvement. After a quick snack in Norway, we managed to circle back to Spaceship Earth (I miss the Walter Cronkite version) and Test Track (which I prefer the updated version of to the original) on Fastpasses before picking up another Test Track fastpass. One plus of traveling with just a boy: avoiding all of the Frozen stuff. Quick walk through the World Showcase (kiddo liked the store in Japan and the Mexico ride).

Anyway, ADR for dinner at Coral Reef. I've eaten there every trip to Disney World. In the 90s, it was exceptional. Now...sad face. Can Disney please try to do something to restore this to its former glory? The fish was massively overcooked, and the service was just bad. My son got a kids menu that was already colored on, and it took over 10 minutes for them to bring a replacement. They were out of some of the craft beers, and the waitress seemed to be on a script she couldn't deviate from without being confused. Oh, and out of the light up Buzz cup things...got a McQueen instead.

The kiddo couldn't quite make it to Illuminations, so we walked back to finally get into the room, with some desserts and drinks from the club. We had a great view of the Boardwalk and what I assume was the Illuminations fireworks coming over the top.

...realizing this is really long, to be continued in the next post.

Last edited:
So, we finally got the room. The Beach Club updates are, in a few words, long overdue and really well done. I stayed there a couple times in the 1990s, and from the looks of the before pictures, before the rehab, little had changed since then. The rooms now certainly fit the bill for a Deluxe Disney resort. I'll be interested to see how the refurbs at the Swan/Dolphin compare. We had Room 5661, which is about dead center over the lobby. Great view, great balcony. The club level desserts were a great assortment of small bites. And the I-4 IPA was pretty good (hadn't had it before, it was the "signature" local beer offering).

Day 4

Magic Kingdom. 8:10 Be Our Guest ADR. Bus didn't show at the Beach Club until 7:30, but we still made it in plenty of time. Got a table in the Rose Gallery; the lightning effect on the painting was a big hit with the kiddo. The breakfast food was good; I got the meat and bread platter (dairy free), which also came with the "allergen free" breads, which I thought were better than the other pastries. Wife got the egg whites, which she enjoyed, and kiddo got the french toast, which was quickly devoured. We had pre-ordered, but the pre-order was lost (?), so we had to order again on site. Not a big deal. Got out of breakfast at about 8:45, and they let us and the few others coming out hop on the Mine Train pre-opening. We got two rides in before the park officially opened at 9. Great new ride, if a bit short.

In the interest of not repeating Epcot's summary, we hit a ton of rides. End of the day, we had managed to get the Mine Train 4 times (twice before opening, one Fastpass+, and one "universal fastpass;" more on that below), Space Mountain 3 times (the kiddo likes thrill rides, in case that isn't obvious), Haunted Mansion 3 times, Buzz twice (and I FINALLY hit Galactic Hero), and most everything else once, except Pooh and The Little Mermaid (which the Kiddo didn't have an interest in) and Enchanted Tales with Belle (ditto). Oh, and skipped Splash Mountain because no wet rides. Jungle Cruise and Thunder Mountain were closed, which saved some time, too. Lunch was in Tomorrowland (the one with the three counters whose name I can never remember) and had a mid-afternoon Dole whip float.

So, about that "universal fastpass." We waited in line for the Dumbos. Kiddo is big, so the three of us wouldn't fit in one. They allotted us two. Gates open, my wife and kiddo get in one, I'm waiting to get in the one behind them while the previous folks get out. Some guy runs up and throws his kid in the Dumbo I'm standing next to. Walk around; no Dumbos open. So I tell the cast member they're a Dumbo short, and I'm going to exit the ride. He apologizes, offers to let me on the next one (which I decline, because it's not that big a deal). As the ride ends, he runs over with a notepad and fills out a voucher good for one fastpass for the party on any ride in the park. I've never seen one before, but glad to have it. The obvious use was the mine train.

Dinner was at the California Grill, which was excellent as always. I think the waiter we had may have been the best I've ever had at any Disney restaurant. The food and view were both great, and they had the beer that Coral Reef was out of. I will say, I was sad to not see the black cod with duck raviloi I had last time, but the ahi tuna was excellent. Did we stay in the park or come back to the California Grill for Wishes? Sadly, no. The kiddo was just too wiped after the early morning, so we headed back, getting to the Beach Club about 9:30, or just in time to grab desserts in the club again.

Day 5 - Hollywood Studios
If I could rearrange the days, this wasn't the high note to go out on. Little guy loved Rockin Roller Coaster (and at 5, being tall enough for it was also fairly remarkable) and Tower of Terror. He rode both 4 times. Star Tours was still a hit, as was Muppet Vision and Toy Story Mania (all of which we did at Disneyland). And Fantasmic was great; loved the updates from the 2007 show and really loved that the Dinner Package seats were much better than they were then. Got invited to test a new advance ordering app on the iPhone, but we didn't see anything we really wanted.

The Great Movie Ride was not a hit. It's really starting to show its age, and the cast members we had were just not very good. It also seems like they've really toned a lot of it down from the last time I rode (the late 90s...it was closed in 2007 when we were there).

Dining was also not so great. Did lunch at Mama Melrose's for the Fantasmic fastpasses. It's not nearly as good as it was in the 1990s, and honestly, not sure I'd dine there but for the fastpasses. I also experienced the most un-Disney service moment I can recall at any park, ever. Before the main course came, my son accidentally knocked over a glass of water. Our waitress, along with 3-4 others all saw this happen. We were quickly moving with the napkins we had at the table to mop up, and not one of the staff helped. In fact, when out waitress eventually came back to the table (after leaving the room), she took the wet napkins but didn't bother to bring replacements. We had to ask for them on her next trip to the table.

We had dinner later at the Sci-Fi Dine In, whose menu has also deteriorated from the 1990s. The venue is still fun (even if the film is the same), but the service was also lacking. It seems like the cars need a little light indicating you need something (like many of the dine in theaters have).

We also tried to grab a drink to bring into Fantasmic...the fresh market near there was out of everything on the menu at 7:30. At least Fantasmic was great. My son really liked the wand that synced to to the show (he already had the color changing ears from World of Color).

Day 6 - Adios
Cape May Cafe breakfast, followed by hanging out in the club, since we couldn't get late checkout. Not much else to say here, other than Cape May seemed to have a better organized character rotation than the breakfast at the Disneyland hotel did. Oh, and we facetimed in our littler kiddo to say hi to Goofy, who was home with the grandparents for this trip. And Goofy was actually not shocked/thrown by this at all.

Final Thoughts:
-That in-progress Hollywood Studios work is long overdue. It's actually remarkable how few rides there are in that park compared to the others.
-EPCOT could also really use some attention. Just seems like Future World in particular has lost so much with either mediocre replacements (Imagination) or no replacements (Wonders of Life pavilion). I don't hold out any delusion that they'll rebuild Horizons or anything, but there seems like a lot of missed opportunities.
-Regardless of your take on the Frozen/Norway thing, a few new offerings in the World Showcase would be welcome, too. I've always felt like Japan needed an actual attraction. Yeah, other pavilions could be built based on space, but I think improving what's there may be an easier path forward.
-The magic band is excellent. It did go down for one afternoon while we were there, so its not bulletproof, but it's the best tech I've seen in any park. And it being tied to the photos (Memory Maker) was also great. We bought the disk when we went in 2007, but this was so much easier.
-New Fantasy Land was very well done. No complaints, and the Be Our Guest breakfast was great.
-Considering the updates we did see (hotel updates, new Fantasy Land, Magic Band), things seem to be moving in a great direction.
-Glad to see more Haunted Mansion merchandise. Also glad to see Phineas and Ferb were at Hollywood Studios. Now if only we could get Dipper and Mabel...
-Universal was fairly disappointing, all in all. Not sure I'd spend more than a day there in the future (especially with an express pass). Would largely depend on whether the kiddos become huge Harry Potter fans in the future. Or if they add more to Simpsons land...I might go back to see that.
-Our driver from the airport mentioned the Marvel license to Universal expiring in the coming years. Honestly, that would likely be best for all involved. Universal's use of the license is awful (a land covered with Rob Liefeld era art...ugh; and don't get me started on the strange villain roster for the Spider Man ride) and it has some obvious applications at Disney (Innoventions presented by Stark Industries? Thor Presents Norse Mythology in Norway? Entire Marvel space at Hollywood Studios?).
-MCO needs an Admiral's Club.
-Can't wait for the next Disney venture...probably fall 2017 when the littler kiddo turns 5, back to Disneyland.

Questions? Comments? Rude remarks?

Last edited:
One other comment/thought:

Based on the dining experiences, it seems like something may be up with the Disney server training. To be clear: we were not on a dining plan, meaning tipping was definitively something that should have been on the server's mind. Tipped over 20% at the California Grill. The others got a more standard 15 (Cape May I gave 18; server there was good, but didn't have to do as much). Seems to me like any dining, signature or not, that has table service should have good service given the costs. Maybe that's just me.

Universal is on the agenda for our next trip according to DS (age 9). I took note of your fair assessment of the park. Since you have visited the parks in CA, I certainly felt that you had solid comparisons to contrast Orlando parks. I appreciate constructive criticism as much as I enjoying sharing the magic. Thanks again.

It sounds like our trips overlapped. We were at RPR from April 25-28, and BWV from the 28th-May 1.
I totally agree that the hallway noise at RPR is awful! We had the neighbors from *@%*. They got home between 11:30 and 12 each night. The first night, we were awakened at midnight by the kid cheering (after running down the hall), "I beat Daddy..." Then there was the conversation between two parties about meeting in one room for coffee in the morning. The second night they got home around 11:30 and had a major discussion about which park they would visit in the morning, and it was going to be whatever the kids wanted since they'd done most everything and it was their last day... And then the coffee discussion again--And the last night we had Dad finally taking a little charge of the kids yelling and running in the hallway by screaming, "Stop yelling!! People are trying to sleep." Of course he was louder than the kids. Our room wasn't renovated either, although I didn't feel it was awful. We were glad we tried Uni, but I doubt we'll be back. I like Disney a lot more.

Universal is on the agenda for our next trip according to DS (age 9). I took note of your fair assessment of the park. Since you have visited the parks in CA, I certainly felt that you had solid comparisons to contrast Orlando parks. I appreciate constructive criticism as much as I enjoying sharing the magic. Thanks again.

If you've got any questions before you go, feel free to ask. Like I said, we did just about everything. If your DS likes Harry Potter and The Simpsons, he should have a good time.

It sounds like our trips overlapped. We were at RPR from April 25-28, and BWV from the 28th-May 1.
I totally agree that the hallway noise at RPR is awful! We had the neighbors from *@%*. They got home between 11:30 and 12 each night. The first night, we were awakened at midnight by the kid cheering (after running down the hall), "I beat Daddy..." Then there was the conversation between two parties about meeting in one room for coffee in the morning. The second night they got home around 11:30 and had a major discussion about which park they would visit in the morning, and it was going to be whatever the kids wanted since they'd done most everything and it was their last day... And then the coffee discussion again--And the last night we had Dad finally taking a little charge of the kids yelling and running in the hallway by screaming, "Stop yelling!! People are trying to sleep." Of course he was louder than the kids. Our room wasn't renovated either, although I didn't feel it was awful. We were glad we tried Uni, but I doubt we'll be back. I like Disney a lot more.

Sounds like we were there at the same time. We were in Tower 2 at RPR, 6th floor. Were you at the Universal parks on the 26th and 27th? I found it curious that the crowd was lighter on Sunday than it was on Monday, and couldn't ever quite put my finger on why.

Sounds like we were there at the same time. We were in Tower 2 at RPR, 6th floor. Were you at the Universal parks on the 26th and 27th? I found it curious that the crowd was lighter on Sunday than it was on Monday, and couldn't ever quite put my finger on why.
Yes-we did the parks Sunday and Monday. Sunday was fantastic. We did what we wanted to at IOA, then took HE to US. We took a break and went back to US after dinner. I had a 10 minute wait for Gringotts around 7:30, we watched the Animal show, and saw the make up show. We also spent time just walking around DA. Monday was good too, but not as good as Sunday! I just checked Touring Plans and saw that while they estimated crowd levels of 7, the actuals were 3.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter