Universal with a concussion

kdnmom

Mouseketeer
We are going to Universal this weekend to celebrate my to-be-12yo's birthday. My 13yo suffered a concussion a few days ago and it's looking like he won't be able to go on any rides this weekend (or at least not on any of the more strenuous rides). It is too late to cancel our hotel reservation, so we will be going regardless and can't postpone to a later date.

My question is, does anyone have any recommendations for lower-key rides/activities that would still be of interest to a 13yo boy? TIA!

Mini Golf in Citywalk is very good. Two sides, both fun.

Bowling in Cabana Bay might interest him.

Pool time?

It has to be by 6PM EST five days prior to arrival if it's just a regular reservation (not a package, or anything else) to cancel. In terms of changing your reservation without penalty I'm sure you can call the reservation line to ask if that is possible.

I think it might be best to save it for another time if it's possible without penalty. However, Minions and Shrek has non-moving seats. You can take him too all the shows. The most gentle ride I can think of other than the Carousel in Seussland in IOA is ET at US, but I think even those rides have warnings about people in those conditions shouldn't be riding.

Thanks, all. So, I am a doctor (pediatrician). I was thinking about rides like Pirates of the Caribbean at Disney that have themes that would interest a teen boy but are slow/smooth-moving... It's been a while since we've been to Universal and I didn't remember if there were those types of rides and/or if there were shows that would interest him. Minions and Shrek sound like possibilities. (Though I remember Minions moving - has that changed?) What about the new Fast and Furious thing? And is the Terminator show thing closed?

Sunday at 6pm was our cancellation without penalty time and we have no free weekends again until... I don't even know when. Bummer, but it is what it is.

Minions and Shrek has non-moving seats in the front row. If anything you can ask a TM once it's your turn to go inside the building and they will direct you where to go.

All I can think of is ET being the closest thing to something a teen boy that would be interesting that is smoothest and is gentle other than shows. All I can think of is the stop at the end of the ride to get off that would be a sudden stop. I wouldn't recommend anything else, as the rest are roller coasters, spinning rides, or simulators. Some simulators are smoother than others, but still make sudden twists, turns, and dramatic movements regardless. If JP didn't have a dramatic drop at the end of it that would be a good ride as well. However, Twirl and Hurl goes in circles, but doesn't go too fast.

If you want to judge for yourself on what they might be like you can also watch YouTube videos to see ET and Twirl and Hurl in action to see what you think.

I don't want to speculate too much on what rides you would approve of for a concussion, but I do have a teen boy who can't handle movement rides for other reasons.

If you have Harry Potter fans, there's lots to enjoy in those areas without riding the rides. Three Broomsticks, ice cream, the joke shop and the candy shop, creepy details, and of course the interactive wands. My son also likes the theming in Jurassic Park, and walking through the play area, but I don't know if that would be safe or too tempting to play tag?

Poseidon's Fury is a walk-through attraction. My son also liked the Raptor Encounter just to laugh at how much I panicked. Also, the Fear Factor show and the Horror Make-up show might be appealing. I think that Terminator is closed.

Fast and the Furious feels pretty tame. Really, King Kong does too. But I don't remember if there are sudden stops. Maybe you could ride first and test them out?

My son likes the Seuss trolley, but we're big Seuss fans. I don't know if the One Fish, Two Fish would be tame enough, but getting sprayed is fun at any age. What about standing in splash zones or use the water guns to hit people on rides or in the Jurassic area?

Special treats like the Simpson's donuts might be fun. What about a Scavenger Hunt to find certain details (that you could find in photos online ahead of time), with each kid competing to find the things and take photos?

Fast and the Furious feels pretty tame. Really, King Kong does too. But I don't remember if there are sudden stops. Maybe you could ride first and test them out?

Agreed with everything you said, but those rides I wouldn't personally suggest. However, your suggestion of riding them first is still a good idea. While they are tame compared to other simulator type of rides they do have a little back and forth movement and have sudden stops.

Also, unfortunately Terminator is closed as you said. Which is a bummer since that would be a great show probably for the OP's son. I miss T2 a lot.

Honestly I'd avoid any rides. If there's an abrupt shutdown for any reason, it could be bad. Motionless seats for Minions and Shrek, as well as any shows, would be fine, but I wouldn't chance anything else with a concussion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter