Universal Restaurants questions...

acarsme123

DIS Veteran
Hello,
Since this is going to be our first time to Universal next March, can some of you veterans of Universal tell me some of the better places to eat both inside the parks, Citywalk, and at the Hotels? We will be there for 3 nights and we are staying at the Royal Pacific.
My initial thoughts just based on menus and reviews were definitely trying out Vivo Italian. Toothsome looks interesting, but seems like reviews are kinda mixed. Seems great for dessert options, but I'm not sure about dinner. Anitjitos sounds interesting as well as Bigfire. Cowfish has peaked my interest too. I'd also like to maybe try one of the Harry Potter restaurants for lunch just to say I did it, though I'm not super big into British food.

I also have a question about reservations. Are they generally needed at Universal for most of the restaurants? I'm used to having to make them for Disney, that's why I ask. If so, how far out do you need to make them? I also thought I read about restaurants giving priority seating for on-site guests. If that's true, does that eliminate the need to make reservations?

I appreciate any thoughts and guidance. I have a lot of anxiety about planning this trip for some reason. We've done DisneyWorld twice now and I feel like an expert on that place practically, but this one has given me the jitters all over again cause it's a big unknown to us.

Sorry all, I just realized I kinda asked this same question in a longer thread awhile back. Sorry for the repeat. A little scatter brained tonight!

I wouldn't worry about the Potter restaurants being British if you don't like that kind of food...….I don't recognise much of it as being British.....Cornish pasty with salad isn't British! Lamb and beef I have never seen in a dish together! It`s a very Americanised version of British food.....we do actually serve some really nice food over here. Just not the Potter version. We tried the fish and chips....it wasn't UK style fish and chips.....it was potato wedges?? The fish was actually quite nice though.

We never make reservations except for upscale restaurants that are must do visits for us......but the same day or day before. We were there last March for Mardi Gras and didn't need any.

Vivo and Cowfish we love. Toothsome is not for us at all. Too many bad reports and we didn't enjoy the food we had there.

Bubba Gumps don`t offer priority seating, but we won`t eat there again as we thought it was dreadful. Most places do and it can bring the wait down quite a lot. Our Margaritaville wait went from 90 minutes to just over 10. But that is rare. We`ve never waited long anywhere.

We did plan to go to Big Fire, but people who`s opinion we trust didn't have many good things to say about it, so we passed. But there seems to be some folks who do enjoy it.

Sal`s pizza at Portofino is excellent, probably the best onsite pizza there is.

Royal Pacific has four great options.

Jake`s American Bar is fabulous as is Islands Dining Room, Orchids Sushi and the Bula Bar by the pool are all excellent.

Please don`t fret about it. It`ll be fine.....

If you want a higher end, date night type of place, I highly recommend The Palm at HRH also. The food is excellent though pricey.

Yes I would love to eat at The Palm. I’m sure my son would like it to, cause he likes steak! Just not sure it’s in the cards this trip. Probably will just be sticking to Citywalk restaurants most likely. But I’ll keep it in mind

I like eating at the Hard Rock and both Harry Potter restaurants. Also Mythos was pretty good.

I agree that HP restaurants aren’t ‘British’ food. No Englishman would ever eat a croissant with a ‘full English’ breakfast😂. I thought Anitjitos was awful. My son found a hair in his food which didn’t help my impression. Hard Rock is the same the world over, Bubba Gump okay (and better than the London version). The Cow fish version of sushi etc is very peculiar. Big Fire was okay. Bob Marley soso. The best food we had was probably at the pool bar at HRH. We had a nice lobster roll at Lombards Seafood.

I think everyone just about covered it. I only wanted to add another thing about the HP food.

For the HP stuff if you're really that worried, I wanted to add one more specific detail, The Three Broomsticks is the one that is very "American", where as the Leaky Cauldron has having more of the "British" options. As @schumigirl and other said, you still shouldn't worry as it is not extremely traditional British food, but they do have some British inspired meals. At least that is how I would put it. The Three Broomsticks is also known for their big portions and their chicken and ribs. Also, both places have breakfast. Once again The Three Broomsticks is "American", where as The Leaky Cauldron has "British" inspired breakfasts. However, you should be able to find something you like at both. However, The Three Broomsticks is my personal favorite, not only, because I like their variety, but the fact that the Hogs Head is attached to it and I like to watch the AA Hog's Head while I get a drink.

Last edited:
I agree that HP restaurants aren’t ‘British’ food. No Englishman would ever eat a croissant with a ‘full English’ breakfast😂. I thought Anitjitos was awful. My son found a hair in his food which didn’t help my impression. Hard Rock is the same the world over, Bubba Gump okay (and better than the London version). The Cow fish version of sushi etc is very peculiar. Big Fire was okay. Bob Marley soso. The best food we had was probably at the pool bar at HRH. We had a nice lobster roll at Lombards Seafood.

Absolutely...….never seen anything like those breakfasts in the UK!!! It`s a shame people think these restaurants are what we eat in the UK......

And no "real" bacon....... 😊

Although I do enjoy American bacon.......but wouldn`t eat in those restaurants.

Toothsome Chocolate Emporium was actually quite good for lunch and the portions were so big, we ended up sharing. It's definitely a plus for desserts, but salads and pizza options were what we shared and even the pickiest eaters at the table didn't complain.

Our must do every trip is NBC Grill and bar-I've had something different every time and enjoyed them all. Margaritaville and Bubba Gump are kinda basic but OK; if you are a Landry's member you do get priority seating Bubba Gump-we are and I had a gift card from CC points so ate there past trip. Can't beat free food lol-but I thought it had improved from a few years previously as well. Toothsome was a one and one. Desserts great, food meh (and this was soon after it opened). Loved Antijitos though. Pat O'briens we won't repeat (We did it on a passholder special).
Cowfish is ok if you avoid the sushi (agree it is peculiar and my son who loves sushi didn't like it at all).
We aren't picky eaters but we do like stuff other than just burgers.
Amatista in Sapphire Falls was really good and worth a lovely boat ride over (the restaurant is close to the boat dock).

IOA: This past trip we tried Mythos again-much improved service experience for us and food is pretty good-they do refresh menu periodically
Confisco's-we all like this place as it has pretty good variety, and rarely is there a wait longer than 10-15 minutes-we went over Christmas week last year and they told us 25 minutes-barely had time to grab a drink from Backwater Jacks before table ready!
USF: We like both Lombards (seafood-their lobster roll was pretty good) and Finnegans but not everyone cares for these.
Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter