Universal Newbie- anyone good with using Touring Plans? Please help!

Having Express Pass, I'd say 'loosely' schedule your first day because you can skip the line on any ride. So if you want to do something again or take a break or skip a 3D screen ride (after too many in a row some do get nauseous) and watch a show. Then on the 2nd day, hit up things you missed or must do a gain. Definitely take advantage of the early hours. The only rides that don't use express pass right now I believe at the Pteranadon flyers and Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure . Hagrid's is the one you want to prioritize as #1 overall (if it's actually running!).

Honestly, one of the best things about UOR is that you don't need to do any major "planning" - especially if you are staying onsite. We have never been to Early Entry (must sleep in on vacation!!) and never used a Touring Plan and just love it!

Having said that, if you really want to ensure you get all the WWHP stuff in, here is a (slightly out-of-date - no "Hagrid's ride) WWHP-only "Touring Plan" to try out - https://orlandoinformer.com/universal/harry-potter-world-plan/

Touring plans is worthless at Uni when you have express pass. Take everyone’s advice and ditch that plan. You definitely don’t want to start at minions. That’s for people who will have an hour or more wait later in the day without express. If you only have a few days enjoy the smaller crowds in Diagon Alley during ee then move at your leisure around the park. No itinerary needed at all.

Thanks for all the helpful advice! Our plan will be to hit Ollivander's and Gringott's...then explore Diagon Alley at leisure before heading off to do some of the other rides at USO listed in the TP (so we don't miss anything), then we will head over to IOA and do Hogsmeade, etc. You guys have NO IDEA how much better I feel after reading all the comments here!

Thanks for all the helpful advice! Our plan will be to hit Ollivander's and Gringott's...then explore Diagon Alley at leisure before heading off to do some of the other rides at USO listed in the TP (so we don't miss anything), then we will head over to IOA and do Hogsmeade, etc. You guys have NO IDEA how much better I feel after reading all the comments here!

Be sure to come back and tell us how it goes.

My best guess is they mean if you're in UO for early entry and ride the HE over to Islands you're in the HP lands ahead of main entrance guests. the HP lands in both parks are clear at the back of the park. It's a brisk walk (or not so brisk in summer heat) to the back and it takes main entrance guests a bit to get back there. If you're already in UO and hop the train to Islands you "beat" the crowds. Along with the others who also ride the train, so you do bring part of the crowd with you when you go.

I thought HE didn't open until 9am when the regular crowds are allowed in?

Often, we'd be standing somewhere figuring out where to go next and I'd check the ap and say x has a minute wait, lets go do that. Our touring plan became what has the lowest wait.

This is often our strategy at WDW, LOL! I make all the FP's and spend so much time creating a TP, then completely ignore it depending on which rides have the shortest wait. I was kind of hoping to give TP a fair shot during this part of our trip, but it seems I may not even need to do that. It's hard to do with Disney, so I figured I would give it a shot for once with Universal. Seems like I'll be doing what I usually do and just use it as a guide.

RE: HE (or Hogwarts express just to be sure we mean the same thing). We did not ride it, so I do not know this first hand, but there were people in line to ride it at 8:45 when Islands opened at 9 which leads me to believe that you could get on and ride it a tad earlier than when the park opens. Like within a 5-10 minute mark. Now I could be wrong on this, and they may not open the ride until 9 but even then it's a 3-4 minute ride at most which means you're still IN the Potter areas of the park before everyone at the front gate is.

I would start in the park with early entry, usually Diagon Alley. Ride Gringots then enjoy Diagon Alley before the unwashed hordes arrive. At 9:00 hop on the train to get to Hogsmeade. Since it’s at the back of the park it won’t be too crowded yet. I’d then explore Islands of Adventure.
The following day explore more of Universal Studios. You can hop back and forth between parks of course.
I like the Orlando Informer touring plans. And they have extensive write up on the parks.
Don’t forget to ride Hogwarts Express both ways. It’s different each direction.

As far as Gringott's vs. Ollivander's during EE - which do you guys recommend I should do first? Heard Ollivander's gets crowded fast...

Touring plans is worthless at Uni when you have express pass. Take everyone’s advice and ditch that plan. You definitely don’t want to start at minions. That’s for people who will have an hour or more wait later in the day without express. If you only have a few days enjoy the smaller crowds in Diagon Alley during ee then move at your leisure around the park. No itinerary needed at all.

This!!! :thumbsup2

OhanaMomma…...

I missed you had EP with staying at RP...….(good choice by the way)

You don't need a plan...….familiarise yourself with the park layout, decide what you and your family do want to ride and work around that......you don't need to go zig zagging around unless you want to repeat anything again......

EP gives you freedom to do what you like when you like...….please don't do a minute by minute plan for the day....you really don't need to do that...….

Can`t help you with whether to do Gringotts or Ollivanders first, as in all our stays we have never once made EE as we just don't need to with EP.

Hope you have a great trip!!!

This is our normal plan:

Go to Breakfast
Go to Park
Go to Lunch
Go for Swim
Go for Drinks 1
Go to Park
Go to Dinner
Go for Drinks 2
Go for Dessert

Which park, which rides, which pool and which restaurant ... and which order the steps are taken in ... are typically decided at the step prior depending what we're in the mood for at that moment.

This is our normal plan:

Go to Breakfast
Go to Park
Go to Lunch
Go for Swim
Go for Drinks 1
Go to Park
Go to Dinner
Go for Drinks 2
Go for Dessert

Which park, which rides, which pool and which restaurant ... and which order the steps are taken in ... are typically decided at the step prior depending what we're in the mood for at that moment.
So I’m loving this plan and I totally “get it” as far as Universal is concerned. I’m not going to use the TP as anything other than a guide so I don’t miss anything. I definitely want to hit all the HP rides.
My next question is...where does one go for said Drinks 1-2? LOL! Or should I save that for a new post?
You’ve all been so helpful. I do appreciate the honest input. Seriously great group of people on here! Thank you all!

Last edited:
So I’m loving this plan and I totally “get it” as far as Universal is concerned. I’m not going to use the TP as anything other than a guide so I don’t miss anything. I definitely want to hit all the HP rides.
My next question is...where does one go for said Drinks 1-2? Or should I save that for a new post?
You’ve all been so helpful. I do appreciate the honest input. Seriously great group of people on here! Thank you all!

I suggest you make a new thread for that question.

The topic when you started this thread is about touring plans.
Your new question you need help on is about the drinks.

If someone is skimming through the boards, they may have already read and moved on.

A new thread topic would be a good thing.
Drinks, food

I suggest you make a new thread for that question.

The topic when you started this thread is about touring plans.
Your new question you need help on is about the drinks.

If someone is skimming through the boards, they may have already read and moved on.

A new thread topic would be a good thing.
Drinks, food
LOL - I was *mostly* kidding about the drinks (not really, I have 2 girls lol) but now that you mention it, I am going to search the forums for more food and drink info and see what I learn and perhaps start my own thread. Love researching!!! Thanks again!!!!

Just my opinion, but as far as the Gringotts/Ollivanders decision goes, I would do Ollivanders first. It's a small store and they only let 15 or so guests into the "Wand Chooses the Wizard" show at a time. The show lasts about 10 minutes, then everyone crowds into the wand store, which progressively gets more and more crowded since people browse through the dozens of different wands, and then get in the line if they're purchasing. As the waits lengthen for the show, the line ends up outside the store. And the Ollivanders in Diagon Alley is bigger than the one over in Hogsmeade.

Also, if you're thinking of purchasing wands, you definitely can skip the crunch at Ollivanders and visit Gregorovitch's Wand Shop in Diagon Alley near the Owlery and the Hopping Pot. There are also several outdoor carts selling wands. You can also buy them at any of the big Universal stores at the entrance of the parks and at City Walk. But if you have your heart set on buying a wand from the actual Ollivanders store, I'd do that early.

Gringotts with express pass isn't too bad and there's lots to see on the way to the ride. You have to put your stuff into the lockers to the right of the entrance first, then enter the bank.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter