Universal needs a mascot

Pumbaa_

>Hakuna Matata!<
im at Disney this week and I want to buy everything I see. Mickey is cute, so are all his pals

I want Universal to have a mascot! I want to buy more stuff that is universal themed but not a specific movie/section themed.

I know the wizarding world has exploded and happy to spend my money there. I have a big pink donut, some minions, and then I falter.

I have a universal zip sweatshirt that is boring. I want to give them my money but there is nothing that falls into the category of what I want. Does that make any sense?

im at Disney this week and I want to buy everything I see. Mickey is cute, so are all his pals

I want Universal to have a mascot! I want to buy more stuff that is universal themed but not a specific movie/section themed.

I know the wizarding world has exploded and happy to spend my money there. I have a big pink donut, some minions, and then I falter.

I have a universal zip sweatshirt that is boring. I want to give them my money but there is nothing that falls into the category of what I want. Does that make any sense?

I second this!!! I would love to have park specific stuff and not just IP merch.

I think gets to the heart of Disney vs. Universal (this isn't about making it a competition. Both parks are equally wonderful in thier own unqiue way). Mickey Mouse had been big since the 1930s so by the time the Disney parks were established, Mickey Mouse was already the emblem of Disney. Universal Studios at it's start didn't have that kind of major iconic character.

Disney is very much about history/heritage and trying to honor the old. Universal has never had that strong tie to its history. Universal is all about chasing the new and showcasing the modern.

I don't think its in Universal's DNA to have a mascot. Having something artifical pushed onto people wouldn't work. For it to become a hit, it would need to happen organically. The only thing I can think for Universal would be a Globe with arms, legs, and eyes.

No. Universal is NOT Disney. (I have some Disney T-shirts and a few household ornaments, but am not into buying a lot of junk at this stage of my life.)

I went a little crazy in the airport store. I am now the proud owner of a niffler, new T-shirt, blanket, bag, Bertie bott beans, random chocolate bars and a tote bag. Plus 2 stuffed animals from pets life for the dogs. I missed universal

The used to have Woody Woodpecker dressed as a tourist. I’m pretty sure I still have one somewhere. That and the bear with a Universal t shirt.

I went a little crazy in the airport store. I am now the proud owner of a niffler, new T-shirt, blanket, bag, Bertie bott beans, random chocolate bars and a tote bag. Plus 2 stuffed animals from pets life for the dogs. I missed universal

I can't seem to find a price on-line so I thought I'd ask you since it seems as though you purchased one. How much are the stuffed nifflers? Thank you for your time.

20ish I believe. They had babies for $16

Updated, I checked my niffler, it was $28. I was a little crazy I think lol

Last edited:
Slightly OT, sorry. On a history of Disney Land video the story of a park mascot was interesting. Walt did not want to taint Mickey if the park was a flop, so he chose a third-tier character to represent. That was Tinkerbell. If the park failed, the movie division would be cleanly separated from the damage. Good thinking, but not needed now that we know the rest.

Not only do they not have a character icon, theres really no structure icon either. MK has the castle, HS the theater, AK the tree, Epcot the ball, DL the castle, CA the...restuant thing? Forget what its called. Theres nothing to grab your attention when you walk into IoA or Universal.

Not only do they not have a character icon, theres really no structure icon either. MK has the castle, HS the theater, AK the tree, Epcot the ball, DL the castle, CA the...restuant thing? Forget what its called. Theres nothing to grab your attention when you walk into IoA or Universal.

IOA:
upload_2018-11-14_10-38-14.png

Studios:
upload_2018-11-14_10-39-6.png

Volcano Bay has the volcano

Just because Universal doesn't exactly have the same exact thing as Disney doesn't mean they don't have something.

I know about those, I’m a local passholder. The globe is pretty neat, but neither of those are in the parks. There’s nothing that draws you in as you walk in the gate. You see minions and shrek as you walk into Universal, and a bunch of stores and the distant lake as you walk into IoA.

I can see where the OP is coming from, but I for one appreciate the differences. Those differences help make each property unique and standalone from the other. Because of those differences, I enjoy both properties for different reasons.

I know about those, I’m a local passholder. The globe is pretty neat, but neither of those are in the parks. There’s nothing that draws you in as you walk in the gate. You see minions and shrek as you walk into Universal, and a bunch of stores and the distant lake as you walk into IoA.
That's just your opinion on the matter which is totally fine but that's not a fact.

Your original quote was "theres really no structure icon either" and "Theres nothing to grab your attention when you walk into IoA or Universal". There most certaintly is a structure icon and something to grab your attention as you enter Universal but perhaps to you it's not interesting enough. Doesn't meant it isn't there.

I'm sure there are people out there that don't really think the castle in MK, the theater in DHS, the tree in AK, Spaceship Earth in Epcot and the castle in DLR are all that interesting either to them either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!