Universal Christmas shows parades etc.

Janet McDonald

DisneyMom
Is there a thread where the times of the Christmas activities at Universal are posted? We are going for one day on our Disney trip Dec 17 and wanting an idea so I can plan the day as best as possible. Really interested in seeing the projection show at Harry Potter and the Maceys parade.

This thread was talking about it:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/2017-holiday-events-start-11-18-this-year.3630977/

The Hogwarts projection show starts at dusk and repeats every 20 minutes (it's 6 minutes long). Yesterday was the first day, it was CROWDED. Best places to view is by the snowman/frog chior stage, but the bridge works ok too. It did thin out slightly toward close.

Now - Dec 17, the parade starts at 5:30pm (Some places have it listed as 5pm, but it's 5:30!) The best place to view is by the big Christmas tree in the New York section of the park. (Near mummy) From Dec 18th until Jan 6th it's at 8PM. You are going the day before it typically gets extremely crowded, but it will still be packed. I'd get a spot probably 30-45 minutes before the parade starts. It starts by Mel's so it's toward the end of the run, but Santa stops to light up the Christmas tree there in the New York (and thematically it fits better there).

Grinchmas aka "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" show goes on (entrance is next to One Firsh Two Fish) 10:45am, 11:45am, 12:45, 1:45, 3:30, 4:30 and 5:30 and 6:30 For the day you are there, get there at least a half hour before the show starts, it usually fills up.

The other Christmas shows: Frog Choir in Hogsmeade, Celestina Warbeck in Diagon Alley, the Blues Brothers Christmas and Barney Christmas (This one has Frosty the Snowman too) all vary.

Mannheim Steamroller concert is at 7pm at the big stage by Rip Ride Rockit, Dec 17 is the last day of the concert too.

Show times are posted here (Usually, it'll update for later dates as it gets closer)
https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/plan-your-visit/hours-information/show-times/index.html

There's a LOT of Christmas stuff at Universal this year by an order of magnitude more from prior years, it would be hard to do it all in a day. (And that's not even counting regular rides, etc)

Last edited:
The Hogwarts projection show starts at dusk and repeats every 20 minutes (it's 6 minutes long). Yesterday was the first day, it was CROWDED. Best places to view is by the snowman/frog chior stage, but the bridge works ok too. It did thin out slightly toward close.

Agree on the crowds. We were there Saturday for the first one (6:00, actually started about 6:10 or so). VERY crowded. We were back by Olivander's. It's a good show, but very short. Hard to get out of there once it was over.

This thread was talking about it:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/2017-holiday-events-start-11-18-this-year.3630977/

Now - Dec 17, the parade starts at 5:30pm (Some places have it listed as 5pm, but it's 5:30!) The best place to view is by the big Christmas tree in the New York section of the park. (Near mummy) From Dec 18th until Jan 6th it's at 8PM. You are going the day before it typically gets extremely crowded, but it will still be packed. I'd get a spot probably 30-45 minutes before the parade starts. It starts by Mel's so it's toward the end of the run, but Santa stops to light up the Christmas tree there in the New York (and thematically it fits better there).

Grinchmas aka "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" show goes on (entrance is next to One Firsh Two Fish) 10:45am, 11:45am, 12:45, 1:45, 3:30, 4:30 and 5:30 and 6:30 For the day you are there, get there at least a half hour before the show starts, it usually fills up.

The other Christmas shows: Frog Choir in Hogsmeade, Celestina Warbeck in Diagon Alley, the Blues Brothers Christmas and Barney Christmas (This one has Frosty the Snowman too) all vary.

Mannheim Steamroller concert is at 7pm at the big stage by Rip Ride Rockit, Dec 17 is the last day of the concert too.

Show times are posted here (Usually, it'll update for later dates as it gets closer)
https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/plan-your-visit/hours-information/show-times/index.html

There's a LOT of Christmas stuff at Universal this year by an order of magnitude more from prior years, it would be hard to do it all in a day. (And that's not even counting regular rides, etc)

I so much appreciate this great information! Thank you!!

For the light show in Hogsmeade, they are holding people back once the area by the castle is full, the hold back line is at Olivanders, once the show is over and the area next to the castle is cleared out, they let the next group of people in. While necessary let's just say it gets a little crazy especially with the people who have no idea what is going on ("what light show, I need to get through") and then they realize they are stuck. Some people got really upset/angry. Also, the left side of Hogsmeade on the way to the Hogwarts is reserved for exit only.

For the light show in Hogsmeade, they are holding people back once the area by the castle is full, the hold back line is at Olivanders, once the show is over and the area next to the castle is cleared out, they let the next group of people in. While necessary let's just say it gets a little crazy especially with the people who have no idea what is going on ("what light show, I need to get through") and then they realize they are stuck. Some people got really upset/angry. Also, the left side of Hogsmeade on the way to the Hogwarts is reserved for exit only.

They also keep a "lane" open for people attempting to go ride FJ and/or Hippogriff.

Question about Mannaheim Steamroller. From what I gather, it's standing only, right? Or do people sit on the ground? Should I bring something to sit on? Is there a place reserved for Express Pass holders? Thanks!:santa:

It is an open area with people sitting on the ground. I was there last night and a few few people had blankets. We sat on the fake grass and were fine. There were some people standing on the outside of the area. It was not too crowded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter