Universal 1 Day: Rest or Power through?

disneyinthespringtime

Mouseketeer
Looking for feedback on this scheduling question as I found this Board’s advice when we did Disney last year super helpful...:)

We followed the advice to take a mid day break most of the time when we did Disney last year; days we did not we were zonked by 4 or so.

This year we plan to do Universal - 1 day on 4/4 (2 Fridays before Easter; GradBash night so park closes at 6)

USF opens at 7 per TP forecasted times and it sounds like we should be at the gates by 6:30. We’ll be staying at RPR so would need to be out our door at 6:15 to make that.

Should we:
A) tour as much as we can until about 1/1:30 then come back to RPR pool for a break for a couple hours before returning until close to closing time at 6?
2) aim to stay and power through to 5?

Kids will be 8 and 12. DH hates crowds and has a back that bothers him when standing too much. This has me leaning toward option 1 given that I am not sure of anywhere we could take a break well in-park.

Thoughts?

You will have the free ep so use the express lines.
That will help you get more rides done

Are you planning to do the Potter section?

With the Express Pass I would stay in the Parks until you are finished for the day.

Choice #1 Sounds more exhausting to me.
Starting at 6am ish, going until 1pm, then going back to the hotel (there is some extra walking there) then swimming, then coming back to the parks.
That sounds way more exhausting than just staying at the parks and taking a long lunch and one or two afternoon snack breaks.

See what you feel like at lunch time. If you're feeling tired and you've accomplished most of what you wanted, head back for a break. If you're still feeling semi-peppy, have a nice leisurely lunch (even just a counter service, but sit down and dawdle while eating it, for an actual break). I find just taking even 30min really sitting and relaxing can be helpful enough to recharge for the afternoon. For all day, an hour lunch plus a sit down snack break or two are great pick-me-ups.

You will have the free ep so use the express lines.
That will help you get more rides done

Are you planning to do the Potter section?

Yes. That’s the main attraction for us. Anything else would just be extra - but there are at least a few “extras” we hope to do. :)

Normally, if I had a break mid-day it wouldn't consist of going to the pool for a couple of hours. Perhaps, it could be relaxing, especially if you plan just chilling by the pool, but if you plan on walking all that way and swim for a couple of hours that's still technically more activity rather than rest. However, for all I know your "mid-break" could have consisted of that last year and you said that's all you needed.

That being said, you don't have to necessarily go back and do all that for a break, especially since 6 is relatively early and you can easily do all that pool stuff when you go back, or rest.

I often do half days, or do a break mid-day if I'm staying on property, but if I do a half day I like to chill prior to going. I watch a show, or two, then have a nice meal at a table service place and just relax and digest my food, or if I'm with someone take time to chat. That can easily at the minimum, especially if you do two shows, can take two hours of your day. I even had places where if my dad was with me and wanted to nap I'd have hiding places somewhere so he could do that. :laughing:

I only recommend it since when I take mid-day breaks usually they're longer than a couple of hours, especially when you have to add in the time of walking/traveling from the park to the room and since you do not have that much time I would imagine time is the essence. You do need a break, however you don't have to leave to take that break. It's your decision, but just wanted to give you other ideas.

Need a break? Play at Camp Jurassic, see a show, have a sit down lunch at Mythos, or grab some refreshments on the patio at the Hogshead Inn.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter