Unique tips for Christmas/New Year’s at WDW

ebenmax

DIS Veteran
We are a family of WDW “veterans.” We are DVC members and AP holders (this year), so we are familiar with most of the “tricks of the trade” in WDW. However, we have never attempted the week following Christmas...the week before, but not after.
Our official dates are 12/29-1/4.
I was hoping to ask all of you for any unique suggestions that would help us this busy time of the year. It will be my 2 yr. old DGS’s first visit (only child guest) and the 5 adults in the group want to hit Star Wars.
We have a split stay at BCV and WL.

Thanks so much!

I made 3 table service reservations last time I did New Year’s Eve at Epcot, lunch, 4:00ish, and something later. It was a nice respite from the crowd. At the 4:00ish reservation, we ate apps and desserts as a snack.

For transportation issues, I would rather be at BCV for NYE versus WL. Then you can walk to your room if you are at Epcot, versus really fighting the crowds. With SWGE being new this year, it is hard to say what the best tips will be for that - but BC also gives you the option to walk to HS. MK has the same fireworks on the 30th as on the 31st, so if you want to see them, get a dessert party and do it then.

For transportation issues, I would rather be at BCV for NYE versus WL. Then you can walk to your room if you are at Epcot, versus really fighting the crowds. With SWGE being new this year, it is hard to say what the best tips will be for that - but BC also gives you the option to walk to HS. MK has the same fireworks on the 30th as on the 31st, so if you want to see them, get a dessert party and do it then.
Thank you for your thoughts and Yes! we booked BCV for New Year's Eve for that purpose. Now we are hoping the nightly show will be worth it since IllumiNations is ending.
How difficult is it to book a dessert party for the 30th? Do they do them for both fireworks showings or only the final one of the night? How far out do the dessert parties book? 180 days?

Thank you so much!

I made 3 table service reservations last time I did New Year’s Eve at Epcot, lunch, 4:00ish, and something later. It was a nice respite from the crowd. At the 4:00ish reservation, we ate apps and desserts as a snack.
That’s a great idea for breaks! We are staying at BCV so we were hoping to take a break in our room, but does Epcot ever hit capacity on New Year’s Eve? We were concerned we couldn’t get back in if we left the park.

We left early NYE. The noisemakers are awful!! I couldn’t stand it. New years day was empty till about 11-12 for us and the next few days (the weekend was over) was the slowest we ever have seen at WDW. I actually took a picture going back to safari ride in AK. NOBODY as far as you could see. We basically had the park to ourselves (this was pre Avatar though)

We left early NYE. The noisemakers are awful!! I couldn’t stand it. New years day was empty till about 11-12 for us and the next few days (the weekend was over) was the slowest we ever have seen at WDW. I actually took a picture going back to safari ride in AK. NOBODY as far as you could see. We basically had the park to ourselves (this was pre Avatar though)
Were you in Epcot or MK for NYE? When in the eve. do they start handing out noisemakers?

Were you in Epcot or MK for NYE? When in the eve. do they start handing out noisemakers?
We actually were in HS and they started handing out the noisemakers and hats about 5pm!!!! Several hours of horn blowing before I gave up and went back to the room with a rip roaring headache

Rope drop is your friend. We went to Mk on Dec 28 a few years ago and it was fab for the first couple of hours.

Last edited:
Was this an Extra Magic Hour or regular park opening?

Whoops...just saw it read a few HOURS ago. It was supposed to say a few years ago lol. I fixed it.

I am trying to remember but I don't think it was EMH. It may have been though as we were staying at the Dolphin.

I just remember we got there at something like 6ish for a 7am open. We were belly up to the rope at the train station and booked it to Seven Dwarves. My kids were able to stay at the very front of the pack but my nearly seventy year old father lagged behind a bit. They ended up dropping back to join us and we all got on the 2nd or 3rd train of the day.

After that, we prob did another ride or two (likely Peter Pan) and then walked on to Space Mountain. Then spent another 15 mins playing in the arcade there (it was killing me to play in the arcade during prime morning hours!!), strolled to Frontierland, had a leisurely breakfast snack and then had a 15 min standby wait at Big Thunder.

Easy leisurely morning. We left soon after that and moved on to Animal Kingdom.

Do people recommend EMH during holiday week?
I know other times of the year, the advice seems to have changed. Many suggest avoiding the park w EMH. Is this any different during the holidays or does the extra hour help?

I'm not sure if this was already answered for you. We were at Epcot for NYE 2017. We showed up in the afternoon (by design) and had no problems getting in. I think I read that MK has capacity closures but Epcot is normally fine.

I agree with the ADR advice for a dinner and place to sit. It was loud and crowded but not really as crowded as I was picturing. I was pleasantly surprised. Epcot resorts are not in the budget so the worst part of it for us was getting back to our room at 4am.

Use FP. Swim if you get a good day. Crowds are awful
Great advice! We are planning one day off to hit Disney Springs and resort time. We assumed it might not be warm enough to swim but will pack the suit just in case!!

I'm not sure if this was already answered for you. We were at Epcot for NYE 2017. We showed up in the afternoon (by design) and had no problems getting in. I think I read that MK has capacity closures but Epcot is normally fine.

I agree with the ADR advice for a dinner and place to sit. It was loud and crowded but not really as crowded as I was picturing. I was pleasantly surprised. Epcot resorts are not in the budget so the worst part of it for us was getting back to our room at 4am.
Thanks!! But Wow! 4:00 am? That’s rough!! How were you traveling? Bus? Car?
Good to hear there was no problem getting in during the afternoon. We will be closer to 5:30 but hopefully the “no closures” holds for this year, too! I can’t decide if more people or fewer people will head to Epcot because of the new show. I guess once reviews come out I may get a better idea.

Thanks!! But Wow! 4:00 am? That’s rough!! How were you traveling? Bus? Car?
Good to hear there was no problem getting in during the afternoon. We will be closer to 5:30 but hopefully the “no closures” holds for this year, too! I can’t decide if more people or fewer people will head to Epcot because of the new show. I guess once reviews come out I may get a better idea.
We used the buses from Saratoga Springs. We knew it would be crazy so we stayed in World Showcase until at least 1:00 (when it was scheduled to close) and then took our time making it out to the bus loop. I think the roads are so jammed, the buses just can't move. Anyways, I know we waited out by the buses for about an hour before we finally got on one. I don't recall the drive taking long so most of the traffic must have cleared by then.

This year, we are staying at Pop. I wonder if the Skyliner will be running and will be faster?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter