Unique Photo Spots @ DisneyLand or Sea

PrincessDisneyFan

Earning My Ears
So I've read tons of posts asking... what should one do at the parks. I'm lucky and have 2 days at each park on my upcoming visit.

Because I bought 2 Hotel packages and have multiple fast passes (I'm not so worried about getting on the rides I want) and this extra time should free up a passion of mine *Photography*

So for you Vets and even for those that just found some really neat spots to capture on camera... where should I make sure to trek to?

What nooks or crannies could I miss... not knowing the layout in and out? I plan on bringing the ole' Nikon 7200... (yes its heavy, but worth it)

Thanks in advance.

I've seen Japanese people carry 20 kg camera bags into the parks so if you aren't bringing extra lenses, it's not that much. Character/show photography is big in Tokyo so you'll often see people with large zoom lenses trying to capture characters during shows. Others bring a bunch of stuffed animals to set up in various places. It's best to just follow where everyone else goes on your first days for these shots (take note if you have lenses of similar focal length). For parades, I think the road near Toontown is good because the characters will only look in one direction but if you want that iconic castle front photo and have a long focal length, you can try the partner statue.

For general scenery, I'll start off with DisneySea. Cape Cod has a lot of neat places and Mermaid Lagoon can be good if you know how to do indoor photography. You can also walk around Fortress Explorations or the side alleyways of Arabian Coast till you find a spot you like. Take the transit steamer or electric railway for different angles. On the Disneyland side, I think Westernland has the best scenery so make your way to Tom Sawyer's Island and take the Western River Railway. For the fireworks, you can stand off to the right of the castle or in front of the globe at DisneySea. I think part of the photography experience is finding a moment that you personally want to capture so take time to explore!

I've seen Japanese people carry 20 kg camera bags into the parks so if you aren't bringing extra lenses, it's not that much. Character/show photography is big in Tokyo so you'll often see people with large zoom lenses trying to capture characters during shows.
Japanese tourists almost universally use 24-70 and 70-200 f/2.8 zoom lenses and massive cameras, or a tiny D5000 series or mirrorless with tiny lenses. Occassionally you'll also see a set of 24, 35, 50, and 85mm primes as well. D7200 is pretty light weight by weather sealed magnesium body standards, the lenses are where it will really add up considerably in the weight department. For me at least, a D7200 is just a teenie bit too small to hold comfortably so when I used one I would put a battery grip on it, because comfort in the hand is more important to me than comfort on the strap. It's one of the reasons I'm so fond of my F5 when I shoot film, despite the weight, it's just a comfortable camera to hold.

Typically though, if you can cover the 28-200 FOV equivalent (18-135 mm on your body) you'll only be missing fast apertures, which a couple of primes can cover. You have to remember that the sight lines for most of the photos were set up by camera companies - Kodak for the US parks, and Nikon did it for Tokyo.

Absolutely agree about the massive cameras + zoom lenses used. I carry a Canon SL2 and when paired with a 50mm or smaller prime lens, I actually feel a bit out of place in Tokyo. The pancake lens APS-C style is more common in Hong Kong Disneyland. The fast apertures and long focal lengths are mainly for character photography so if your main goal is just to capture landscape shots of the park, the kit lens + a lens for low light could be sufficient.

I've seen Japanese people carry 20 kg camera bags into the parks so if you aren't bringing extra lenses, it's not that much. Character/show photography is big in Tokyo so you'll often see people with large zoom lenses trying to capture characters during shows. Others bring a bunch of stuffed animals to set up in various places. It's best to just follow where everyone else goes on your first days for these shots (take note if you have lenses of similar focal length). For parades, I think the road near Toontown is good because the characters will only look in one direction but if you want that iconic castle front photo and have a long focal length, you can try the partner statue.

For general scenery, I'll start off with DisneySea. Cape Cod has a lot of neat places and Mermaid Lagoon can be good if you know how to do indoor photography. You can also walk around Fortress Explorations or the side alleyways of Arabian Coast till you find a spot you like. Take the transit steamer or electric railway for different angles. On the Disneyland side, I think Westernland has the best scenery so make your way to Tom Sawyer's Island and take the Western River Railway. For the fireworks, you can stand off to the right of the castle or in front of the globe at DisneySea. I think part of the photography experience is finding a moment that you personally want to capture so take time to explore!

This makes me so happy to finally feel like more people will have big bulky cameras with HUGE zoom lens. I feel so out of place in America and even Europe at times. (what with a lot of people just using phones as cameras now)

Unfortunately, I was diagnosed in 2015 with very destructive Rheumatoid Arthritis (which I prefer to call Disease) When it came on it quickly damaged my right hands pinky (which is my dominant hand) And I also am not as strong in my wrists anymore... which poses challenges to carrying my cameras.

So as far as super mega lens... I think I may just stick with my 18-135mm for the majority of the trip.

I am also going to purchase another Handy-Cam (probably the Sony for videoing)

I totally agree about finding my moment and believe you me... I'll be exploring up a storm. But Thanks a ton for these suggestions.

One of my ideas is to buy a Chandu Plushie (because I think he looks adorable) and take him around Disney Sea taking picture with him in Duffy photo spots.

And of course finding great spots to take pictures of the foods I try.

As much as it adds weight, have you ever tried a battery grip? Even if you don't use it for a second battery it can give you much more purchase on the camera and keeps your pinky from slipping off the bottom of it and brings the center of gravity closer to you and less out on the lens, so it may help with handling for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!