Unheated Small Pool in Feb.?

PSUGuy

Bill From PA
We're looking to spend the month of Feb in central Fla starting in 2020 and the properties we're eyeing have small, private screened in pools. Several offer heating for extra $$ but we have no idea if this will be necessary. When we book, which will be soon (maybe today) we'll ask the owner if we can wait until we dip our toes in to decide about that but if we have to commit right now I'm curious as to what local residents experience in Feb. As we circle to land I look down and it seems like every other property has a pool so I'm hoping to get some advice here. We've lived in North East Pa all our lives so can probably tolerate lower temps than a Fla native, we don't need steam rising off the pool, just no ice.

Bill From PA

I think it's going to vary. It could be week to week or year to year. It will depend on the temperatures at that time. Many years ago we took the kids to Disney over Christmas and stayed at the Poly. I loved being able to do a night swim and wanted to introduce my kids to it. The Poly's pool heater was out. No problem, we're from the north (Kentucky), we can handle a little cold water. umm... nope. That water was COLD. Granted, no ice, but still COLD.

Conversely, we just got back from a VRBO stay at Emerald Island. They had a private pool and we went ahead and paid for the pool heat. The pool itself wasn't warm, but it wasn't exactly cold, much less cool. I'd say it was just right. It also allowed us our night swims (which we took advantage of a couple times during the week).

I'd guess if you're only going to swim in the afternoon AND the sun's been out much of the day, you'll probably be fine. But if you want to swim in the morning or in the evening/night, you'll be wishing you had the pool heat. Just my guess.

I'd guess if you're only going to swim in the afternoon AND the sun's been out much of the day, you'll probably be fine. But if you want to swim in the morning or in the evening/night, you'll be wishing you had the pool heat. Just my guess.

Thanks for this, we'll probably be lounging mid to late afternoon and just dipping in and out, not looking to do laps, as if the pools we're looking at are big enough! Actually, our #1 choice says Solar Heated and a satellite view if the property on VRBO seems to show panels on the roof. We're probably going to pull the trigger on this one today.

Bill From PA

looking to spend the month of Feb in central Fla starting in 2020
Retirement coming up, Bill? I know you've talked about it here before. If so, best wishes, well deserved. :beach: :drinking1 A Happy and Healthy New Year for you and family.

Temperatures on the south can vary widely in typical winter months.

I live on the Gulf of Mexico in Mississippi-very similar climate to Central Florida. We had 4 inches of snow March 13, 1993. Any flurries in a year have people talking. But 4 inches of snow in March? That's one we will remember for generations.

So far, this winter is very mild, but that can change on a dime.

Last edited:
Retirement coming up, Bill? I know you've talked about it here before. If so, best wishes, well deserved. :beach: :drinking1 A Happy and Healthy New Year for you and family.

Yes, Dan, 110 days, 4 hrs, 44 minutes but who's counting! And here's to a great 2019 for you and yours. Maybe we'll run into each other in WDW some day, Oct 28 - Nov 6 this year and many days in Feb 2020.

Bill

I'm in western PA. Had an 11,000 gallon pool, no heat. I rarely saw 80° water temperature. It took many consecutive 90+ August days before we reached 80°.

Temperature is personal, but my thoughts are, 76 is pretty dang cold. 78 to 80 is perfect. If we hit 82, it started to be warm. Not refreshing on hot summer days. Above 82, the water was just too dang hot. May as well just take a hot shower. I didn't see this very often, just once or twice.

Don't know what February is like in Florida, certainly a LOT nicer than PA. I can't see how a pool could be swimmable (I made that word up) in February without heat. Thermodynamic physics is the same no matter where you are. If Florida in February is like April or May in PA, a pool is going to be way too cold for me. Kids are a little different. They'd swim in 60° water in the spring complete with blue lips every year.

I'm in western PA. Had an 11,000 gallon pool, no heat. I rarely saw 80° water temperature. It took many consecutive 90+ August days before we reached 80°.

Temperature is personal, but my thoughts are, 76 is pretty dang cold. 78 to 80 is perfect. If we hit 82, it started to be warm. Not refreshing on hot summer days. Above 82, the water was just too dang hot. May as well just take a hot shower. I didn't see this very often, just once or twice.

Don't know what February is like in Florida, certainly a LOT nicer than PA. I can't see how a pool could be swimmable (I made that word up) in February without heat. Thermodynamic physics is the same no matter where you are. If Florida in February is like April or May in PA, a pool is going to be way too cold for me. Kids are a little different. They'd swim in 60° water in the spring complete with blue lips every year.

We do 10 days in Myrtle Beach every June/July and the water temp is right in your range, never below 78, rarely above 83. We booked the place in Indian Point, Kissinger today. The listing said Solar Heated Pool and a satellite view showed panels so I'm sure we'll be fine.

Bill From PA

Arizona here.....solar heat, but it doesn't work in winter, so from Mid-Nov until mid Feb, no swimming.
But in FL temps may be better in Feb. It does take quite a while to heat a pool with just sun

No way. I've had an unheated pool for many years in Florida. You won't be able to use it.

FWIW we live on the gulf just south of Tampa, we have a solar cover on the pool (not solar roof panels - just the cover) our pool is 71 at the surface, colder the further down you get. Of course a small pool would be warmer than a larger one. That temp is much too cold for me to swim personally. I'd have to turn the heater on to use the pool - and it would take a fair amount of time to get the water heated.

Spent half my life in California and Florida and the other half in cold places like CO, PA, and WA... HEAT THE POOL! If you wait until you get there, it will take half your vacation to warm up.

Last edited:
You'll want to pay for heat and make sure they have a cover for the pool at night when you aren't using it. We live in SW Florida and have our pool heater set at 86 degrees. We have a solar pool cover as well. Today it's in the 60's (temps dropped last night) and I wouldn't want to be in the pool without the heater.

My parents rented villas for 8 years before they landed a permanent winter home. They were never disappointed with the decision to heat the pool. Also a necessity if you fancy an evening skinny dip.

Thanks for this, we'll probably be lounging mid to late afternoon and just dipping in and out, not looking to do laps, as if the pools we're looking at are big enough! Actually, our #1 choice says Solar Heated and a satellite view if the property on VRBO seems to show panels on the roof. We're probably going to pull the trigger on this one today.

Bill From PA

Are you sure that you understand what they mean by "solar heated"? The solar panels on the roof may have nothing to do with the pool - as a PP noted, many people have solar blankets on their pools which helps warm up the water but, generally, isn't going to raise the temperature all the much.

Get the heat. If it turns out you didn't need it or the pool is too warm, your family can still splash around & use it. If it's unheated and too cold, it would be unusable. :badpc:

I live in Windermere (Orlando). We have a pool. It isn't heated. No way I'd get in that pool now. VERY COLD! In the spring, we will be putting in a heater. While it is not unusual to have days in the 80s here and there during the winter here, it cools off a lot at night. The water cools down quickly!

I doubt you’ll be able to use it. I have a pool in NOLA. Although there are days that are warm enough to use it, the water temp itself is too low. We usually can’t use ours til late May & the water gets too cold again by late Sept.

Update, we didn't get the property with the solar heat, we ended up with a nice unit in Thousand Oaks and as we booked the whole month the owner offered to heat the pool at a substantial discount and we accepted the offer. Now watch, next Feb will break temp records!

Bill From PA

Update, we didn't get the property with the solar heat, we ended up with a nice unit in Thousand Oaks and as we booked the whole month the owner offered to heat the pool at a substantial discount and we accepted the offer. Now watch, next Feb will break temp records!

Bill From PA
Even with record heat an un heated pool would be too cold to enjoy in Feb

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter