Uknown Benefits of Owning DVC

HairyChest

DIS Veteran
I'm a huge Disneyworld fan like many of you. I went on my first trip in 2012 and fell in love. My family and I have been going an average of twice a year since then even though we live close to Disneyland. I recently became a DVC member (Saratoga resale) after much research and contemplating. I heard about all the benefits of owning, but after purchasing and actually booking trips, I have found so many more benefits that no one really talked about or told me. Granted I have yet to actually go on my first trip as an owner because of the delays due to covid, but I have a couple trips already planned and confirmed. Here are some of the benefits that I have came across to help those who havn't purchased yet and I also would love to hear others experiences and the benefits they didn't know of until they became owners themselves (I also think this would be a great topic for a DVC show).

Planning my resort stay has never been this much fun
Many of us love planning new trips to the world. Picking a resort always started with what deals are available and for what time of year. From there, choosing which one I'd really like to stay at and how many days I can afford. And then using Disney math to either extend my nights and/or justify the higher cost. Now as a member I can pick ANY Disney resort for ANY time of year without only choosing from the resorts and days that have deals available. It really opens up the vacation planning and excitement. I can now stay at places I couldn't really justify paying for since it wasn't the right dates or excluded from deals. The joy and excitement I have of staying at all the different types of themed resorts is really special.

Checking availability after the 7 month mark is really exciting.
OK so we all know of the buy where you want to stay mantra. But I wasn't able to buy at all if I didn't buy the most economical home resort for me. But I just wanted to stay at the Polynesian and was very nervous about availability at the resorts. Well let me tell you availability has changed pretty much everyday at all the resorts, even the infamous high occupancy time of DVC in the fall. Ive gotten everything Ive wanted for all the dates Ive stalked availability for and I truly enjoy seeing rooms pop up available randomly and the sense of accomplishment I get on securing it. This also made me want to stay at different resorts because something is booked up and then it becomes available and I say to myself "ooh let's try that since it just became available and is hard to get".

Knowing I can do this every year for the next 30+ years
Almost like having a savings account with money you never touch, DVC feels like a safety net. Knowing that you always will have a vacation to go on each year and plan feels sooo good! No matter whats going on in the world, your happy place is there for you waiting to be met with your presence.

That's it for now but as I continue on this new journey I will add more benefits that I experience and Im sure there will be plenty!!

No matter whats going on in the world, your happy place is there for you waiting to be met with your presence.
Except for when it isn’t because it is closed because what is going on in the world. Too soon? Sorry, but just wanted to give a little less rose colored glasses as my happy place was closed because of the pandemic and the fact that I am DVC owner and had a reservation didn’t make any bit a difference for me to be able to take the vacation I had planned.

Hairychest I love your thoughts on DVC having myself spent hours searching for the best deals to Disney, finally a little late to the party we are In the process of buying resale at SSR , and even amidst this time of uncertainty I have complete faith Disney will bounce back from this

Except for when it isn’t because it is closed because what is going on in the world. Too soon? Sorry, but just wanted to give a little less rose colored glasses as my happy place was closed because of the pandemic and the fact that I am DVC owner and had a reservation didn’t make any bit a difference for me to be able to take the vacation I had planned.

Actually your DVC membership is enabling you to get back to Disney on June 22nd in the midst of the world being hit with a huge pendemic. We are the only people that can book rooms for the time being. In fact the only resorts that are opening are the DVC resorts. That should give you much confidence in the future of your membership. It is frustrating that our trips that were planned for the past 2 months have been delayed or had to be canceled but it is amazing that we are able to get back to the magic sooner then others.

Knowing I can do this every year for the next 30+ years
Almost like having a savings account with money you never touch, DVC feels like a safety net. Knowing that you always will have a vacation to go on each year and plan feels sooo good! No matter whats going on in the world, your happy place is there for you waiting to be met with your presence.
All your points are good but this right here for me is the biggest draw. It's why "Welcome Home" is the perfect slogan.

Actually your DVC membership is enabling you to get back to Disney on June 22nd in the midst of the world being hit with a huge pendemic. We are the only people that can book rooms for the time being. In fact the only resorts that are opening are the DVC resorts. That should give you much confidence in the future of your membership. It is frustrating that our trips that were planned for the past 2 months have been delayed or had to be canceled but it is amazing that we are able to get back to the magic sooner then others.
I don’t need confidence in my membership. You said, no matter what’s going on in the world its waiting for you. I think we have all learned that isn’t quite true. That’s not to say I don’t still love my DVC. And while I completely understand why they closed and support it, they still closed and weren’t there for me in May when I was expecting to go. It’s great that DVC members can return to the world before everyone else, but I wouldn’t exactly call that a benefit, especially when the parks aren’t open and it’s not a foregone conclusion that it will always be the case. For example the last couple of months that benefit was non-existent.

Checking availability after the 7 month mark is really exciting.
OK so we all know of the buy where you want to stay mantra. But I wasn't able to buy at all if I didn't buy the most economical home resort for me. But I just wanted to stay at the Polynesian and was very nervous about availability at the resorts. Well let me tell you availability has changed pretty much everyday at all the resorts, even the infamous high occupancy time of DVC in the fall. Ive gotten everything Ive wanted for all the dates Ive stalked availability for and I truly enjoy seeing rooms pop up available randomly and the sense of accomplishment I get on securing it. This also made me want to stay at different resorts because something is booked up and then it becomes available and I say to myself "ooh let's try that since it just became available and is hard to get".
It's funny because I love doing the same and am excited for the prospect of owning DVC just to "upgrade" our experiences like this.

One of the happiest days for me in the last year was when I saw a balcony cabin for our cruise priced lower than our interior view. 20 minutes later and I had managed a free upgrade. The next day that same balcony room was $600 more than what we had paid... it was an opportunity that only existed for a short window.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter