Ugh Southwest gift cards

taraaplin

Mouseketeer
Ugh. I am so pissed at myself. Booked for travel for our July Disney Trip as it was lowest I’d ever seen for 5 people round trip (1300- 1500 with early bird). So I purchased 1500 worth of SOUTHWEST AIRLINES gift cards From target to get 5 percent off. Because who doesn’t like to save. Didn’t read the fine print EARLY BIRD cannot be used. So instead of saving 75 dollars, I’m down 130. I will use it again but not until our 2021 annual vacation. So frustrating And I can’t even use it for a hotel either. Ugh! I’m so mad at myself.

Ugh. I am so pissed at myself. Booked for travel for our July Disney Trip as it was lowest I’d ever seen for 5 people round trip (1300- 1500 with early bird). So I purchased 1500 worth of SOUTHWEST AIRLINES gift cards From target to get 5 percent off. Because who doesn’t like to save. Didn’t read the fine print EARLY BIRD cannot be used. So instead of saving 75 dollars, I’m down 130. I will use it again but not until our 2021 annual vacation. So frustrating And I can’t even use it for a hotel either. Ugh! I’m so mad at myself.

You can't use gift cards to cover early bird check in? I didn't know that. Thank you for sharing but sorry you are dealing with it!

Just check in 24 hours prior. Won’t need early bird. We never get it and always get group A.

Just check in 24 hours prior. Won’t need early bird. We never get it and always get group A.

We got burned big time on our last trip. We checked in right at 24 hours and were like B10-14 and thought we were golden, then a southwest employee came out and started telling everyone with kids to board with family boarding. Surprise, that was everybody. We didn't bother since we were low B group and didn't realize everyone was getting in that line, and we were literally in the last 15 people or so to get on the plane. Almost everyone got up and got in during family boarding. We couldn't sit together and I had to ask someone to move so my 4 year old didn't have to sit alone. It was a disaster. I will pay for ebci from here on out.

Last edited:

We don’t buy EBCI, always check in at 24 hours and we always get mid B to early C. Haven’t been in the A boarding group for years. We still always have sat together so I’ve not felt the need to buy EB. It does seem like more people are buying it now though and pushing all us cheapskates back lol!

We got burned big time on our last trip. We checked in right at 24 hours and were like B10-14 and thought we were golden, then a southwest employee came out and started telling everyone with kids to board with family boarding. Surprise, that was everybody. We didn't bother since we were low B group and didn't realize everyone was getting in that line, and we were literally in the last 15 people or so to get on the plane. Almost everyone got up and got in during family boarding. We couldn't sit together and I had to ask someone to move so my 4 year old didn't have to sit alone. It was a disaster. I will pay for ebci from here on out.
If you had a 4 year old, couldn't you have done family boarding?

Yes, but as I said, I thought we were OK with our boarding number so we stayed, not realizing that literally almost the entire plane was getting in the family boarding line. Our next trip she will be 6 so we won't be able to use it anyway. But with young kids, you would probably be ok to do without ebci and utilize family boarding. I learned my lesson.

I was thinking the same thing....Southwest is great. Families with kids always board early no matter what you are A B or C. Just impossible to best flying southwest. We check in 24 hours ahead and have never had issues sitting together.

Southwest family boarding includes ages 6 and under.
On flights where many have purchased ebci, it is theoretically possible to end up with an early b boarding group position and board after family boarding.

Last edited:
Yeah EBCI is considered an extra.

SWA doesn't even allow points to be used for EBCI nor is it refundable either should you cancel your flight (unless I believe within the 24hours after initially booking your flight).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts