Ugh! Deployment

crazyme5kids

DIS Veteran
Got the news yesterday that my son is going to deploy. Naturally he can't tell me much about it. Plus this is his first time, so it's all new to him too.

My big question right now that I am hoping someone can give me some feedback on is: He will be moving from his home base to the base from which he will deploy. What are the chances of us getting to see him at the new base,even if only for a few hours, before he deploys?

As he gets closer to the date, he should get an idea of when his flight will be, and, from my experience being the "deployer" he will have time to see family/friends before getting on the bus to the airport/airfield.

Not sure what branch-army soldiers-even guard soldiers, get a leave period or at least a pass to go home or have family members come and visit prior to leaving the states for deployment.

He's army. It's good to know we should be able to see him before he goes. There are so many questions I have. Hopefully he will have some answers soon.

Regular Army? Guard? Reserves?

If he's regular Army he is PCSing?

If not I'm assuming he will be sent to a Post for training before deploying. That is the way I've seen it done in the past. My husband built barracks at Fort Riley they guys would stay in to do training before deployment.

Generally I've seen deployment ceremonies before leaving.

I have a nephew in the USMC being deployed very soon. He gets 3 days leave. Since he's based on one coast and his family lives on the other coast it will cut down significantly on family time.
It's his first time being deployed too. Many prayers will be going out for all of them.

Regular army. Not PCSing. He will transfer to the other base and deploy within the month. As far as I know, when he gets back from his 9 month deployment he will go back to his current home base.

winteriscoming, where is your nephew going to deploy to (not sure if you can say or not though)?

crazy~is your Son new to the Army? It is unusual for the Army to transfer you to a base to deploy then transfer you back. The Army typically deploys as a unit.

Oh so that makes more sense in the Air Force that is more the norm, I think the Army call is an individual augmentee. Typically they do get leave prior to deployment but this situation is unique so while I would say you will see him, you wont know for sure until he has firm dates. I will say depending on his location you can expect pretty good communication. My D's ex BF is able to be on FB basically everyday.

Regular army. Not PCSing. He will transfer to the other base and deploy within the month. As far as I know, when he gets back from his 9 month deployment he will go back to his current home base.

winteriscoming, where is your nephew going to deploy to (not sure if you can say or not though)?

Okay, first take a deep breath. I know this is all happening so quickly and when you don't know the language or process it can be overwhelming.

I'm about 80% positive that your son's deploying unit will have some family time whether it is a couple days before he gets on a plane or just the night before it happens. Do you know what new post or unit he is going to be attached?

I'm not sure if I ever told you about a book by Vicki Cody? The book is for free download and called "Your Soldier, Your Army: A Parent's Guide" and is a great reference to help. Mrs. Cody is the mother of two soldiers as well as wife to a retired general. Here is the link for the free book http://www.ausa.org/publications/ilw/ilw_pubs/specialreports/Documents/yoursoldier.pdf

What kind of questions do you have? None of us will know if he will have internet and phone access. It all depends on where he is going and his job when he gets there. Some bases are like mini cities and have alot of things from home like fast food and coffee places and internet cafes. Some people are stationed on mountain tops and have to have rations dropped in once a week and mail dropped in when possible.

There is alot of expereinced and educated people on here that can help. Just reach out and let us know the questions or the worries. Don't put out the sensitive things like locations and time frames. Be vaugue always on the internet and not just here but on email or facebook as well. You can say "I miss Johnny." Don't say "Johhny is great at FOB Green where he is with the 1st Cav blowing up the moutains and I'm worried because he is on a secret mission tomorrow." This is just my example but it's a real example that happens all the time.

Come talk to us and we can help you out. We have been there and did that and know how confusing it can be.

Thank you lovemygoofy, I will download her book. I wish I could ask certain questions, but I know I can't, especially on an open forum. Even something as simple as asking about calling cards seems to be problematic lol. I want to be very careful about what I put out there for others to read.

Thank you lovemygoofy, I will download her book. I wish I could ask certain questions, but I know I can't, especially on an open forum. Even something as simple as asking about calling cards seems to be problematic lol. I want to be very careful about what I put out there for others to read.

You can ask all kinds of things like calling cards, packing goody boxes, paperwork your son should be doing, money issues and just handling the emotions of it all.

Specific things not to mention in open forum include dates, locations, unit movement and things you wouldn't want repeated over the intercom at walmart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts