Uber vs. Lyft

i luv the duck

Mouseketeer
We are going to DW in a few weeks, what is a more desirable method of transportation, Uber or Lyft? I've never experienced either because we tend to drive most places or take a cab if need be.

I drive for both companies, and I consider them the same. Their fares are usually within pennies of each other (often exactly the same) and many drivers drive for both companies. So there may be minor differences, but often it's the same car and driver for both companies. I personally think the prudent consumer should have both apps on their phone and compare whenever possible.

In my market (Miami/Ft. Lauderdale), there are a lot more Ubers than Lyft so there can be a significant pickup difference if you are outside of a prime tourist or business area. You will typically wait a lot longer for Lyft in the suburbs here.

But I don't think that is a factor in the WDW area. Both companies should offer very good service at WDW and the fares are the lowest in the US -- usually about 1/3 to 1/2 of cab fares.

If you give more specific information about where you are staying, Joel or Rob (both of whom drive at WDW) can probably give you a lot of good local insights.

Also, if you look at the "stickies" at the top of this forum, you will see discussions of numerous broad transportation questions.

Within WDW itself, there are numerous options (monorail, buses, Express buses between parks, the new Uber-like Minnie-van service that is just being introduced, taxis, boats, Uber, Lyft, etc.). LOTS and LOTS of options onsite, and you don't have to be staying onsite to use them.

I prefer Lyft because of all the issues with Uber's corporate climate and their CEO. The ability to tip via the app was a big plus, too. Uber has added that functionality in the app now, though.

I prefer Lyft because of all the issues with Uber's corporate climate and their CEO.
Yep, that is an issue for some riders. Although, in fairness, Uber has fired the CEO and is in the early stages of turning around the stupid fratboy culture that existed. That will be a work in progress for a while.

As someone who works with both companies, none of that has ever affected my dealings with the company. I've never had anything but ethical treatment from Uber.

And, given the fact that most of us drive for both companies, none of that should actually affect the customer experience at WDW. Ridesharing is quick, convenient, easy, and cheap. Both companies provide very good customer service and issues are resolved almost instantly and to everyone's satisfaction.
The ability to tip via the app was a big plus, too. Uber has added that functionality in the app now, though.
Yes, both now offer in-app tipping nationwide...as of Monday, actually. Uber even matched all rider tips on Tuesday to celebrate.

The rider reaction to Uber's big switch has been amusing. Many riders LOVE the ability to tip in the app, because many folks just don't like to carry cash. OTOH, there has been a real Twitter-storm on Uber's Twitter account from riders who don't want to tip and feel betrayed! If you want a real chuckle, check it out!

We're staying at Four Seasons. Our flight arrives around 6 pm so we'll need transportation to the resort. We will also go to Disney Springs and FS doesn't have transportation there so again we'll have to find another means of transportation. Any recommendations would help. I just figured Uber/Lyft would be the best way to go.

We're staying at Four Seasons. Our flight arrives around 6 pm so we'll need transportation to the resort. We will also go to Disney Springs and FS doesn't have transportation there so again we'll have to find another means of transportation. Any recommendations would help. I just figured Uber/Lyft would be the best way to go.
Yes, Uber/Lyft is probably your best bet. There are also towncar services, taxis, shuttles, and other options, but they will be much more expensive.

You'll have no problem getting Uber or Lyft from MCO to FS, or from FS to anywhere else. I don't know if FS provides buses to and from the parks, but even if they do you might find Uber/Lyft more convenient.

I recommend that you have both apps on your phone because the fares may vary slightly and during very busy periods one system may surge and the other won't.

If you have multiple adults in your party, be sure everyone has both apps. If someone does not yet have the app, look on your app for the referral option and send them a referral. They will get new rider discounts, and you will get some kind of reward when they take rides on their app.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter