uber/lyft versus minnie van

Weird. All the articles I saw said partnering with Lyft. To me that means it's Lyft.
No, Joel is right. The vehicle/driving aspect is 100% Disney. They are just using Lyft's app for convenience -- both for the ride-hailing and presumably the payment.

I thought you didn't want to debate the debate you started...:confused3

Not playin'...sorry.

Please read what I wrote. It says: "I'm not interested in debating exactly how Uber and Lyft are violating regulations."

I'm not discussing how they violate regulations. Instead, I'm discussing why I don't patronize a company that does violate regulations and laws. That's entirely different.

Also, I didn't start the debate. I answered the question posed. You're the one that started the debate by responding to my post in detail. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) Although, it does seem that you're bothered that I have a very different opinion.

Minnie Van failed us completely. The app would just never find a driver. Tried to go from Boardwalk to Disney Springs. After 15 minutes of it searching, I checked with Bell services. They gave me a number to call... put on hold forever. Eventually resorted to taking the bus.

Just used the Minnievan service last night. We were post 'Ohana/post Hallowishes fireworks on the beach, it was 10:45 and I did not want to deal with getting to the buses.

This is how it was explained to me/my experience so ymmv.

It's still new so a lot of CMs had no experience with it. It is being tested at certain resorts, among them, BC, YC and BWI. You download the app, and get a code from Guest Services at your hotel. Then you are ready to use. At Poly, one CM had just had a review of the procedure and was semi helpful. The concierge seemed more knowledgeable but he was busy, and the valet guys I was referred to did not know much at all.

When I used the app, I was offered several Lyft cars of varying capacities, all within about 9-12 minutes arrival time. When I chose "Minnievan", nothing happened. Not even an estimate of time. On may fourth try at requesting, I was assigned an ETA of 4 minutes for the Minnievan.

He arrived and I got a text for my Minnievan #: 'Your minivan #xx has arrived'. Driver was friendly and chatty, very Disney CM-like.

He explained that they only have 30 vans and it is being tested at a few resorts. So that is why I wasn't getting any results with multiple tries: there are simply not enough vans at peak times. The drivers are Disney CMs with at least one year Disney work experience and are paid a salary by Disney. They only use the Lyft app to schedule the pickups. He had been dropping someone off at GF and as soon as he finished his fare he was notified of my request for a pickup at the Poly.

I have used Uber as well and the lack of immediate response to my Minnievan request was confusing to me; now I know to wait a bit longer after popular events. However, if it is peak season after a peak event, you could be stuck waiting much longer than a few minutes. This problem will continue until they get more vans as the service seems to be very popular.

As someone mentioned, you don't have to worry about surge pricing as it is a $20 flat fee. As there were 5 in my party, it was worth it to me. I have had taxi drivers of varying abilities over the years, so the idea that I was getting a Disney CM as my driver was very appealing to me, as was the flat fee with no tip required. The downside is that, at peak times, you may have to wait awhile before a Minnievan can be dispatched to you.

I would use it again.

Last edited:

So do you tip with the Minnie Van and how? I always tip in cash with Uber.

No tip expected and the driver seemed quite happy to be a driver for this service.

So do you tip with the Minnie Van and how? I always tip in cash with Uber.
I have read several times that the MV Disney CMs are not allowed to accept tips. I don't know if that is true.

With regard to Uber, you know you can also now tip in the Uber app if you want. You have to do your driver rating first, and then the tip option will appear. It will give you a couple of choices for tip amount, or you can enter any amount you want.

Disney gave me a free ride in the Minnie car Saturday

On the inside it's a boring gray car. (And when he's not driving for Disney, the driver actually works for Uber on his own time)

Having Been in this vehicle unless you need a car seat skip it and just take a picture of it. That is the only cute part

Please read what I wrote. It says: "I'm not interested in debating exactly how Uber and Lyft are violating regulations."

I'm not discussing how they violate regulations. Instead, I'm discussing why I don't patronize a company that does violate regulations and laws. That's entirely different.

Also, I didn't start the debate. I answered the question posed. You're the one that started the debate by responding to my post in detail. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) Although, it does seem that you're bothered that I have a very different opinion.

Can you take your rants to the Community Board? They love posts that blend Fact and Fiction to support whatever view you want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!