uber/lyft versus minnie van

robl45

DIS Veteran
Can someone explain why I might use a minnie van at 20 dollars a trip versus lyft/uber at 10 dollars a trip? I'm just trying to figure out if I"m missing something here. I assume the Minnie van can drive you right into magic kingdom where the buses park versus lyft/uber dropping at bay lake tower and 5 minute walk over. Also I assume they can pickup where the buses drop off at Disney springs instead of the east or west parking lots?

I've priced out a number of trips and it seems to be right around 10 dollars no matter where you go so what is the real advantage of the minnie van? I'll probably do it once just so my daughter can ride in the polka dot van anyway, but not all the time if its just double the price.

Minnie Vans are guaranteed to have two car seats available, something Uber/Lyft isn't.

There are also plenty of people who feel uncomfortable using Uber/Lyft (for a variety of reasons) and would prefer to be driven by a Disney employee.

I think you hit most of the reasons. Kids (and even some adults) just like the the idea of riding in polka dot van. It's an official Disney option and some people like that; you know the driver will be friendly and knowledgeable (not that Uber/Lyft drivers aren't), and you get dropped off closer to the parks.

With the pricing, you have to compare apples to apples. If you compare the Minnie-van to UberXL or Lyft Plus -- both of which also carry 6 passengers -- the price will be very comparable. If you compare MV to regular Lyft or UberX (which only carry 4 passengers), yes the price is somewhat less.

If there are less than 5 of you, I would probably take the MV once just for the daughter's benefit. It will be a nice memory and photo op.

I've said this many times on the various MV threads, but I think the issue with MV will be availability, not price. Disney will have to have a ton of vans and hundreds of drivers to make MVs generally available throughout WDW 16 hours per day/7 days a week.

Just FYI on drivers, since the implementation of the new Florida rideshare law, all Uber/Lyft drivers must have very detailed background investigations -- which both Uber and Lyft already complied with. The checks cover not only driving records but also local, state and FBI criminal history checks, sexual predator list checks, and Homeland Security watch list checks. It's VERY extensive. There are many places around the world where just about anybody can drive for any company, but Florida is definitely NOT one of those places.

There are just four of us so Uber/lyft probably a better deal. Can anyone confirm about the MK and Disney springs drop off points? Does Minnie van get closer?

There are just four of us so Uber/lyft probably a better deal. Can anyone confirm about the MK and Disney springs drop off points? Does Minnie van get closer?

The Minnie Van will get you closer to MK (other services will have to drop off around the Contemporary). The question there is: How much is a 5- to 10-minute walk worth to you?

Assumed that for MK, what about for Disney springs? I think I might prefer the quick walk from bay lake as you get the real easy security check point which almost always has no one there. Disney springs I'm concerned will be the hassle of having to walk to one of the ends instead of just grabbing bus minnie van in the middle.

Speaking of that anyway, Will they pick me up in Disney springs or is it only from the resort right now? We are staying at Beach club where I know they are testing it, but does that mean I can use it anywhere?

The Minnie Van will get you closer to MK (other services will have to drop off around the Contemporary). The question there is: How much is a 5- to 10-minute walk worth to you?
I know I was Minnie van all the way. Especially the night we go to HDDR. But we are staying at the AKL. For me the extra would be worth getting dropped off closer! No Minnie van this trip.

Some people (myself included) do not agree with the structure of Uber or Lyft. Namely, the ruse that they are "technology" companies instead of cab companies. That nonsense allows them a competitive advantage over cab companies because they feel as though they don't have to abide by the same rules and regulations.

Additionally, Uber has had a series of scandals that resulted in the several members of senior leadership leaving the company in disgrace. It's not a company I'd ever support. For the record, I don't own a car. When I need to go places, I either opt to spend extra money to take a traditional cab or spend extra time by taking the bus.

Some people (myself included) do not agree with the structure of Uber or Lyft. Namely, the ruse that they are "technology" companies instead of cab companies. That nonsense allows them a competitive advantage over cab companies because they feel as though they don't have to abide by the same rules and regulations.
Of course, there are other people who believe that taxi companies have existed all this time primarily through bribery and corruption of elected officials. And there are numerous criminal prosecutions in the books to support that theory.

For example, in Key West, Florida (one of my favorite places in Florida) one of the city commissioners who would not allow Uber and Lyft to operate is the owner of...? The largest taxi company in Key West.

That's pretty much why the Florida Legislature took the regulation of rideshare operations away from corrupt local politicians and set very stringent standards for all TNC's (Transportation Networking Companies) operating in the state. The taxi industry, incidentally, would benefit from a similar house-cleaning and the Legislature is actively looking at that.

And if you think Disney doesn't exert tremendous political influence to get what they want, you are living in a dream world.

Additionally, Uber has had a series of scandals that resulted in the several members of senior leadership leaving the company in disgrace.
A few actually -- probably not enough.

However, most of the senior management who have left did so for other reasons which were extremely specific to that exec and their job in the company, and had nothing to do with "scandals." Some were forced out, but many others (including more important execs) left because they didn't like the environment and had opportunities to improve their career paths.

Only a very small handful left because of sexual harassment, for example. Uber probably has more work to do in that particular area, and they're working on it.

I'm not interested in debating exactly how Uber and Lyft are violating regulations, as I don't think that's appropriate for a Disney forum. And if anyone is interesting in scandals involving Uber, they are detailed in numerous news stories online. You'll discover that the scandals include issues other than sexual harassment. For example, a multi-million dollar fines for failure to provide data to the California Public Utilities Commission (that cab companies provide) to prove they weren't discriminating against people with disabilities.

Another price consideration is surge pricing that Uber does (not sure if Lyft does as we have never used them). The one time we used Uber at WDW was for a pre-park opening ADR and surge pricing was in effect.

SW

I'm not interested in debating exactly how Uber and Lyft are violating regulations, as I don't think that's appropriate for a Disney forum. And if anyone is interesting in scandals involving Uber, they are detailed in numerous news stories online. You'll discover that the scandals include issues other than sexual harassment. For example, a multi-million dollar fines for failure to provide data to the California Public Utilities Commission (that cab companies provide) to prove they weren't discriminating against people with disabilities.
I agree, there is plenty to criticize -- and that's true for any large company. But both Uber and Lyft are in complete compliance with Florida regulations...which is where WDW is located. Disney will be using the Lyft TNC network, so all of their drivers will also have to comply with Florida law.

Another price consideration is surge pricing that Uber does (not sure if Lyft does as we have never used them). The one time we used Uber at WDW was for a pre-park opening ADR and surge pricing was in effect.

SW
Yes, Lyft uses surge pricing. They call it Primetime. And yes, surges definitely affect the price the rider pays.

That's a big reason why I suggest that people have both apps on their phone -- one system may be surging and the other may not.

Keep in mind tho, that surge pricing is driven entirely by demand. During periods of surge pricing, Minnie vans will also have high demand too and may not be available. You just have to consider all options.

I agree, there is plenty to criticize -- and that's true for any large company. But both Uber and Lyft are in complete compliance with Florida regulations...which is where WDW is located. Disney will be using the Lyft TNC network, so all of their drivers will also have to comply with Florida law.

To me, the fact that Uber is in compliance here in Florida is irrelevant. Uber is a company that has repeatedly violated the law. As such, they aren't a company with which I will ever do business.

Imagine a case where Disney did something wildly unethical or illegal at the parks in California. I wouldn't shrug that off and continue visiting the Orlando parks by saying, "they didn't do anything wrong here."

For the record, I'm NOT saying that other people shouldn't use Uber. I'm not trying to convert anyone to my "side". I only posted on this thread because my point-of-view directly answers the question asked in the first post.

To me, the fact that Uber is in compliance here in Florida is irrelevant. Uber is a company that has repeatedly violated the law. As such, they aren't a company with which I will ever do business.

Imagine a case where Disney did something wildly unethical or illegal at the parks in California. I wouldn't shrug that off and continue visiting the Orlando parks by saying, "they didn't do anything wrong here."

For the record, I'm NOT saying that other people shouldn't use Uber. I'm not trying to convert anyone to my "side". I only posted on this thread because my point-of-view directly answers the question asked in the first post.
I thought you didn't want to debate the debate you started...:confused3

Not playin'...sorry.

No, Minnie Vans are run by Disney using salaried Disney cm's. They're just using Lyft's platform to handle the requests and dispatch.
And presumably payment. Most likely, Lyft will take their booking fee and commission from each ride and forward the remainder of the $20 fare to Disney.

Another important distinction, the Minnie vans are Disney-owned vehicles. I assume they will be insured by Disney, and since they are using a TNC system they will have to have the state-required insurance coverage.

Rideshare vehicles are owned or leased by the drivers. Both Uber and Lyft have $1 million liability coverage whenever passengers are riding in their vehicles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter