typhoon lagoon question

korzmom

<font color=deeppink>Special DIS Cast Member<br><f
i was just wondering if anyone can clear this up. i had heard that swimming with the sharks is now free, the last time i was there that was an extra cost(i'm not sure how much) does anyone know about this, and has anyone experienced this.how long are you alowd in the pool, are there certain times.etc...
heartswag.gif

My DH and DD 8, went and did this back in Sept. snorkeling. There was no extra charge and she still talks about it. Have fun!

There are two opportunities to swim with the fishes. One is free, with snorkle and wetsuit provided. You sort of float across the shark reef, and it lasts only as long as it takes to float from one side to the next.

The other is a paid 'tour' in which you can swim around (no diving down, however) and spend more time in the pool. I can't remember the details, but I'll look around and see if I can find more info.

The swim with the sharks is pretty cool. DD and I did it twice last August, while DS watched. It was free but they did have a snorkle session that you could pay for in the ajoining pool area.

Are there requirements for swimming with the sharks(age or height, etc..) ? I think my son would like to try it. He will be 7 when we go and is a pretty good swimmer. I am not sure if he would get the snorkle thing. Thanks

Lisareneeo,
I think your 7 yo DS should be okay because they were going to let my 6 yo DD swim but she decided at the last minute that she didn't want to because the water is a little cooler than the water park water and we were there on a 75 degree day so the cooler water made a difference. Have fun!

My DS at 6.5 bailed out on the shark tank. When you go through the tank you can only use your arms. All of my son's swimming instincts said kick (the vest they give you lets you float). Sharks don't like kicking. No real harm done. Another 6.75 year old with us did just fine.

When my family was there in May of 2002 we were able to do this without any additional fees. It was one of the neatest things we did at WDW . My family really enjoyed it. We took a couple of disposable waterproof cameras and snapped alot of photos, most of them turned out very well. Don't miss this !

..while watching my WDW video that just arrived!! We've never been to any of the water parks because of the time of year we
have been to Disney in the past. Our next trip we want to go!!
I like the big raft ride!! What park has this and how long does the ride last? Also,the area with the shark swim,are you actually swimming with fish????

airhead

I remember that I bailed out of this at TL too.
However, I have to admit that I was much older than six or seven though (LOL).
Got in the pool with the sharks and fishes, and decided i didn't like it, and I had to get out.

When I think about it now, i don't know why i went in the first place, as I hate beaches and oceans and that sort of thing.
But I did in actual fact see a small shark (well, i think it was anyway!!)

As far as I can remember, there was no additional charge for this facility. There is maybe a charge for the extended tour, but i didn't hang around to find out about that one!!!

Carene

Originally posted by airhead
..while watching my WDW video that just arrived!! We've never been to any of the water parks because of the time of year we
have been to Disney in the past. Our next trip we want to go!!
I like the big raft ride!! What park has this and how long does the ride last? Also,the area with the shark swim,are you actually swimming with fish????

airhead

Airhead: The "big raft ride" is at Blizzard Beach. Both parks have unique features, but without a doubt the raft rides, including the big one, are longer -- much longer at Blizzard Beach. Personally, I'm a TL addict, but the raft rides are relatively short.

As for the shark swim, you're sort of swimming OVER the fish, rather than with them. They keep to themselves at the bottom. You're snorkling on top, not swimming, per se. Some folks love it, some folks find it not worth the hype. I'm one of the latter. But Castaway Creek is worth the price of admission alone, and the wave pool is a big draw.

Pat

When we were there June 1, 2002, the session in the adjoining pool had a cost and involved the use of very small scuba tanks with regulators. I think the swimmers could dive under the water, but they were always positively bouyant since they didn't have weights and were wearing the neoprene jackets, so they couldn't swim around under the water for long.

When swimming/floating in the Shark Reef, kicking is not allowed in order to keep the swimmers from getting kicked by the ones in front of them. People drift at their own pace and are looking beneath the surface, so its easy for someone to bump into somebody else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter