Typhoon Lagoon + DHS in a day OR Discovery Cove and SeaWorld in a Day

Derrrit

Earning My Ears
I need help deciding, i'm so indecisive. One member of my party loves coasters but the rest of us don't, We've only done Blizzard beach and never Typhoon Lagoon or Discovery Cove, but loved the vibe to it. We're also going during the Holiday festivals.

Have you ever visited Sea World? If not I would give it a try. Discovery Cove and Typhoon Lagoon are completely different so it depends on what you're looking for. If money isn't an option then I would take Discovery Cove over Typhoon Lagoon any day.

I wouldn't give up any time at Discovery Cove for Sea World. It's definitely worth the full day there. You are talking Discovery Cove and the dolphins and all (very expensive day), not Aquatica (their water park)? Just making sure because they're two completely different things. You can do TL & DHS in a day fairly easily unless you really want to see all the DHS shows.

I would not try and do SeaWorld and Discovery Cove in a day... Both have enough to fill a day and I would feel rushed trying to do both.

Out of all your choices, I would do Discovery Cove.

In my experience, there is no way you could fit Discovery Cove and SeaWorld in one day. We've done a day at SeaWorld back in 2012 at the beginning of our Disney Vacation. Was fantastic, and a fun way to make that trip stand apart from the others. SeaWorld is definitely not about coasters. Sure they have a few good ones, but the shows and other attractions are excellent.

Dan

Last time we did Discovery Cove (a few years ago) it also included “free” admission to Sea World and Aquatica for a decent number of days so check into that if you decide to do Discovery Cove. We spent a full day at DC, 2 half days at Sea World, and a day at Aquatica. It was definitely a vacation on its own.

Have you ever visited Sea World? If not I would give it a try. Discovery Cove and Typhoon Lagoon are completely different so it depends on what you're looking for. If money isn't an option then I would take Discovery Cove over Typhoon Lagoon any day.

I wouldn't give up any time at Discovery Cove for Sea World. It's definitely worth the full day there. You are talking Discovery Cove and the dolphins and all (very expensive day), not Aquatica (their water park)? Just making sure because they're two completely different things. You can do TL & DHS in a day fairly easily unless you really want to see all the DHS shows.

Discovery Cove is amazing! But definitely an all day activity

In my experience, there is no way you could fit Discovery Cove and SeaWorld in one day. We've done a day at SeaWorld back in 2012 at the beginning of our Disney Vacation. Was fantastic, and a fun way to make that trip stand apart from the others. SeaWorld is definitely not about coasters. Sure they have a few good ones, but the shows and other attractions are excellent.

Dan

Last time we did Discovery Cove (a few years ago) it also included “free” admission to Sea World and Aquatica for a decent number of days so check into that if you decide to do Discovery Cove. We spent a full day at DC, 2 half days at Sea World, and a day at Aquatica. It was definitely a vacation on its own.
half of my party (me included) has visited Seaworld Orlando and Disney's Hollywood Studios (Only redeeming quality for me is Fantasmic) once and concluded we liked the other parks in Orlando better, however if we did do The All Inclusive ticket at Discovery Cove we can also hop over to Sea World when we're done with Discovery Cove for free like @luvallprincesses stated.

It would be great if somebody could give me some tips / pros and cons for both options. We are also staying at The Beach Club Villa's so transportation to Hollywood studios would be easy, we also have one park hopper we plan to use during our Epcot day, so if we feel the need to ride anything in Disney's Hollywood studio's we have that option as well.

Realistically speaking for Seaworld, We would not do it again unless we did Discovery Cove. We would also wanna watch the One Ocean show and dolphin day show . Is it possible to see those shows the same day as Discovery Cove, what's the usual hours for these shows? Our Coaster lover in our party will be fine at either option.

Last edited:
I agree with above posters that I would not do both DC and SW one day, unless SW is open till 9 or 10. We have been to DC five times and never leave till they kick everyone out at 5:30. At that point we head to the showers and are not in car till 6. I could not imagine leaving early--there is no much to do and we hit several areas more than once during the day.
You can go to seaworld.com and find what times the shows you want to see will be performed the day you will be there.
Do you have enough days in your trip to do DC one day and SW another?
If you are an AAA member, they have great deals on DC.

With DHS opening until 8-9pm you could pull of Typhoon Lagoon and DHS in one day but Sea World and Discovery Cove are going to require a full day at each.

We did Discovery Cove for the first time this year and loved it! For us, it was just a once time thing, but we really did enjoy it. We didn't even swim with the dolphins and we were still there for majority of the day. We really enjoyed the salt water lazy river because it was warm and we went on a chilly March day. We ended up using our free admission to Sea World on a different day and spent pretty much all day there as well. Sea World is not as great as Disney, but the lines for the roller coasters are almost non-existent. We rode the new Mako roller coaster 10 times in a row without getting off! It was exactly the type of thrill we needed that we don't get at Disney.

We did Discovery Cove for the first time this year and loved it! For us, it was just a once time thing, but we really did enjoy it. We didn't even swim with the dolphins and we were still there for majority of the day. We really enjoyed the salt water lazy river because it was warm and we went on a chilly March day. We ended up using our free admission to Sea World on a different day and spent pretty much all day there as well. Sea World is not as great as Disney, but the lines for the roller coasters are almost non-existent. We rode the new Mako roller coaster 10 times in a row without getting off! It was exactly the type of thrill we needed that we don't get at Disney.

Mako is without a doubt the best coaster in Florida,the crazy thing is that even though its the tallest and fastest coaster in Orlando its a coaster most people can ride over and over without issue,there's no loops or extreme maneuvers,its just a lot drops with tons of air time,easily one of the most enjoyable coasters out there.

I vote for TL and DHS in one day if your main goal is two parks in one day. I would open TL and be done in about 4 hours, change up and head to DHS staying to enjoy the night time shows. One coaster, one drop thrill ride.

Discovery Cove is a full day experience, particularly for the cost.
We open and close it, then have a nice dinner somewhere. I would never give up a minute for another park. SeaWorld is spread out and lots of walking so you need to commit some time if you are going to get much done, if you want to see all the shows etc.

SeaWorld gives them 3 coasters and the rest have the animals and low key stuff. If you mean Christmas Holidays SeaWorld's are the best. If you lean that way, get to Discovery Cove at opening trying to finish up around 3, head over to SW for the holiday stuff. Let your coaster person go off on their own. Plan to stay to the end, as the night time is beautiful. It should be included in your DC ticket so if you are only there a few hours and don't do much, it didn't cost you anything.

well, there is really no way to do DC and SW in the same day. You'd be missing too much of both...we love SW, and feel you really need two days. The Christmas stuff there is EXCELLENT--do NOT miss "O Wonderous Night"--in addition to their regular shows. All-day-dining deal is certainly worth it. The food is better than average. Just having the option of a drink and fresh fruit cup whenever you want, is certainly nice. We actually save money, too.
Now, DC is on our to-do list. My sister, husband and nephew went this summer. She has been to all the Orlando parks, and then some, and said it is the best experience that she has ever had. You will want to stay all day. Food and sunscreen included. They loved it all.
In the winter, DC closes earlier. IDK what time. So, I guess you could shower and do something in the evening...if you have lots of energy and willing to do a late night. If it is SW--which you get a free pass for--you could do it, but it would only be a taste of the park.

you could do TL (morning) and DHS in one day. Just get those afternoon fast passes in now.

I think Disney's waterparks are short lived. Nothing much to them and repeatability is nonexistent. We did the surf lessons there for our daughter. That was one of the best experiences we have ever had. We did the park afterwards and done by noon after going on all rides. We would definitely go back for the surf lessons.

DHS is getting very old and desperately in need of SWL and TSL. The newer Star Wars stuff is interesting and adds to it but some of the old junk needs to go. Indiana Jones shows is so old. Muppets is so old. It is mostly a shows park and they are dated. It does have 3 of the more fun rides on property. However, since they are the only 3 rides, lines are long. It is Disney's way. MK has about 20 rides. All of the other parks do not even come to that number. DHS (3), Epcot (8-9), AK (6-7). You get the picture.

Mako is without a doubt the best coaster in Florida,the crazy thing is that even though its the tallest and fastest coaster in Orlando its a coaster most people can ride over and over without issue,there's no loops or extreme maneuvers,its just a lot drops with tons of air time,easily one of the most enjoyable coasters out there.
I completely agree! It was so awesome because we could switch to any seat we wanted each time the ride stopped so we tried the front, back, some places in the middle, and just kept riding over and over until we finally couldn't ride any longer. We didn't get sick, but 10 times is a lot to ride without getting off. Personally, I can't stand to look at the animals at Sea World because their living conditions are pretty bad, but I would go there just for the rides.

I vote for TL and DHS in one day if your main goal is two parks in one day. I would open TL and be done in about 4 hours, change up and head to DHS staying to enjoy the night time shows. One coaster, one drop thrill ride.

Discovery Cove is a full day experience, particularly for the cost.
We open and close it, then have a nice dinner somewhere. I would never give up a minute for another park. SeaWorld is spread out and lots of walking so you need to commit some time if you are going to get much done, if you want to see all the shows etc.

SeaWorld gives them 3 coasters and the rest have the animals and low key stuff. If you mean Christmas Holidays SeaWorld's are the best. If you lean that way, get to Discovery Cove at opening trying to finish up around 3, head over to SW for the holiday stuff. Let your coaster person go off on their own. Plan to stay to the end, as the night time is beautiful. It should be included in your DC ticket so if you are only there a few hours and don't do much, it didn't cost you anything.

I would "ditto" everything Hopper said!!! :worship: :D

I completely agree! It was so awesome because we could switch to any seat we wanted each time the ride stopped so we tried the front, back, some places in the middle, and just kept riding over and over until we finally couldn't ride any longer. We didn't get sick, but 10 times is a lot to ride without getting off. Personally, I can't stand to look at the animals at Sea World because their living conditions are pretty bad, but I would go there just for the rides.
Is Seaworld's treatment of animals really that bad? I would have to imagine it's higher living conditions than your average aquarium

If you are going during the Christmas stuff I would just do a day at Seaworld, Their christmas stuff is amazing. Plus it could be too cold for water parks period. It would be a gamble up to the day but mornings will be chilly either way , just depends on the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!