Type of stroller for a 15 year old?

D L and K's Mom

<font color=blue>D, L and now baby Kennedy's mom!<
I am just curious...Does anyone have a good stroller for a 15 year old (weight 110lbs) DS is just too small and it does not recline at all. Does anyone have any great suggestions or links to sites? A wheelchair will not work as he cna't push himself and he puts his hands down on the wheels (Huge problem we foudn when he broke his pelvis and needed to use one for a month!!!) We are due for a new stroller. Anyone?? Any info would be great! Thanks.

There is something called a "transporter" chair. It has four wheels; it appears each is somewhere arout 6-8 inches. It is classified as a wheelchair. Often they are used for Alzheimer's patients as they cannot drive themselves.

I was also going to post a link to Adaptivemall.com, but several people beat me (a good thing).
One nice thing I have heard about them, is that they are very helpful on the phone with sizing info, etc. There is a link near the bottom of the page for sizing help. Some of the strollers on that site won't work for him because they might only go up to 110 pounds or the seat width is fairly small (15.5 inches).
This chair is an example from that site of the "transport chair" like Cheshire Figment mentioned. Here's another site with transport chairs. If you do an internet search for "transport chair" or "Companion chair", you will find all sorts.
Most of the transport chairs don't recline (they are sort of "plain vanilla" versions just to get someone from place to place). If you need reclining, this site is the home site for Convaid (one of the strollers that someone provided a link to). On their site, you can see what other choices they have available for larger kids and you could email some questions regarding the features you need.

You also want to check if your insurance will cover (if you have a 15 yr old in need of a stroller, they should cover it. The insurance company may cover at a higher rate if you use their "preferred provider" than if you just go anywhere for it. You would need a prescription and a "letter of medical necessity" if insurance will be involved. If your child already works with an OT or PT, they can help. If he doesn't, your school should have OT or PT as a resource. They may say that a stroller doesn't "fit" into school services, but if they would ever use it for field trips, it would.

Thank you all so much. These all look great. We have a Convaid stroller right now for David but he has outgrown it. I was told that the one we have was the largest they made....clearly after checking out the links you all so wonderfully sent that is NOT the case!!! Whew...what a relief. We were getting sort of worried, as David is getting older he is becoming more dependent on his stroller....we really need one that fits well. I never even thought of Companion chairs. I just looked up wheelchairs and thats what I got wheelchairs. Thank you all so much for the help. We have "fitting" fora new chair in a few weeks. I can now go and not be worried as I know that there are strollers out there for adults and larger children!! Thank you so much!!

Your welcome. My son is almost 11 ( 95 lbs.) and we just ordered the teenage one. We already have the smaller one and he is outgrowing it also. Our insurance covers the wheelchair so we get the Variety Club to pay for the stroller. Hope this helps..

Friends of mine had their son, a small 18 year old, in the Maclaren. He used to stay with me on Wed. evenings and I thought it was a great stroller. Much easier to manuver than the clunky wheelchair they had previously. Another benefit is that the mom could lift and open it and move him into it by herself, and it also folded up nicely and fit in the car easily. HTH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter